• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing on a slower computer

I would normally google this type of thing, but I'm not sure what the process is called, and unsure of what to google.

So I know when people edit RAW and large files, they make lower quality copies of their footage, have it linked to their high quality files, and edit the low quality stuff (so it doesnt slow down their computer too much). What is the workflow for this with Premier Pro/anyone have a link to an easy to follow tutorial?

Again, I would google if I knew what it was called... Thanks!

Hello cheese!

You're talking about compressing the footage to prores or another codec for editing.

Give us a bit more info about what you're working with...

-Mac or PC?
-What kind of camera, and what kind of files does the camera create?
-What kind of editing software are you using?

Any other info you can provide will certainly help in answering the question.

Hope to help some more!
-Matt

Cheers for the reply Matt.

I'm editing on a PC. Relatively fast for a personal laptop, but on the lower end of serious use. I have a GH3, using the all-intra MOV FHD codec. I am editing on Premier Pro and After Effects (though I rarely AE).

Hmm, wish I knew more about Premiere and about the GH3...

What you want to Google is "GH3 to Premiere workflow" or something to that effect. You should be able to find what you are looking for fairly quickly as this is pretty standard practice.

This forum thread seems like it is dealing with your question perhaps: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3348149

I'll look around and see if I might be of more help. Good luck! :)

Back