• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Equipment required for boompole setup?

Hi!

So, I have been doing some small sketches, movies and commercials with friends and media class, and I am getting really mad at the sound being so bad. I have the RØDE VideoMic, and I have to go really close up to catch good voice sound, when I want to go back, zoom in and get the DOF. And doing ADR would take forever so that's not an option!

So I have been thinking of getting a boompole setup, and in the bottom line, my question is: what kind of equipment do I need?
I guess all I need to buy is the boompole and an extension cable. I already have a camera (Canon 60D) and the mic (RØDE VideoMic) so that should be it, right?

Thanks, Nicolai

You will need female to male XLR.

Recommended -

Self powered - AT897, NTG-2

Phantom powered - Rode NTG-1, NTG-3, Audio Technica AT875, Sanken CS-1e, Sennheiser MKH-416, MKH-60, Neumann KMR81I, Schoeps CMIT5U

I have the AT875R and love it... I have to provide it 48v phantom power (so I run through an outboard mixer, then into my camera), but the zoom does that, so should be no big deal and give you an end to end solution once you complete the package... until then, you can get a cheapish adaptor to get the mic into your camera (although it'll still have the same problems that non-XLR stuff has with RF interference, keep the cables as short as you can possibly get them until you get the other end of the chain) and add a unit that will provide phantom power (NADY makes a nice little one for relatively cheap).

If you find a self powered one, then you're good to go and can run just with the adaptor until you get the zoom.

You will need female to male XLR.

Recommended -

Self powered - AT897, NTG-2

Phantom powered - Rode NTG-1, NTG-3, Audio Technica AT875, Sanken CS-1e, Sennheiser MKH-416, MKH-60, Neumann KMR81I, Schoeps CMIT5U
Ah ok thanks.

I may go for the AT897 after all, the total price included shipping wasn't too bad. If I demand to get cash only on christmas, I should be fine :lol:

List of items to buy
The boompole and the mic mentions something about 3/8'' threads thingy , I just have to be sure, they are compatible with each other as it is? No adapters needed?

And does the list itself look good?

Sorry for asking tons and tons of questions :)

Last edited:
You have two choices for a mic - self powered or powered by external phantom power. If you are using a recorder or a mixer that supplies phantom power you should use the phantom power from the recorder or mixer. Self powered mics tend to have lower output levels. The AT897 and NTG-2 are both known for this. The H4n and DR-100 both have low mic input levels; they are aimed at musicians who work at higher dB levels than is common for production sound. The combo will yield very low production sound dialog levels. Another "however", however, is the fact that the DR-100 and H4n eat batteries at a great rate when supplying phantom power, so a pair of battery packs - one charging while the other is in use - is highly recommended, or else you are going to spend A LOT of money on batteries.

The threading for boom-poles and shock-mounts is fairly standard here in the US. I don't think you will have any problems there, but you should check just to be sure.

My recommendation, as always, is to hire a professional (or at least hook up with a hungry up-and-comer) or rent. If you have to buy, buy smart and make a solid long-term investment in the future of your gear.

A good piece of advice also is too buy a sound recorder that can make more than one copy of the recording, so it can be recorded at different levels. That way you have at least two recordings of the same track, each recorded at different levels. That way it's easier than having to adjust the levels for if your actors are required to shout much louder.

Back