does having a budget in film mean no money or its funded?

You can have a budget but no money. Typically you need a budget (and other things) to go fund it.

Or, the way I like it, you can have money and not a budget :) In this case your "money" drives your budget.

Funded and Budget are separate things.

Budget refers to how much money you'll need to make a film. Funded is whether you have the money in place.

So if someone says they have a budget of $500 to make their film, they might actually have no money? That seems very misleading. I would assume it's an 'estimated budget' when you're seeking funds but I can understand otherwise

So if someone says they have a budget of $500 to make their film, they might actually have no money? That seems very misleading.

"I have put together a budget of $500 to make my film" would be more
accurate than "I have a budget of $500 to make my film." I suspect
someone who says that is not trying to mislead anyone. It is most likely
incorrect word usage.

It's possible that if they say they have a budget of $500, that they actually have that amount in the bank. It's there a bigger context to your question?

A budget typically refers to 2 things:

1) a spreadsheet with the itemized costs to make a movie = "I have the budget ready, let's go get it funded", in this case the may or not have any money -- but the word budget is used in a different context.

and/or

2) An allocated amount of money to spend on something = "I have a budget of $1000 to rent a camera", means they have $1000 only allocated to spend on a camera rental.

So if someone says they have a budget of $500 to make their film, they might actually have no money?

Well said...

I suppose you could be correct. There are people out there that would say anything. It also sounds like a poor choice of word. I'd expect "Limit" instead of "Budget" would be a better word to use in this case.

English can be context based.

So I'd like to alter my earlier answer. It usually doesn't, though use common sense and the context of the surrounding words to determine the meaning. Ask questions if unsure.

budĀ·get - noun
  1. an amount of money available for spending that is based on a plan for how it will be spent
  2. a plan used to decide the amount of money that can be spent and how it will be spent
  3. an official statement from a government about how much it plans to spend during a particular period of time and how it will pay for the expenses

budget - verb
  1. to plan to spend (an amount of money) for a particular purpose
  2. to make and follow a plan for spending your money
  3. to plan how to use (something, such as your time)

budget - adjective
  1. low in price : suitable for someone who is on a budget

Back