DP Neal L. Fredericks dies in plane crash

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
I'm saddened to say that DP Neal L. Fredericks (indietalk member camopdp) died tragically in a plane crash while shooting aerial shots for an upcoming movie. The world has lost a great talent and our prayers go out to Neal's family.

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER
Hollywood Reporter said:
DP Fredericks killed in plane crash

Cinematographer Neal L. Fredericks, best known for his work on "The Blair Witch Project," was killed Saturday while lensing the independent film "Cross Bones" in the Florida Keys. He was 35. Fredericks was filming aerial shots for the movie from a single-engine Cessna 206 when the plane's engine sputtered twice at an altitude of about 500 feet before going down in about 50 feet of water, according to "Cross Bones" writer-director Daniel Zirilli. Zirilli, the pilot, a co-producer and a first camera assistant escaped the wreckage through an open door, but Fredericks, who was strapped into a safety harness beneath camera equipment, was unable to free himself from his seat before the plane was submerged. (Sheigh Crabtree)

Here's his IMDB listing. :(

Neal Fredericks

Such an abundance of recent works... and then suddenly gone, mid-stride.

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity!" - Gilda Radner

Wow. This is very saddening indeed. I had the pleasure to get to know Neal a little around a year ago when I did a review for one of his works (Killer Me). He was truly a nice guy and the filmmaking world has lost one of it's gentlemen. He answered so many questions I had and never once did he seem to feel that my questions were too elementary to bother with. We should feel proud to have counted him as a member here.

Poke

Neal had been very free & giving of information to total strangers. I knew him from INDIECLUB.COM and Neal gave me free advice on several occassions. He will be missed.

Got this in the mail today ...

I wanted to let everyone know that there will be an online memorial for Neal, for those of you who are unable to attend the funeral. It will take place the same time as the funeral, which is tomorrow (Friday) 12:00 PM Pacific Time.

Just go to this address:

http://www.bluedaniel.com/serviceforneal/

Dan Karcher has been kind enough to put this together. He thought this would be a nice way for people who were unable to attend the funeral to gather and remember Neal. I think it's a terrific idea.

Also, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your love and support. I have received so many calls and emails in the last days from many of you, and it means more to me that words can say. I will also be sure to pass on your thoughts and prayers to Ann Lu, his family, and all his friends. I know it will mean a lot to them, too.

If you would like to attend the funeral, but do not yet have the information, you can find it on the haxan board setup for Neal. Just go to:

http://www.haxan.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=neal

On the board you can also find the information on how to donate to the memorial fund for the ads in the trades, as well as other information.

I wish I could be a part of it, but chances are I won't be able to get away from work even for an hour. I hope possibly if you have time tomorrow you might drop by the site.

Poke

Quite shocked. Very saddening. Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family / friends. Always a shock when people within the industry go out whilst furthering the industry.

Back