Documentary film school outside North America! Help!

Hey everyone,

In the last month or so I've started to consider the idea of applying to film school. I've shot a few things with my DVX100b and have been editing (albiet very simply) with my Final Cut Studio 2 on my iMac while I go around and help some pros with their shoots on set to learn more stuff. In a month I'll have a 15-30 minute documentary finished and ready to show.

I'm starting to think that going to film school might be a better way to get the technical knowledge I'm feeling I lack. I learn a lot watching other people......but it feels like it's taking much longer to pick up the working knowledge of everything than it would at film school.

So.....here's what I'm thinking:

I'd like to go to school somewhere outside the U.S. As my languages are pretty limited (conversational chinese, basic french/thai/spanish) I'm thinking that I need an English language program. I think that the opportunity to study abroad while learning the tech aspects for my art would be a great 2 for 1 deal. SO......Europe (Prague, Paris, etc)? South America? Australia/NZ?

Since I have a lot of my own equipment, I'm not so concerned with equipment that the school has (if that helps).

I want to go somewhere I can learn to fully learn and explore FCS2.....calling my editor friends and mooching off them is not something I want to continue to do much longer.

Money isn't a problem. I can beg, borrow and earn cash to go anywhere (worked for my undergrad....and I'm debt free).

I'm not really interested in the "Hollywood Blockbuster" side of the business.....and would really love to find a program that has an emphasis in Documentary Film and all the aspects that come with that (grant research/writing, theory, preproduction, etc). I'm really interested in "real" life in film and art house film....so a school that has a philosophy where I might be able to flourish would be fantastic.

I have a B.A. degree and would be looking for a program that's 1-2 years long. Should I be looking for a Master's program? I don't really care about degrees, I just want to know that at the end of the program I'll know a fair amount about film production/postproduction tech.

So....anybody have any ideas? Anything else I should be thinking about and asking?

Thanks for all the info/advice!

Back