• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Exposing for a dark scene

Hey guys,

I think I class myself as a fairly knowledgable cinematographer for a student, but there's just a question that I'm curious about, because I'm sure some people have different opinions of it.

When exposing for a dark and gloomy scene, would it be better to:

- Light the scene as you'd hope the final product to look (i.e potential crushed blacks)

- Or exposure the entirety of the scene within the dynamic range of the camera (zones 1 to 10), and then adjust the footage accordingly in post-production

I can assume people would rather maintain detail, so that they have more artistic manoeuvre in post, but i've seen a lot of professional DP's intentionally overexpose and underexpose on set.

Thanks

Last edited:
Always, always, always light the scene. You have much more control, you get exactly what you want, and it looks better.

Night lighting is about specifically designing your lighting, rather than using less light. Backlight is generally your friend, though backlighting is generally your friend no matter what really.

Hot spots are good, and also keep in mind that what is real is not always what is believable. You can get away with so much with lighting.

Use lighting to create a look. Use the grade to help perfect the look. IMHO, you want to be finessing and matching colours in the grade, not designing whole scenes and shots from the ground up.

If you want to start thinking about how to light such scenes:

Miller%27s_Crossing_Example.jpg

Gaffer Guy Holt says this in another forum about the above image:

It is a common fallacy that dark scene’s like this are “underexposed.” This scene is not underexposed, but rather the reflective values of the objects in the scene are carefully balanced (placed on the film’s characteristic curve) relative to the key tone by lighting so that most of the scene remains dark but serves up the full contrast range the film emulsion is capable of. In other words, even though the scene is correctly exposed, nothing in the scene is “correctly” exposed. The flesh tones are underexposed and the lampshade is over exposed in order to create the mood of the scene.

Last edited:
Yea this is an intresting question and i made the fatal mistake of using less light as a student. Doing this just gives you a noisy image as the camera couldnt capture the information. The other fatal mistake you can do is do day for night and film in bright sunlight. This is because when you take it in post and desaturate, lower contrast etc you will have too much overall contrast and will break the effect.

Best thing you can do is film in a controlled enviroment or if its outside on an overcast day. Also make sure your keylight or lights are motivated. Typical lighting for night is an obstructed keylight representing moonlight. As in this example below where the moonlight is getting obstructed by trees. But this could be moonlight through a window or a candle etc.

Supernatural-s8-ep12-Sam-and-Dean-in-graveyard-at-night.png

jax_rox, the example you used (and Gaffer Guy Holt quote)... I'm very new to this (much newer than the OP), so did they make the scene much darker in post then? Ie the scene was filmed with 'proper' lighting (exposed correctly - not under or over-exposed) and the scene was adjusted in post - say made 30%+ darker to the picture shown in your post?

Or did they light that scene as close to as shown in that photo? Which would probably be possible with a pro camera (Red?) and very expensive glass.

I'm assuming the former given 'Always, always, always light the scene.' but I may be interpreting your answer incorrectly...

I shot our indoor night scenes with little light and purposefully under-exposed them. The results looked good on my field monitor (Small HD AC7) at time of shooting but on my editing laptop's <$300 monitor the footage looks awful - far too dark. We're probably going to have to re-shoot those scenes.

Last edited:
jax_rox, the example you used (and Gaffer Guy Holt quote)... I'm very new to this (much newer than the OP), so did they make the scene much darker in post then? Ie the scene was filmed with 'proper' lighting (exposed correctly - not under or over-exposed) and the scene was adjusted in post - say made 30%+ darker to the picture shown in your post?

Or did they light that scene as close to as shown in that photo? Which would probably be possible with a pro camera (Red?) and very expensive glass.

I'm assuming the former given 'Always, always, always light the scene.' but I may be interpreting your answer incorrectly...

I shot our indoor night scenes with little light and purposefully under-exposed them. The results looked good on my field monitor (Small HD AC7) at time of shooting but on my editing laptop's <$300 monitor the footage looks awful - far too dark. We're probably going to have to re-shoot those scenes.

I think if you're going to purposefully underexpose a scene, you have to ensure your monitor is gamma corrected for the shoot, otherwise the colours and brightness values will be unrepresentative of what the camera captures.

What the others are essentially saying is that you light the scene correctly exposed, and the darken the image in post. For example, in the photo of "Supernatural", their faces are probably lit at around 50% exposure, with the motivational light from the side (coming through the tress) is probably around 70-80% using HMIs. Then when you pop it in post, they can underexpose their skin tones to 30-40%, whilst having the motivated light at 50-60% exposure.

What the others are essentially saying is that you light the scene correctly exposed, and the darken the image in post. For example, in the photo of "Supernatural", their faces are probably lit at around 50% exposure, with the motivational light from the side (coming through the tress) is probably around 70-80% using HMIs. Then when you pop it in post, they can underexpose their skin tones to 30-40%, whilst having the motivated light at 50-60% exposure.
That's not what I'm saying at all! And that's unlikely as to how this scene was shot/exposed.

