Film shorts as promotions? A quandry

I don't know what thread this goes into. It's about promotion, but I'm not promoting anything (and I think that's the main purpose of that thread), it's a question about a way of doing it....clear as mud? ;)

I keep writing and erasing, so I'll just say it this way.

If I wanted to get an idea out I have for a movie to studios or whoever, but I don't think a screenplay does it justice, is it common to shoot a "trailer" for the film, or maybe a 5-10 min scene (Effectively a short, but made mainly to promote an idea)? Of course, I could just over time film an entire film (sans 60 million dollar budget), couldn't I?

I know some shorts inspire full versions, but how many of those are made with the intent that "yea, I have a bigger vision in mind"? Or for all intents and purposes, that's a main function of a film short?

Can anyone kinda figure out what I'm saying here?:hmm::lol:

If you want to get an idea to a prodCo or studio a short film or
trailer doesn’t do that. A completed script does. And if your
screenplay cannot stand on its own then a trailer or scene won’t
help you - as a writer.

If you want to demonstrate your talent as a writer/director a
short film will do that.
I know some shorts inspire full versions, but how many of those are made with the intent that "yea, I have a bigger vision in mind"? Or for all intents and purposes, that's a main function of a film short?
This is very often the primary intent of a short. To show the
talent and skill of the writer and director in order to get
funding for a full length movie.

I know many people shoot a trailer - I don’t know of many (I can’t
think of a single one) that worked. But I know of many short films
that have been used as a showcase for a feature.

If you want to get an idea to a prodCo or studio a short film or
trailer doesn’t do that. A completed script does. And if your
screenplay cannot stand on its own then a trailer or scene won’t
help you - as a writer.

If you want to demonstrate your talent as a writer/director a
short film will do that.

This is very often the primary intent of a short. To show the
talent and skill of the writer and director in order to get
funding for a full length movie.

I know many people shoot a trailer - I don’t know of many (I can’t
think of a single one) that worked. But I know of many short films
that have been used as a showcase for a feature.

Okay, I see what you are getting at. I just have had this idea for a while (it's currently in a short story form), that I wanted to "bring to life", so to speak-and my idea went down the trailer/scene route. I'm probably better at making a short film to put that idea across.

I can write short stories no problem-trying to put them in a script or screenplay, that may be a bit different :) Thanks for taking the time to write-I value your expertise.

What is your goal?

To get your idea across to studios or whoever.
Or to show your skills as a director?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing your point. If you
cannot write a script to get your idea across but
you can make a short film to get your idea across
then it seems pretty clear to me that you need
to make a short film.

Is your goal to get a studios or whoever to buy a
script or to get them to finance a movie you will
write and direct?

What is your goal?

To get your idea across to studios or whoever.
Or to show your skills as a director?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing your point. If you
cannot write a script to get your idea across but
you can make a short film to get your idea across
then it seems pretty clear to me that you need
to make a short film.

Is your goal to get a studios or whoever to buy a
script or to get them to finance a movie you will
write and direct?

Well, you simply responding has given me questions I hadn't thought of: I (in my inherent newbie-ness) thought it was just a matter you send them a script/screenplay and it goes from there.

I didn't realise (but it makes sense in hindsight) that i had options. The first would be, as you said, writing a script/screenplay and selling it to them-hence the emphasis on the writing part. (To use an analogy-it's like saying "I'm better at writing ideas on paper then I am at filming them, so I'll write)

The second, I create a short film, with the idea that a studio, while not making it. would say, "yea, we like that idea-let's talk about funding"(and all that entales)(The analogy here-I'm not very good at writing screenplays, however I'm really good at putting my idea on film, so I'll film a short film).

I would guess in each scenario, you'd have your different sides of creative vision(the studio making the film will probably try and have a lot more say in what comes on the screen than if I make the film myself-though I'm sure even then they want some say-it is their money).

For me, although I've written some short stories, those are different (to me) than screenplays. Admittedly my ideas are pretty rough on paper, but I give myself a guideline, and create mainly through the camera and editing.

So, by answering one question, you've given me more to ponder (but that's good!):lol:

Interesting question Tin.

I think in the 100% DIY route (script to distribution) a short could be used to generate buzz about your feature, or just generate buzz about you. Which is about the same thing.

In the big leagues we have occurances like District 9 where the indie directors short fim got the attention of Jackson and got that indie director all the "gold he could eat" to make that (freaking awesome) movie. IF you haven't seen the short, check it out, its prety much the same production value as many of the shorts by the folks around here..

In a strange coincidence I think the movie "9" has the same sort of fairytale get rich over night aspect..

Shooting a trailer or teaser is something people like to do...especially as of late. I can see how it can show investors what the production company is capable of, and the concept of the film they'd like to shoot, but for the most part I think it's a waste of time and money. Most of these shorts don't go anywhere, and can either hurt the moral of the film if no interest is garnered, or halt it all together.

If you have an investor or distro company waiting to see a sample, then shoot a sample...but if you don't have anyone interested from the get-go, I'd say just shoot the entire picture. If the screenplay doesn't do it justice, then re-write the screenplay.

You have to start with a strong script. If you don't have that, then you shouldn't shoot anything.

Nothing is more impressive then when a production company can kick out a solid feature. And even more impressive is when you have several under your belt. Your features don't have to be shot on Red, or look amazing...but if they are well done, show that you can stretch a budget, and have unique ideas...that is what stands out to potential distributors or investors.

If you don't have a lot of experience in film...then shoot a few shorts to get experience. But don't shoot a short to gain investment, unless you already have a few nibbles.

My advice anyway.

Wheatgrinder-I thought about that idea too, about kind of using both for maximum effect.

I too found how both "9" movies originated from shorts, where the concept was picked up. :)

M1chea1-I'm just at the beginning stages of a lot. It has to do with a character I've developed a bit in short stories. I've had a couple of people in the industry "unofficially" read the story (they were friends of mine)and both remarked that there was a real opportunity for a franchise with the world and characters I created.

So I was thinking (with my interest in masking), about filming either a short or trailer(probably a short-could be a "scene' in the movie as it were-the character would come across as an odd hero/horror hybrid, and the ideas I had for her character(and her mask) are intriguing. It would be something that has good production values(better than I have now:lol:). Of course there is a solid story(I think) behind it, not just mindless killing-but a good story about identity, mythologies, and storytelling.

I am still putting working on other shorts, and honing my skills as it were, and soaking all information I can get from here :). When I feel daring and confident I'll take it further, but that's a ways yet.

If/when I shoot it, it will be for myself first, seeing it come to light and the joy of it. If I can ever sell the idea, that's just gravy, but not the be all and end all :)

Back