• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DV editing

I have a JVC mini dv camcorder. I have filmed my latest vacation to experiment with editing. I'm going to use imovie to edit. the problem is i need to burn it using a windows system. Will this work. if so how will i transport the finished product.

Last edited:
I would think you can save it as a Quicktime then transfer that file to the windows system and compress it and burn it to a DVD. I'm a mac user so I'm never real sure what goes on with windows but Quicktime files seem to be pretty universal.

Would be better off saving in the DV format, so as not to loose any additional quality from compression..

I wonder though, if you have to burn it from a windows machine, why you wouldn't also be able to just edit on that machine, it would make your life a bit easier I'd imagine.

But, for what you say you want to do.. I would cut it together on the mac, then export it to tape (on the camera) .. import your now cut footage on the windows machine and burn the dvd.

makes it much easier to transport also on tape...good call Will, my dad and I exchange footage this way after any conversions, it always goes back to tape to sneaker net to other computers (at least it used to, now I just keep a spare 120 Gb Hard drive around for back up and transfer).

I'm on my 7th LaCie drive and they have worked really well. I wouldn't suggest the porche designed ones though they are kind of shoty. I've had to send one of those back to be refurbished or whatever it is they do there. The first FW drive I bought three years ago and I still use it for projects now without any problems. Make sure you dump everything off your drives every once in a while it will help you system run at it's best especially when dealing with the high data rates of video.

Back