When you have a camera system/format/stock you should always test it, and take it through your post workflow to find out the latitude of the system/format/stock. This was very commonplace during the days of film, and you would shoot a short test roll of film starting at normal exposure, then gradually over-exposing one stop at a time and vice versa - after that underexposing one stop at a time. Once the footage had been processed, you would have a look at the results, and see the point at which you'd be happy to over- or under- expose a part of the image by a certain amount and still keep detail, and similarly, how much you'd need to under- or over- expose a part of the image for it to contain no detail at all.
With digital, you should definitely still do this. Find out the latitude of your format.

Then, once on set you can make informed decisions based on the latitude of your stock.

In the example of the Miller's Crossing shot, when Guy Holt says 'nothing in the shot is "correctly" exposed' what he means is that everything has been decided upon in accordance with the film stock and lens T stop to give it the exact look you see.

What I mean is, the DP goes in to the scene and decides that he wants to shoot the scene at let's say T2.8. Then, he carefully crafts the lighting to get the image you see in that shot.
For example:

'Correct exposure' would suggest that the talent's face should be exposed at T2.8. In this shot, this is not the case. There's a reverse key motivated from the lamp (though likely the light being cast on his face is coming from a light fixture rather than from the lamp) meaning the camera side of his face falls perhaps two-stops under (i.e. the light meter would say 1.4). The DP has done tests with this stock, so he knows that he will still hold the detail at two stops under.
The lamp itself is probably a stop over (i.e. the light meter would say 4.0) but the DP knows he will still hold the detail. His hands are perhaps around 'normal' exposure.

You could light this scene exactly the same whether you were at T2.8, T5.6 or T8.0. At T2.8 you might use a 500w light for the talent's reverse key, at T5.6 you might need a 2k to get the same effect.
This is why I always advocate lighting your scene and exposing accordingly, at least for digital. This shot looks more like it's shot about T5.6 as it's pretty deep focus. The DP could have opened up to T2.8 and let them darken it in post - but why would he? He's already getting what he wants out of the scene. It would take more time and money in post for them to darken the scene and he'd get the same image as if he'd just shot it at T5.6.
Of course, when working with film the DP would have rolled off a few seconds of a grey card and colour chart so that when it goes through the colour timing process, the timer knows where the exposure levels are meant to be. That, however, is different from essentially 'over' exposing to allow post to darken the image. When working with film, it's relatively commonplace to over-expose everything by 1/3-2/3 of a stop or more to create a denser negative, hold more detail and get finer grain. This is different again, and not something I'd recommend doing in digital. Film holds more details in the highlights, whereas digital tends to hold more detail in the shadows.

In the example of what seems to be a shot from Supernatural above, the light hitting them is probably a stop to a stop and a half under. The lens might be set to T2.8 and the light metering at T2.0.

Again, having said that - it's quite possible that the light was metering at T2.8 or even T4.0 and they've adjusted the crap out of it in post. I can't really see any reason for them to have done that, however. It's relatively easy to bring the HMI's squeezer down, put ND gel on the HMI or put an ND filter on the camera if you really wanted to expose at T2.8 but you were getting a bit too much out of the light.

Always know what you want, and don't make more work for post if you don't have to. Your Producer's will thank you when the bill comes in.

And in terms of your specific workflow, I'd suggest investing in a light meter :). I always use my meter, and I'll use my false colour in conjunction with my meter when shooting digital.

Last edited:
So do you oppose GuerrillaAngel? That if you can expose it to your aesthetic in production, there's no need to expose for manoeuvrability in post?

I did a test shoot in my film set in uni, where I intentionally underexposed and crushed some blacks to mimic a scene in No Country For Old Men. When editing it, it didn't give me much freedom, but that's not to say that I'm displeased with the final product.

ScreenShot2013-07-29at002458_zps53c5a321.png

It was a simple setup: exposing for the motivated lights, with a 650w redhead key /w ND diffuser, 200w dedo kicker, and another squeezed 650w background fixture /w ND diffuser.

By crushing the blacks, you've lost all definition in the talent's right arm. All there is now is just a pool of black. I'd have thrown in a soft backlight motivated by the back lamp.

What I'm saying is decide what you want before you get on set. Delve into the detail of the script, look at the mood that you want to portray, the feeling, the idea of the scene. What do you want to portray? And then light accordingly with your knowledge of the format/stock's latitude.

It's all made harder if you're shooting on a DSLR, because you only have about 6 or so stops of latitude to light within. That's okay, you just need to keep that in mind when you're lighting. And that's precisely the reason I advocate getting it right 'in-camera' with a DSLR simply because there's barely any room to play in post, especially without introducing extra noise and banding.

Last edited:
Very helpful thread.

Thanks for the detailed explanation jax_rox. Priceless advice, thank you so much.

Iopsis - fantastic thread. Thanks to all contributors.

:) :) :)

Last edited:
Back