• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DSLR for this type of music video?

Hi, im about to do a shoot for a music video

im looking for this type of style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MR3wfzLOio

with the slow zooms out, and the great depth of field around the performance shots, so am i right thinking dslr would be better than a video camera? for instance the last camera i used was the panasonic hxv100.

Those might not be zooms at all, but dolly shots. Considering the lack of wide shots and narrow depth of field in a lot of the shots, I would guess it was shot on a DSLR with a crop factor in a smallish room.

Yep, what they said ^

I can't say that this was shot on DSLR, but it looks like either DSLR or video with a lens adapter.

I also agree that those are not zooms, but dolly's. Zooming is lame.

And finally, just to get you up on proper vocab, "nice depth of field" doesn't really make sense. All cameras, all lenses, every single shot ever recorded, has depth of field. It is a question of how shallow or deep. What you are referring to is shallow depth of field.

Let me apologize to the OP for being confusing. The proper description of depth of field is shallow or deep as CF stated. My brain sees it as narrow/wide and I'll briefly describe why from my video news guy background without a formal education in cinematography:

In wide shots, everything is almost always in focus by the very nature of a wide shot.

In narrow shots (close-ups for example), the margin for critical focus is very narrow.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

The important thing is I do a better job at doing it than explaining it. :cool:

Let me apologize to the OP for being confusing. The proper description of depth of field is shallow or deep as CF stated. My brain sees it as narrow/wide and I'll briefly describe why from my video news guy background without a formal education in cinematography:

In wide shots, everything is almost always in focus by the very nature of a wide shot.

In narrow shots (close-ups for example), the margin for critical focus is very narrow.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

The important thing is I do a better job at doing it than explaining it. :cool:

I don't think semantics is so super important. When you say narrow, we get what you're saying. I was more addressing the OP, cuz he had no descriptor attached to "depth of field".

It looks alot like footage from the AG-AF100 model...

Although, alike everybody else, quietly confident it's DSLR. DOF aside, the tone of the video is crying DSLR, and small production. It's a minimalist approach, more so limitations on budget rather than a preetmped decision. Small band, big potential. They'll have been kept tight with their budget. It's always the way.

These videos are often effective. Although it may not appear intricate from a shooting perspective, it's in the post work, and edit, that will be your biggest challenge.

Best of luck with this, bud.

P.S I heard this band on Radio 1 yesterday, i couldn't for the life of me think of who they where. Great track.

yeah sorry, the vocab thing is just me being lazy, i understand dept of field (studied photography for 2 years, and just finishing my 3-year degree in film production technology)

im 99% certain on using a DSLR then, would try and hire d5 or d7 but they seem abit out of my budget, i guess you get what you pay for though

as for their budget (the naked and famous) theyve had all their videos shot by special problems, who have done videos for the lieks of crowded house, and adverts for hp. if you check out the other music videos from the naked and famous you'll see a bigger production, but with their own style still present

Back