Esitial Kit for DSLR (T2i)

OK, im pretty much done, finished, I cant fight this feeling any longer. Take me t2i, take me now!

After I buy the camera, Im dumping ALL my other gear. My tripod, 35mm adapter, camera, lenses, shoulder rig, external monitor,Beachtek preamp, follow focus, all of it. To buy one or two QUALITY items.

(I have my external audio kit and will keep that)

The tripod is HUGE and I want something lighter and more portable. I want to simplify.

So aside from camera and lenses, what is essential?
Extra batteries
Extra mem Cards
LCD View finder
Tripod
???

Hoodman Eye loupe ... there is a DIY on youtube on how to use a popup shade adapter to allow the loupe to pop on and off.

Generic Battery Grip fill it w/ 6 AA batteries and go long !

If you are doing a long day of shooting.. you might fill up 3 32gb cards mebbe 4 , but dang, you will be tired.

The Zacuto Z-Finders work well. I have the Pro 3X, but there is a 2.5X model, also. Getting critical focus outdoors is very difficult without one. There are other brands, but I haven't used them and don't have anything good or bad to say about them.

Are you going to use a rail system?

ND filters are important to drop some stops for that cool bokeh effect outdoors.

MaxPower for LP-E8 batteries work well and are worth the money.

Last edited:
Thanks IndieBudget, I was looking in to the hoodman and the mount put me right off. I had stumbled upon the CARRY SPEED LCD VIEW FINDER 3:2 (cheaper then the hoodman) but looks better to me.

That said, Ill likely go for the Letus Hawk. (less expensive then the zfinder, but still pricy)
For cards I like having two 16gb over one 32gb.

I had a go with the LCDVF 3:2 (designed for the 550D/T2i's screen) last weekend and really liked it. Well-designed eyepiece, lightweight, and the (removable) magnetic frame seemed like much less faff than a clip.

Is it not worth keeping your shoulder rig and follow focus?

Welcome to the dark side!

To those who've used battery grips -- have you noticed a reduction in overheating? If so, I think that's a very valuable purchase. If they don't reduce overheating, I don't really see the point. Generic batteries are dirt-cheap, and they take seconds to swap out.

On the viewfinder/z-finder topic: I shot "Antihero" without either. Focusing was never an issue. Then again, I didn't do any follow-focusing. I can imagine, in that instance, a z-finder would be rather important.

I'm intrigued by this guy:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/sony-outs-clm-v55-video-monitor-for-interchangeable-lens-cameras/

It's supposed to be inexpensive. But since you can't monitor in HD, would it be any help at all, as far as focusing is concerned? Could it even be a hinderance?

wheat, if you get a z-finder, I recommend finding one that is quick and easy to take off and put on. I actually find many situations in which the z-finder doesn't help one bit (my b-cam operator brought his to a shoot, and we barely used it). Again, though, I wasn't doing any follow-focus, so...

As far as big rigs are concerned, I'm actually not convinced that they're worth anywhere near the premium price. I kinda think glass is a better investment.

Oh, and for memory, two 16GB cards is more than enough. A lot of people forget that you can quickly and instantly erase bad takes. I'm not talking about the bad take when the actor delivered a performance that you weren't quite happy with -- you should save those, because a lot of times, once you get in post, you realize that what you initially didn't like is actually perfect. No, I'm talking about those takes when you roll camera and audio, and then sit there for two minutes waiting for that airplane to pass, and then the old lady across the street is yelling for her cat, and then a car drives by, and then you can hear a dump-truck backing up in the distance, and then you finally say "cut", without ever getting anything. Yeah, you can erase that. If you are diligent with your memory, a normal narrative shoot would not get anywhere near 32GB in one day.

Lastly, I assume you've considered all other options, but just to be safe I thought I'd ask -- are you at all tempted by the 60D or GH1? I haven't researched it extensively, cuz I'm not in the market for a camera, but the little bits of info I've caught on both of those cameras make me think they might be a better option.

For cards I like having two 16gb over one 32gb.
THEN I recommend getting 6 16gb cards if you do not like 32gbs... I have filled 2 32gb cards in a day. If you are going to do any serious production, you can shoot 90 - 100gb in a full day, so stock up on 16gb cards, they go FAST !

Cracker, I guess we disagree on the card issue, but to each his own.

I did not have any serious overheating w/ the grip installed. Maybe got the temp sensor to come on once or twice in a day. One thing the optional grip did do was increase the weight of the cam making it more stable, helped with any run & gun shooting handheld or on a rig.

Last edited:
THEN I recommend getting 6 16gb cards if you do not like 32gbs... I have filled 2 32gb cards in a day. If you are going to do any serious production, you can shoot 90 - 100gb in a full day, so stock up on 16gb cards, they go FAST !

Well, it's like you said, Indiebudget -- we all have our own methods, and what works for one person might not work for another person, etc.

However, to be completely honest, I hope you don't mind me saying, I can't help but wonder what you're doing to fill up so much space. On my most recent shoot, we covered an average of six pages per day, over the course of 20 days, at many different locations. We shot 10 hours per day, and those were 10 busy hours of shooting. And we did it with one single 16GB card. I only recall two or three occasion when we needed to dump the card later in the day, to clear the memory to continue shooting.

I guess if you've got the money to spend, go ahead and get a bunch of cards. But I'd personally prefer to get an additional lens, and just be frugal with my memory -- don't press record until you're really ready to roll, and erase anything that you're positive you won't be using.

@CF,
I go back and forth betwixt the GH2 and T2i, on the day I pull the trigger Ill decide. I think Id be happy in either camp. I wont bother with going over the differences here.

Mem cards are nice in that you can GET BY with one, then buy another, and another, and another...

However, to be completely honest, I hope you don't mind me saying, I can't help but wonder what you're doing to fill up so much space.

I shot 4 days straight on my T2i and got 133gb of files. Day 1 was a long one ( I now see I got 34gb of files ) and the other 3 were 6 - 8 hr days. I get a lot of coverage and there was a bit of improv as Im not a script nazi, help me sell the story and hit my plot points and I will steer you along the way is my philosophy.

So I guess 2 - 32gb would be plenty, but always better to have a spare if technical issues arise. Cards NEVER fail or get lost or whatever.

If you are going to do any serious production, you can shoot 90 - 100gb in a full day, so stock up on 16gb cards, they go FAST !

Daymn!

I shoot reality TV where the camera is running all the time
and haven't shot 100GB in a day. On a feature (and I kind
of think of my productions as "serious") I average closer to
half that in a 12 hour shooting day.

You sure do shoot a LOT of footage.

Sounds like you should invest into an external hard drive. I recommend a 2TB.

Well in, sir. Well in.

I am going HD too and have chosen the GH2 as my weapon of choice (I entertained thoughts of the NEX-VG10 but some extra research revealed some serious drawbacks with the technology). Anyways, regardless of model the good stuff in this thread has helped us GH2'ers too. Good stuff. Keep 'em coming.

m42 mount pentax super and smc takumars are dope for cheap primes. I have the 35mm and 50mm 1.4. I also have the monitor x and like it alot for the fact that there's a full goggle thing for both eyes to view monitor.

Back