• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing with MiniDV's

This question has been in my head for about 2 months, I asked my dad and he gave me an unsure answer. Anyways the question is how can you convert MiniDV tapes or Camera footage via Firewire or something else.
This matter is confusing, i would love to know this because i love doing edits with footage :)

how can you convert MiniDV tapes or Camera footage via Firewire or something

I'm not sure I understand your question. Convert to what?

Otherwise, you mean... how to get footage onto your computer?

If you have a mini-DV camera, there ought to be a plug on somewhere (maybe hidden under a flap) that will have a FireWire connector (with 4-pins). You then plug in a FireWire cable. Next, connect the other end of the cable to your computer (assuming computer has a FireWire jack). Load your editing software (basic stuff is free on any computer OS), and you're good to go. Import footage. :huh:

Things to remember:

1) 4-pin & 6-pin. Cameras almost always have 4-pin connectors on them. FireWire jacks on computers will be either 4 or 6 pins. So make sure you have the right cable. (My desktop has 6-pins; laptop has 4-pin, for example. I have two different cables, in case I want to switch computers)

2) FireWire is also known as IE1394 on many computers. (Same device... just a brand-name thing)

3) Is this what you were asking about? :cool:

2) FireWire is also known as IE1394 on many computers. (Same device... just a brand-name thing)

IEEE 1394, not IE.

IEEE 1394 is the interface standard. Technically there are several versions of it; Firewire 400 or IEEE 1394-1995, IEEE 1394a-2000 (the standard utilized by most cameras), Firewire 800 or IEEE 1394b-2002, Firewire S1600 & S3200, Firewire S800T or IEEE 1394c-2006.

Firewire is the Apple name for the interface, and since Apple developed it it has become the common name. Sony refers to IEEE 1394 as i.Link, and Texas Instruments refers to it as Lynx.

The 4 pin connection is the same as the 6 pin, only a much smaller size and it does not include power as the 6pin connection does. Typically desktop computers will have the 6pin connection, laptops can have either, but usually will have the 4 pin, and cameras almost always will have a 4 pin. The smaller 4 pin connector is part of the IEEE 1394a standard.

The protocol most cameras will use to actually transfer digital video over the IEEE 1394 connection is the DV protocol.

There is a whole lot of additional information on both of these topics, IEEE 1394/Firewire/i.Link/Lynx and the DV protocol...

As Zen said, your question isn't very clear.

What specifically are you confused about, and what would you like to know?

IEEE 1394, not IE.

You try saying IEEE, three times fast.
smiley_colbert.gif

Back