Figuring out how good this is.

w1crcm.gif

Thoughts?

1 / 0.07 = 14.285714 repeating

I'm no expert on stop motion, but I thought it looked pretty good. The lighting changes a bit at times, and at one point the camera pans to the right and then jerk to left before continuing to the right. Pretty good for a test shot though.

1 / 0.07 = 14.285714 repeating

I'm no expert on stop motion, but I thought it looked pretty good. The lighting changes a bit at times, and at one point the camera pans to the right and then jerk to left before continuing to the right. Pretty good for a test shot though.

.056 is 18fps

.0416 is 24fps

.04 is 25 fps

So that works out to 1.75/25 so 13-15 fps somewhere there abouts??

Ah okay, that makes more sense - I haven't seen frame rates expressed as a decimal before, cheers chaps.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it figured out back in the day that 24 fps is the slowest speed in which motion is fluid and flicker is removed? They figured this out to minimize the amount of footage (as in measurement) that was required saving money.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it figured out back in the day that 24 fps is the slowest speed in which motion is fluid and flicker is removed? They figured this out to minimize the amount of footage (as in measurement) that was required saving money.

I think 16 fps is the minimum and 24 fps is the minimum for playing back synchronised sound, but I can't find a source so I may be wrong…

I think 16 fps is the minimum and 24 fps is the minimum for playing back synchronised sound, but I can't find a source so I may be wrong…

I think you're right. This why the first Super 8 cameras ran at 18 fps. If I'm not mistaken. Then later with the sound cameras you had the option to film at 24 fps.

That sounds familiar now that you mention it, so I did the Wiki:

Through experience in the early days of film innovation, it was determined that a frame rate of less than 16 frames per second caused the mind to see flashing images. Audiences still interpret motion at rates as low as ten frames per second or slower (as in a flipbook), but the flicker caused by the shutter of a film projector is distracting below the 16-frame threshold.

I'm going to stay out of this because I have nothing valid to offer. :cool:

I'm never going to be overawed by the sight of slightly moving action figures but it looks pretty good for what it is.

Try and even out the lighting would be my advice.

Thanks! :D I will definitely be working on the lighting. I just had my basic lamp standing up. I need to buy clamp lights or a different light set up.

I will do this animation again. ;)

I think the way you've got the lighting set up is fine. The problem is in the fact that it's changing from frame to frame, giving it a distracting 'strobe' effect.

Are you using manual or auto exposure on your camera?

Back