• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DSLR steadicam or shoulder mount?

Hi Guys,

I am filming a festival in early July, i hopefully shall be using my trusty 600d, however in recent shoots ive found keeping it still while shooting on the run is somewhat difficult.

I am thinking i have two options... a DSLR steadicam rig or a DSLR shoulder mount.

Im just not sure what is most beneficial?

Any help on pros and cons for each would be great.

As i say i shall be roaming the festival site looking for things to film, so need to capture moments and thats hard when continually setting up a tripod :D

The shots have different looks to them depending on which one you use and also how u use each one.

Google, youtube, vimeo some footage filmed with each one and decide which look you want for your project.

After that there are some older threads here about budget shoulder mounts and steadicams. Check those out to find one that fits your price and gives you reasonable quality.

If you are moving while filming, a stabilizer rig is much better than a shoulder rig. I find that the choice for me is more about whether to use a stabilizer or a tripod, since the shoulder rig is just an inferior way (to a stabilizer) to have mobility.

For about a grand, you can get an inexpensive rig with vest (like a flycam).

One thing to keep in mind - when you use a stabilizer, get an on-board monitor. Keeping focus as you run and gun is nearly impossible from that far away and you can't use a loupe.

Back