DVD Film School

DVD Film School
By Peter John Ross

What a world we live in today, originating with the laserdisc, supplemental material with a movie has become a standard as DVD's made their way into virtually every home. Filmmakers have benefit greatly from this, especially for the astute observers. Not a lot of us can afford film school, but I can help you make a curriculum from your own DVD collection and from discs available from the public library for free. A lot can be learned form DVDs in the form of commentary tracks, documentaries, as well as the obvious just viewing the movie for it's own value.

You can create your own “curriculum” from many of your favorite movies on DVD. If there are commentary tracks and extras, they usually contain a lot of valued information on how something was done. Not everything have techie, scary guys on how they did the special FX.

Commentary tracks have some of the best lessons to learn from. For example, Rob Reiner & Cameron Crowe commentaries are almost exclusively on performance and nothing on camera, and others are too much about camera tricks they neglect to say anything about actors in the movie. And there's an all-new category of commentary tracks for people like Tim Burton who don't talk for 20 minutes at a time and teach us nothing.

My Best DVD commentary Track (for filmmakers)

ROAD TO PERDITION with director Sam Mendes. This isn't even one of my favorite movies, but it's by far my number 1 commentary track. Sam Mendes understands and has the perfect balance between actor's performance & directing the camera. A lot of commentaries are too skewed towards one & not the other.

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN with director and uncredited writer Nicholas Meyer. It features the essence of storytelling from a formerly young up & coming director looking back after years of experience.

TRUE ROMANCE with Quentin Tarantino writer's commentary track.
A great story of how the kid from a video store worked several angles to become the "Quentin" that we know as a pop culture icon. More sedate than usual, and at his most endearing, Tarantino’s storytelling is at it’s best with the commentary. Also an explanation of why he does his stories non-linearly is priceless.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS from Bryan Singer director, & writer Christopher McQuarrie discuss the beginnings of the story and again, the balance between story and acting plus the great cinematography of this movie.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (criterion collection edition) from director Jonathan Demme, Jodie Foster, and Anthony Hopkins. Not available on the "special edition" disc widely available, the commentary track has many insights into the actor's process and the director anecdotes, and trivia make for interesting examination of a landmark film.

SLACKER (criterion collection DVD) - the "crew" commentary with Rick Linklater, & Lee Daniel has many cost saving tips and other seeds that can grow in the minds of many young filmmakers.

CHASING AMY (criterion collection DVD/Laserdisc) - Although it's the usual comedy & antics of a large group of buddies, in between the jibes mocking Ben Affleck's movie Phantoms, there are some insights into the creative process of Kevin Smith. A few, and it's selective but the few nuggets of info are worth the banter.

LORD OF THE RINGS (all 3 movies from the 4 disc special edition DVD sets) - all 4 commentaries on all 3 movies can mine many great ideas and information on filmmaking in general. That's over 40 hours of viewing/listening right there.

FIREFLY: THE COMPLETE TV SERIES - disc four, the last episode commentary by Joss Whedon. By his own admission, creator, wrier director producer Joss Whedon does a somewhat less trivial commentary and tries to describe the origin of the concepts behind the ideas for an episode of phenomenal television. Getting philosophical and still maintaining his wit and humor, Joss' revelations and gratitude to everyone around him make this commentary special.

EL MARIACHI (all DVD version & originated on Laserdisc) when the opening words of the commentary tell you it's more like "how to make a movie for $7,000 or less", how bad can it be? It has a lot of great information delivered as you watch the inexpensive action movie.

The BMW Films series "THE HIRE" has all 8 films made for the web, plus their commentary tracks. Hearing insights from directors John Frankenheimer, War Kong Wai, Ang Lee, Tony Scott, Joe Carnahan, Guy Ritchie, and more make this a riveting and educational tool on telling stories in the short form. Not many will have $1million per 6 minute short, but the style and motives are priceless if you can learn to adapt the knowledge to match your budget.

THIS IS SPINAL TAP (criterion version DVD and Laserdisc long out of print) - the commentary track by the three lead actors Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, and Christopher Guest is very very different than the one on the commonly available "Special Edition DVD". On the Special Edition, they do a commentary as the characters. On the hard to find Criterion version, they do a commentary as actors, writers, and filmmakers. Lesson learned? It really boggled my mind to learn they never set foot out of Los Angeles County to make the movie. The power of suggestion of putting a title that says "Atlanta, Georgia" whilst showing a hotel can really effect perception in the viewers mind.

I know he's not the best filmmaker, but Ed Burns really goes into detail on how to make films on a certain budget. He'll talk about things like how to shoot without getting a permit, how to shoot certain scenes if you have a limited budget, etc.

James Paszko, Publisher, www.FilmSlateMagazine.com

The commentary track on BROTHERS McMULLEN is great, which he shot for $25,000 and it's important to note that he worked for ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT and had connections in New York, but he still really did a great 16mm feature.

For a special emphasis on the ART DEPARTMENTS (pre pro, pre-vis, set design, props,set dressing, etc.) with Guy Hendrix Dyas see the extras disc on SUPERMAN RETURNS. It's a nearly 4 hour documentary on the making of this movie, but Guy Dyas steals the show as the production designed on the film and what his role is.

gibbo said:
Forrest Gump Sapphire edition blu-ray (maybe on DVD version also, i'm unsure)
- Greenbow Diary
construction of various shots, interview clips with the cast and crew discussing the scenes being filmed.

- The Art of Screenplay Adaptation
Translating novel to screen, the difficulty of the special effects, the many drafts of the screenplay, and more.

Finally got around to watching the special features on the Forrest GUmp BD. The BD actually has more special features than the DVD. Th art of screenplay adaption was quite interesting, I had no idea how many re-writes are done! Also there is a 45 minute discussion/interview with director, actors and writers which is interesting.

Daybreakers Blu-ray (again, may be on the DVD version as well)
This has a 2 hour long making of documentary that is apprently a must see for budding filmmakers as it covers everything because it was the directors debute they covered absolutely everything!

Watched this too, the 2 hour long making of documentary is not on the DVD. It's OK but I didn't feel like it taught me anything other than hoow much work goes into making a movie. Still glad I watched it, Getting so see my city on the big screen is weird...

Children of the corn blu-ray (pretty sure BD only)
There is an interesting piece "HArvesting horror" on with director Fritz Kiersch that I found actually really good. He gives away some good tips and insight and what they did with linda hamilton and the dead kid on he road was quite amussing and a really good idea to get a natural reaction! The audio commentary seemed to be quite good also but I didnt have time to listen to the whole thing (only about 10 minutes of it)

Funny enough, the special edition BluRay of "Elf" has over 10
Hours of quality extras. One in particular, (I think it's called) "Film School For Kids" interviews EVERYONE on set and they spend a couple of minutes talking about their job description and what exactly a boom operator or art director or whatever does on set. Extremely informative. When I'm working with new people I actually try to get them to watch it so they know what's going on on the shooting day.

Edit:
I typed this on my phone and found some horrible typos, hopefully now all fixed :)

I don't know if it qualifies as "DVD Film School", cuz realistically, I don't see many of us ever employing these techniques, but the making-of documentary on the "Avatar Extended Collector's Edition" is pretty sweet. It's one thing to read about everything they did with motion-capture, but it's entirely something else to see it in action, and I thought it was really interesting.

There is a whole series of helpful cool documentary DVD's on filmmaking from STARZ INSIDE.

THE ART OF ACTION - on the history of martial arts in film hosted by Samuel L. Jackson

FANTASTIC FLESH - a documentary on make up FX with interviews from the top guys in the field

Back