Ex Software guy in MD

sfoster

Staff Member
Okay so I've been here for a while.. but I never made a welcome thread :)

I started programming when I was 12 (18 years ago), and I loved it as my creative outlet for a long time. But at this point I would be happy never to code again. Frankly you guys wouldn't even believe me if I said the BS that I've had to deal with at different jobs. Such as getting fired for outshining superiors :no: Yes and in both cases when that happened, after I left things went to shit and my superiors were gone within a couple of months. One company even completely abandoned their software product without me there to hold it down :lol:

It's a small vindication, but I'm so sick of being used and thrown away that I've sworn off the industry. My whole life I've been screwed by 'the man' like you wouldn't believe. It's just my fate.. I even graduated college with a computer science degree.. walked across the stage in front of my family, shook hands with my professors… and a month later got a letter in the mail saying that there was a bug in their software and one of my classes no longer counted. Isn't that strange, you'd think that a college degree is something people can never take away from you. It's not true. Anyone can take anything from you, remember that. I'm still at 117 credits 8 years later, but no one ever questioned my degree on my resume. Why would they, I have my education and I'm extremely talented. All I'm missing is like.. a singing class. Hell, anything. Wouldn't matter.

Way back in 2006 I was filmed for a documentary called Last Cup by a couple of academy award winning directors. They were doing a documentary on Beer Pong, and I'm one of the best players in the country. Although I have barely played the last two years at all, I've moved on. Stilll it was one of the best experiences I've had, it was quite an honor. They won for best documentary on their next project, Undefeated, and are currently working on their first narrative feature!

When I saw them accept an oscar for directing that really inspired me. It made me think that this isn't just a pipe dream, and that if you have the talent it's something you can really set out and achieve!!

If you'd like to see a little clip of yours truly from that film, here it is
https://vimeo.com/88344712

Password is pitbull in honor of my amazing dog vladimir :)
He is four years old, diabetic with food allergies. I give him shots twice a day, test his blood and regulate his diet. He's a great dog and in spite of all his health issues he is still very happy.

Wanna bet? I'm in the same business, and I've got plenty of stories of my own...

Hah well maybe you would then. But I understand how some people might be skeptical when you talk about outperforming your boss and getting fired for it. There's always two sides to a story, etc.. most people have their heads up their ass and very few of us are actually objective. So why would anyone assume I am in the minority. but yeah with someone else in the industry maybe it will ring true

You guys should watch my doc link I posted!
It shows off an little invention I made, some fancy calculus I did (in my own handwriting) and a software app I had written for my own personal use. It's a pretty cool clip if I do say so myself!

And made by very talented people

another software guy here.. but Im still in it, and have no intention of quitting. I work for a big company, I do lots of interesting things and sometimes I travel. I have plenty of vacation time to spend on movies, plus you know, money.

real software money around here is top secret government work. you can make about 200k / year

I'm content with my current salary (about half that) without the headache of government BS. Regular client BS is bad enough.. :lol:

Yeah I never wanted to deal with the government BS either, although the private sector BS was apparently too much for me as well. No one gives a damn about results in either sector.

It's okay I am going to break into the movie business in two more years :yes:

Heh, beer pong is a crazy sport. I spent a lot of time in various collegetowns, including DE & MD, back in the late '90s - I have never seen so much hardcore dedication to the game (and angry drinking, in general!) in any other part of the country. It was nuts. :cool:

Glad to see you survived it! I'd like to see the whole doc, actually. :yes:

It shows off an little invention I made, some fancy calculus I did (in my own handwriting) and a software app I had written for my own personal use. It's a pretty cool clip if I do say so myself!

Yeah, I saw the calculus - pretty cool! Great intro. :)

Sorry the software world so sucks these days... A computer science degree/programming ability was once a great career choice, now... with outsourcing, I would not recommend it... I know far too many people whose jobs have been off-shored to India etc... Far too many... The hi-tech/leading-edge-software dev experience and skillset is very soon (already?) going to be overseas, and the USA/Canada will be seriously exposed... Terrible...

We destroyed our manufacturing base, now it's software and the service industry. What jobs are left for us? Any... All for the almighty $$$ and short-term 'shareholder value', executed by American CEO's and MBA's on their million + dollar salaries with no thought given to the long-term.

Last edited:
haha....I was doing government software work in DC before moving back to my hometown to do more gov't work....before throwing it all away to pursue acting in los angeles....haven't looked back since.

Bask in my nerdiness…
I made this as an audition tape for that show king of the nerds..

they were really excited about it and wanted me on the show, but then i had just lost my job and everything was a mess and I didn't commit to it. Oh well I probably would have been out nerded anyway :)

But check this out!
you might learn something. and maybe laugh a little.
I did take out the last few minutes, because it's bats hit crazy and I'm not sure I want to expose you nice people to my insanity just yet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg1I0cUhuts

Back