• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FCP to Apple Color...

I hope someone can answer me this quick question... So, If I resend my timeline to Apple Color after getting it back to FCP... and color grade again... Will I lose any quality?... I mean can I resend the same timeline a dozen of times, back and forth without losing quality??...

Not sure the inner workings of the package... I would assume that if you are using an uncompressed format, the answer would be no... but if you are exporting a compressed version of the first grade, then the answer is yes. Not sure how color works.

Not sure why you'd want to do that anyway. You can reopen your project in Color anytime and tweak the settings then re-export just the altered shots.

That's fine... but sometimes after exporting to FCP, I add new clips to the timeline and again send the sequence to Apple Color... and since there are a lot of clips (rock music video) I really don't want to copy and paste them, I want to keep the editing in one sequence...

You can save your newly edited sequence from Final Cut as XML. Then open the original Color project and choose "reconform" from the file menu, select the XML file when prompted, and it should update your color project with all the new edits. Works most of the time, at least in the most recent version (I remember it being a little buggy in the first version of color).

Also, if you just resend the sequence as you described and only color correct the new clips, then those should be the only ones you need to render in Color. In that case the other clips will be exactly the same when you go back to FCP with no loss in quality.

You can save your newly edited sequence from Final Cut as XML. Then open the original Color project and choose "reconform" from the file menu, select the XML file when prompted, and it should update your color project with all the new edits. Works most of the time, at least in the most recent version (I remember it being a little buggy in the first version of color).

Also, if you just resend the sequence as you described and only color correct the new clips, then those should be the only ones you need to render in Color. In that case the other clips will be exactly the same when you go back to FCP with no loss in quality.

I'll try that one next time, as for now, I haven't noticed any quality lost... everything seems to go fine...

Back