does anyone know how to...

convinsingly create snow? I mean I know that it's winter now and will be for a while, but I don't know that i'll have funding for my camera and stuff soon enough to make use of real snow....plus it doesn't snow too much around here anyway.

There are several methods to create snow..

In part it will depend on the type of snowflakes you're after, and the kind of shot you're doing.

Crushed up cornflakes painted white and sprinkled from above can work.. I might use something like this with a large fan for a blizzard look, since they will fall through the air faster than a normal snowflake usually would as they've got more mass.

White PVC shavings would work, though they might be a bit static filled, and that could potentially create some problems..

You could do it digitally with After Effects or a similar compositing program.

Probably the easiest way is with a snow machine (as with most things like this, they can be had for much less or much more money..). They look a lot like a fog machine, and work basically the same way as a bubble machine. As I recall it's small clumps of foamed soap. They float on air currents the same as real snow, fall in a similar fashion, and "melt" similarly on someones clothing or hair. This is the method used in Serendipity, they talk about it in the commentary. Incidentally, when I saw Trans-Siberian orchestra in the Xcel center a couple years ago, they had two of these on the end of a couple piece of light trussing that were extended out toward the crowd from either side of the stage (about half-way up the full ceiling height).. When they kicked 'em on during one of their songs It absolutely looked like it was snowing inside. Very cool effect.

Of course there's always the old stand by...

Instant mashed potato flakes... Purchased in bulk at Sam's Club or Costco will get you quite a bit fake snow in a hurry...

But like throwing rice at a wedding, it's used less and less because birds love to eat the stuff and they can eat too much and get all bloated inside and die.

Cool if you have too many birds in the area or lazy cats... LOL.

But if you're environmentally friendly, just hose the flakes down a bit after using them so they dissolve.

If I remember correctly, they used to have a lightweight box with a filtering screen in the center -- fill that up with potato flakes -- then one or two people would gently shake it above the characters so that it drifts down in frame.

With a little wind -- even better.

Good luck!

filmy

I have to laugh when I think of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy and Angel are walking down the center of town after a fresh snowfall. The snow on the ground was not snow at all, it was just white cotton; I thought that was so odd how they got away with such a cheap ground snow effect. I certainly wouldn't do that, bizarre to say the least, but I guess it shows what can pass if a story is good and the stars are in the story.

I also saw the special features featurette on the making of The Thing (remake with Kurt Russell), well worth watching (the featurette), and they showed how they used a matte painting of the ice and snow to create the illusion of them being at the arctic on ice and show, when it was all a painting composited in with the actors actually just clustered on a white bed sheet.

ok, so we've got the snowing effect with it falling and drifting and everything...what do you think would be the most believable for snow on the ground already....is in a well covered ground?

Back