Experience w/ Genie Lifts?

I have a 60' Genie Lift being donated for a short we're currently shooting. Get it on Friday and have it for the weekend. I've used them before but only for photography. Do they have any practical use in a moving shot - as in shooting while the arm is moving? They have herky jerk starts and stops, and when they're telescoping they'll vibrate, but has anyone tried to use one as a moving crane shot substitute? No telescoping during the shot, but just moving of the arm by starting the move before your shot and then stop it after the shot?

Then assuming we can move it through the shot - what's the best way to manage the camera? Tripod? (I worry about vibrations), Shoulder mount or stedicam? I'm guessing a stedicam would be the best but I don't own one and would have to get one brought in this week.

but has anyone tried to use one as a moving crane shot substitute?
I have tried it.

You will find they have exactly the problems you mention - they
are not smooth, they sway, they vibrate. I suppose that using a
stedicam (a real one) would help with some of the problems, but
not very well. A camera operator who is very experienced with
smooth, hand held shots will be able to compensate a bit.

I would never use one again, but I have used one a few times.
So should you. Meet the challenge. It's worth the effort.

Thanks for the feedback Directorik. I was guessing as much. We'll definitely be using it, but is helpful to know limitations from someone who has tried it so we aren't wasting too much time trying to pull off overly complicated shots. There's plenty that can be gotten with it stationary.

Last edited:
I've done a couple of shots from a similar lift, but we ended up locking it off so we could use a tripod. If the lift's moving, a tripod is the worst option, as the vibrations will go right up the legs and into the camera. As Rik said, an experienced camera operator shooting handheld is your best bet (if you could afford a Steadicam operator and rig, the money would probably be better spent on a proper crane).

Good luck, and don't look down!

Yep, same here. Used them a couple of times, but never in motion. Split my head open on the safety rail climbing into one while shooting a car commercial -- still have the scar. It's easier than you think to get focused on the job and forget to duck. :blush:

Back