Extreme newbie

Hey everyone!

This is my first post to this forum and I have a couple of questions to ask regarding film-making. I would like to know what would be a cheap and efficient camera to buy, and some basics on what's involved in the actual filming process. Bear in mind that I'm only 16 years old and I live in a small isolated community in Newfoundland so there's not much action to film...:( But I aspire to become a recognized film-maker and I'm a good writer so maybe there's hope! lol

Welcome!

At your age and budget (assuming you don't have much) -- I wouldn't worry to much about what camera to get. To get started, your cheapest option is likely a miniDV consumer camera. In USA, these run $200 to $300. It really doesn't matter which one you get, because they are all about equally good/bad. If you like a certain brand like Sony, Panasonic, Cannon, then go with that. Just make sure you get a Firewire cable so you can dump your video onto your PC for editing. You don't need a professional camera to learn the basics of movie making. Just get something in your hands and get started!

Most PCs now come with a movie editing program. You can learn by starting with that, then upgrade when you feel ready for it.

Bear in mind that I'm only 16 years old and I live in a small isolated community in Newfoundland so there's not much action to film...:( But I aspire to become a recognized film-maker and I'm a good writer so maybe there's hope! lol

Welcome, and it's great to see another young mind getting into pictures!

There's some great deals out there on Mini-DV cameras, like John said above, make sure it's got a firewire port and a microphone input. Sooner or later you are going to want to kick up the quality of the sound.

And never think about where you are as a negative, look around and you'll be surprised how isolated locations can play into your movies. It's a funny irony that people in areas that are more built up long for isolated places and people in the isolated areas yearn for busy streets and bright lights to film! :)

It's a fun hobby/business/obsession and this is a great place to kick around ideas and learn.

Welcome! I think your location actually sounds exciting, a unique spot for visuals, imagine the possibilities for a short film in your area, the coast of Newfoundland and all. Be optimistic, make a list of possible resources and locations where you live and nearb then use that to contemplate a short film story that you might write and film.

This is my first post to this forum and I have a couple of questions to ask regarding film-making. I would like to know what would be a cheap and efficient camera to buy, and some basics on what's involved in the actual filming process. Bear in mind that I'm only 16 years old and I live in a small isolated community in Newfoundland so there's not much action to film...:( But I aspire to become a recognized film-maker and I'm a good writer so maybe there's hope! lol

Welcome to the jungle.

Get a cheap cam and start shooting. By the time you hit college you can have an impressive number of shorts completed. Try to learn something new with every project you undertake. And always remember that practice makes perfect.

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a young inspired film-maker. I am currently writing a script for a TV-Series I'm directing AND filming for some friends. I'm even younger than you. I'm 13 years old :) I got a Canon HD camcorder (Not the huge ones) and have shot some test videos; projects. They are good but remember you need a good editing software too. I'm planning to get an audio shotgun soon also.

Have fun!
Jeremy

Thanks everyone you've been helpful.

The only hard part about filming in my area will be trying to get people to act in it. Haha. Because as someone said before it is a very ideal and magnificant location for scenery, wildlife, natural and artificial landmarks (old abandoned US stations from WWII could be used for something? A lot more history as well...)

I also don't know much about angling each scene but that probably comes with experimentation and research.

Another question I have is what would be the best film school in Canada to attend? Or am I better off going to the States?

What would be a step up from the miniDV's? I have a part-time job and my funds currently exceed $1000. I could pay around $250 and get my grandmother to spot me the other $250 since my birthday is coming up soon to cut back on major expense.

Last edited:
I'll give you the most important piece of advice possible:

Your location does not limit you. 10+ years ago it may have, but not anymore. If you have found your way to this website, there is no limit to the technological and procedural knowledge available to you in the way of websites, books, and DVD's.

Plus, look at it this way. If you start making REALLY good films there, chances are you can make a lot of waves and get a lot of support. Move to LA and you'd be hard pressed to get many people to even look at your films.

All of that said, PLEASE use the search feature here at indietalk because this question is answered often.

Back