• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing two parallel scenes

Hey,

Im currently editing one of my short films where two scenes occur at the same time as each other but I am unsure to what scene I should put before the other in order for it to flow.

Scene A - Two soldiers walk into a room and something jumps out on them and shots are heard.

Scene B - A group of soldiers are talking when the gun shots from Scene A interrupt their conversation which leads to them running to the noise.

I keep flipping my mind about which scene should go first to make the most sense to the viewer and flow well. I know its hard to give advice without seeing the full context to what it is in. Is there any technique I am missing or am I over thinking this?

I would suggest finding couple of scenes from movies and see which one do you like better.

Generally I would cut right before the "thing" jumps at Soldiers A,so when you cut to B sound of gunshots will help connect the visual cut.

Try doing a few variants to see what you think plays best.

From what you described I would inner cut the scenes. Show some of Scene B, then Scene A, then back to B as the shots are heard.

Again when in doubt do several different edits and see how it plays.

Good luck with the edit.

Before the these two scenes there was a scene with the soldiers in "Scene A" with another soldier who isn't in the next two scenes, they were talking about going to the location to where the shots are fired.

After the scenes it cuts back to the soldier who wasn't in either of the scenes.

So far I open with Scene B and mix and match for a while and end with Scene A, doesn't look to bad at the moment.

Cheers for the replies

Yeah dude, just play with it. No need to over-think it. Just move stuff around and see what works.

Without having seen the footage, off the top of my head, the only thing that really jumps out at me is that I feel like you should cut from scene A to scene B at the gunshots. But what comes before that? Dunno, would have to actually be able to play with the footage to give any real comments.

My approach to this dillema in the past has been to edit the two sequences separately, then interleave them after the face and play with it at that point... as if you were editing two takes together rather than two sequences.

Back