• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feedback Request - Modern Family Spec script

Well, unlike the FG spec, you managed to get the mandatory interleaving stories done (well, almost - Alex and Mitch get next to nothing to do). Unlike FG, I've watched every single episode of MF, and read up on the writing process etc., so make of my comments what you will :)

The stories all seem out of character - possibly the only one I can imagine in a MF episode is the Jay one. I think part of the reason for this is that the entire Cam/Mitch story and the Gloria story rely solely on a non-core character for any humour. More problematic for me is that they're not very funny. There were a few good lines, but the comedy in a good MF episode is less from jokes or zingers (though they are quite common) - it's all about characters, and I don't think you capture them very well. Also, the end is quite abrupt, and you don't capture the 'wrap-up', moral VO/montage monologue that generally ends MF episodes - probably because there was nothing resembling a moral.

Sorry! :)

Well, unlike the FG spec, you managed to get the mandatory interleaving stories done (well, almost - Alex and Mitch get next to nothing to do). Unlike FG, I've watched every single episode of MF, and read up on the writing process etc., so make of my comments what you will :)

The stories all seem out of character - possibly the only one I can imagine in a MF episode is the Jay one. I think part of the reason for this is that the entire Cam/Mitch story and the Gloria story rely solely on a non-core character for any humour. More problematic for me is that they're not very funny. There were a few good lines, but the comedy in a good MF episode is less from jokes or zingers (though they are quite common) - it's all about characters, and I don't think you capture them very well. Also, the end is quite abrupt, and you don't capture the 'wrap-up', moral VO/montage monologue that generally ends MF episodes - probably because there was nothing resembling a moral.

Sorry! :)

OK. Thanks for the feedback.

Back