Favourite "slow burner" movies? (Euro Dramas)

Von Trier only made one dogme film... The Idiots...

I love the range of visual styles he has in his early work... really shows a guy finding his range... Some beautiful collabs with Dod Mantle as well!

Wait really?

I thought he was the guy who wrote the whole ruleset? Is he not the Dancer In The Dark guy? Am I confusing him with someone else, or just attributing that ruleset to more films than it technically applied to?

Wait really?

I thought he was the guy who wrote the whole ruleset? Is he not the Dancer In The Dark guy? Am I confusing him with someone else, or just attributing that ruleset to more films than it technically applied to?

The last part....:) yer right in that Von Trier and Vinterberg came up with the whole Dogme95 manifesto and hawked it around the world. Vinterberg made Dogme#1 - Festen, Von Trier made Dogme#2 - The Idiots...and so on it went with different filmakers (Harmony Korine did #6).

There's still plenty of overlap of ideas in his other films though (shakey cam, jump cuts, bad (!) lighting) but the 'manifesto' is pretty strict.

(In his film The Boss Of It All - Von Trier had a computer programme decide all the camera angles, compositions and edits).

Von Trier has a well deserved bad reputation for being a total knobhead, but as a filmaker I think he's as close as we have to Kubrick at the moment!!!

The last part....:) yer right in that Von Trier and Vinterberg came up with the whole Dogme95 manifesto and hawked it around the world. Vinterberg made Dogme#1 - Festen, Von Trier made Dogme#2 - The Idiots...and so on it went with different filmakers (Harmony Korine did #6).

There's still plenty of overlap of ideas in his other films though (shakey cam, jump cuts, bad (!) lighting) but the 'manifesto' is pretty strict.

(In his film The Boss Of It All - Von Trier had a computer programme decide all the camera angles, compositions and edits).

Von Trier has a well deserved bad reputation for being a total knobhead, but as a filmaker I think he's as close as we have to Kubrick at the moment!!!

Interesting, so far fewer films than I actually thought. Julian-Donkey Boy is fascinating, not one of my favorite movies or anything, but something about Harmony Korine's stuff I find interesting in a sociological way. Besides, how can you watch Werner Herzog drink Robitussin out of a leather shoe and not absolutely love it? :lol:

I guess I'll have to delve more into Von Trier then. ;)

I think the knobhead reputation he happened to be earning about the same time I was going through a "phase" of my own. I developed an irrational and relatively baseless dislike for Jim Jarmusch's films around the same time, I've since come a round on most of his work, but I still can't stand Stranger Than Paradise or whatever it was called. But I loved Fishing With John. Go figure.

I think the knobhead reputation he happened to be earning about the same time I was going through a "phase" of my own. I developed an irrational and relatively baseless dislike for Jim Jarmusch's films around the same time, I've since come a round on most of his work, but I still can't stand Stranger Than Paradise or whatever it was called. But I loved Fishing With John. Go figure.

ha ha... Had plenty irrational hatreds myself... they are cool... like small hobbies.. have them for a while and then burn them off, hate something else!!!

"Anger is an Energy" as some other knobhead once said.

:D

Wait really?

He made one Dogme 95 film, The Idiots, which was part of the Golden Heart trilogy. The other two, Dancer in the Dark and Breaking the Waves were inspired by the Dogme 95 films. He used non-digetic music, violence, and lighting. Breaking the Waves was set in the past, used dubbed music, and had a few VFX in it.

He was one of the original creators of it, but not the only person who did it.

I watched Hotel by Jessica Hausner which was recommended in this thread. Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Great slow euro pace!

Also watched Side Effects which I didn't like.

Broken Flowers.

Thanks, will add this to the list.

Did not know this. I will check it out.

I enjoyed The Millennium Trilogy from Sweden.

I watched the first one and didn't like it so I didn't bother with the rest. I had watched The Secret in Their Eyes (El Secreto De Sus Ojos) that same day and LOVED it to bits.

Back