Ellipsis examples?

I had to look up what you meant.

Ah, well, what comes to mind immediately is Nick's Flight of the Flamingo. See it in the Premiere Lounge. I won't treat it as a spoiler because, well, Nick's posted the script in the Screenwriting Forum, and, of course, you've all read it and know what's coming, right?!!! Okay, okay, I'll pussyfoot around the details, lest someone get their feathers ruffled. The film ends with what might be considered an ellipsis? As in, "...the omission of a section of the story that is either obvious enough for the public to fill in or..."

Oooo, see what I did there? I guess I'm trixie like that.

I'll try to think of other examples.

Hey, wouldn't a lot of implied love scenes fall into that category? Especially in older films before outright censorship of Hollywood ended?

Even after reading that article, I still don't quite get it... Are they referring to the omission of basic, mundane going-on's as a technique? Can't be.... So are thwy talking about the inclusion of those mundane tasks?

Nope. I don't get it.

Remember oldschool depiction of travel? Map,redline from London to Istanbul with dissolve of a ship sailing through storms? Takes about 20ish seconds while cutting out looong days of travel.

Sex scenes in comedies are usually cut in the way of fall out of screen,fade to black,fade back to them smoking in bed or w/e. Jump cuts in Breathless are elliptical by nature.

Most montage sequences are elliptical as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyKBSy6rgdY

Last edited:
Back