Film Is Dead

What! Dang... film still has a place.

I guess it was inevitable though. And as long as Kodak or Fuji makes it and someone develops it, I'm sure there will still be "films".

Panavision will still be renting film cameras for a long time to come. Sadly, only 'A' list directors will be given budgets that can afford the process.

Panavision's Genesis Hero is quite a digital motion picture camera. As a matter of fact, that's it on my avatar as a long term goal to shoot on one some day..

The world of film follows the world of audio. It's been a very long time (20 years?) since anyone has recorded on analog audio tape. While all of us old farts bemoan its loss the new generation will never miss it; I'm sure that the same will happen with film.

The FilmCraft tale is a sad one.

They did some telecine for me years ago.

Kodak's stock is not making feel that they will be in much business in 10 years... for anyone. Supposedly Spielberg bought over $2 million worth of film stock and put it in storage.

The world of film follows the world of audio. It's been a very long time (20 years?) since anyone has recorded on analog audio tape. While all of us old farts bemoan its loss the new generation will never miss it; I'm sure that the same will happen with film.

Steve Albini, as of the last interview I read with him (year and a half ago? two years? around then) still refuses to use anything other than tape and analogue gear. His studio has digital gear, but he never touches it. I seem to recall something about the guy from Bright Eyes building an analogue/tape only studio too. I imagine in 20 years there will still be some people who insist on shooting only on film because they can.

But, yeah, your point stands. Only a few people on the fringe still insist on doing things the old way, and for the most part, the audiences don't really care.

Many (certainly not most) artists still use analog recording gear for the same reason that people are still using old analog Moogs.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm kind of shocked they've already stopped making film cameras considering how new digital is to the scene. But I'm sure there will always be those who prefer to shoot on film, even if they were born in 2015.

Until the mole people take over, at least.

I didn't say analog gear, I said analog tape.
Sorry, you're right. I think I saw Josh's post and just wanted to use it as a segue into a discussion about how film cameras are going the way of the vinyl album and aren't simply just going to die out.

:yes:

Frankly, I see this news as a positive. Sorry.

Many recording artists still prefer analog tape and analog equipment for recording music. Slash says he records demos on protools but records on analog tape for a real record. The Toadies use tape. The Foo Fighters recorded their newest album on analog tape. The vintage equipment makes things sound better to me. I plan on getting an analog master on my next demo tracks.

I am sure film will always be popular.

Last edited:
I love film too, but when you look at the highest of the high end digital cameras (see Zacuto shootout) like the Alexa side by side with film stock... just not much difference as far as dynamic range, color quality, etc...

Film Is Dead
Does the Red-1 camera really look THAT much like film?

Speaking of audio, I remember a time when you had to spend massive amounts of money to record 16 tracks.
$16,000 Tascam M3700 32 Channer mixer
$10,000 Tascam 16 Track
$500.00 Yamaha SPX-90
$2,000 Lexicon Reverb
$2,000 Korg 01/W keyboard

Now you just need a computer, multi-track software for about $1,000, the Waves Diamond bundle for $1,400 (or download off a torrent site for free), and some virtual synths that cost no more that $200 each.

"Does the Red-1 camera really look THAT much like film?"

I think the Arri Alexa looks better than the Red, but either, in the right hands, can produce something basically indistinguishable from film. A few issues to work around (Red has rolling shutter issues for example like all CMOS sensors), but the upsides cost-wise make it worth it to a lot people.

I love shooting film still cameras, still own several, still shoot them sometimes, but the convenience, cost, ease of use, etc... of digital at some point wins over all, but the most diehard once the quality difference becomes small.

Back