DSLR's

Hi, I'm just wondering what everyone here thinks about DSLR filmmaking, as I just purchased the Canon T2i to shoot my short comedy sketches, and my independent feature when the time comes.

I've been using a T2i (550D) for the past 6 months now and it's honestly a great tool. This was my first camera ever and it's allowed to grow as an artist. Like many people have said before, it's just a tool. A good story and the basics in cinematography will trump (most of the time) an under performing camera. For example the following video was shot on an iPhone 4s.

https://vimeo.com/31013938

I think everyone pretty well covered it. Particularly in regards to the "jello" effect due to rolling shutter.

A fancy rig isn't necessary - just something to weigh it down. Shooting hand-held from a tripod (for added weight/stabilization) works. Alternately, an extra point of contact (shoulder mount, monopod against hip, LCD hood/viewfinder against face, etc.) other than your hands will help keep it stable.

Have a look at using custom color profiles (CineStyle is one of several). In addition, consider shooting "flat" (no sharpening, low contrast & saturation). It'll look dull and grey in-camera, but you'll wind up with more graduated tones in your footage which can be pushed a little further in color grading.

If possible, avoid using on-camera audio.

Have fun!

Yep, much good ground has been covered here. DSLRs are great, but they do have their limitations.

It's true that they really don't respond well to sudden jostling (like if you're shooting from the back of a truck and you hit a bump in the road). Technically, I don't think that's jello. As I understand it, jello is the way that vertical lines get bendy whenever you do a whip-pan. Regardless of what we call it though, the effects that result from the camera being jostled are not pretty.

I personally find moire and aliasing to be more annoying. I never notice it until post, and by then it's too late!

Overall, though, I think these are very minor obstacles that can be avoided with proper planning. For the time being, I still think they're the best poor-man's camera.

Oh no my camera doesn't have the jello effect!
How can I get that lovely jello effect with my camera?
Also, my camera doesn't suffer from rolling shutter issues!
I want to have rolling shutter like everyone else!
I can't get rolling shutter even when panning hard!

Why?? Oh my God, why???!!!

I'm currently looking at the T3i and from my opinion only having used low end Canons a few Sony's in the Z series, I think it's a great move.
As mentioned sound and stabilization are the main issues, but thinking about using external sound has potential to have better sound control than you would normally. I would say never shoot straight with your hands, always have a tripod, shoulder rig or steadicam/glidecam of some form.
One issue however that I don't think anyone's mentioned is a problem that will rarely arise, except if you plan on filming live events or want to have a shot at video timelapses. The t2i and the rest in the series film for a maximum of 12min at one time. So that's just something to keep in mind if you plan on filming any form of live event. Of course the card fits more than this so assume at the 12min mark you can immediately press record again but this could cause syncing issues if you have multiple cameras, not to mention losing a second of the event

I love my dslr.. it gives a nice depth of field look that video cameras at simular price range do not.. i dont like that video look.. and u can change the lens and get different looks :) great way to learn before u jump and play with the big boys.. red... arri.. panavision (why not)

Back