• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Doctor Bernard Presents - webseries

Well I sure am late to the party! Can't wait to see this come to fuition.

You should hit up the Richmond kids for casting. There's a whole gang of 'em up there.

Oh, and I know a guy named Bernard. American dude. Bat-shit-crazy.

Thank you very much, PTP, sir.

@Cracker, I had nothing short of a great experience working with Nicole, so I am most definitely going to be doing my casting through her(and hopefully she herself will be available, that girl is hilarious). Thanks again for the hook-up! :D

I like the feel of it from the info and posted in this thread. Definitely like where its going. When do u think the first ep will be available?

Do keep me posted as u said in the other thread. And i suppose you wont know the next shoot dates till after the 10th/11th right? Well, send them my way when you know.

Goodluck for now! Im sure this will turn out great!

Sounds like a fascinating series, Dready! Good luck with the casting. :) Nicole was, indeed, great in your Pepsi Max spot!

I like the feel of it from the info and posted in this thread. Definitely like where its going. When do u think the first ep will be available?

:cool:Thanks. The plan is to have the first ep available sometime in September. I want to be able to release the first 2-3 within that first month or month and a half.

Do keep me posted as u said in the other thread. And i suppose you wont know the next shoot dates till after the 10th/11th right? Well, send them my way when you know.
Will do. I'm just trying to nail down a location that could pass for a doctor's office, so hopefully I'll know the next dates this week. Most of the sketches don't require any special locations, though, so I should be able to figure out a few more dates as soon as I see my cast's availability.

Goodluck for now! Im sure this will turn out great!

Thanks again brotha!

Sounds like a fascinating series, Dready! Good luck with the casting. :) Nicole was, indeed, great in your Pepsi Max spot!

And thankyou, mah sista!

Production Diary 6/29/2011

Less than two weeks until photography and I think I've got my (skeleton) crew assembled. DP has proved the hardest role to fill. I've gotten a commitment from 2 separate DPs willing to work for free who then got paying gigs. Can't blame 'em, but it still sucks. Luckily my AD is a many-hats kind of gal so she'll be DP/Camera Op-ing for me.

The rest of the crew consists of myself, a boom op with some experience but no equipment, and a PA with more producer-y experience like location scouting, script supervising and marketing/festival stuff. I'm hoping we all work well together because these are all folks who I'd like to have around in the future. :)

I'm still waiting on getting some names from Nicole, which at this point is worrying me. I'm about to send off an email just to see what's up (she texted me on Sunday to say she's got some folks, and that she'd email me Monday night, so hopefully she's just been a little too busy to get me the info). Luckily I trust her judgment and for these sketches I won't be holding auditions.

I didn't advertise for a makeup artist, but I got a response from one who says she's interested. I don't have the budget to pay, and I don't want to over-complicate the shoot. Should I go for it (if she's willing to work for free, that is) or just save her name for future projects? Opinions?

So that's where I'm at right now. Things left to do include: making my apartment as immaculate as possible (time to tackle that awful stove, DUN DUN DUN!), and figuring out how to feed 7-8 people for about 50 bucks for 2 (short) shooting days. I'm thinking cold cuts, bread, condiments, potato salad, hot dogs, and some snacks like potato chips and pretzels, that sort of thing. Call time is a pretty laid-back 10:30am for both days, should I still pick up some donuts for breakfast or will just snacks and then lunch be alright?

Oh, and on an interesting side note, I've inadvertently assembled a mostly female crew :P Which I think is pretty cool. The boom op is the only guy, besides an actor. What do you call the opposite of a sausage fest? lol

If you can get a MUA for free then you should absolutely go for it, they're a really undervalued by vital part of the team.

The film I just worked on in Canada fed the entire cast and crew on a budget of $2 per day and we all had as much hot food and drink as we could eat (it helped that the shoot was sponsored by Snapple, Dr Pepper and Orange Crush so that I could drink about 10 cans a day!). Basically if you shop cheap, avoid meat, go to CostCo (sp?) and budget carefully then you can feed peeps.

And it's a taco fest, by the way.

I always like diversity in a crew and find it refreshing to work with a mixed group of people. Sounds like you have a great team coming together!

Team Taco Fest! ;)

Thanks for the advice, guys :) I sent her an email with the situation. We'll see if she takes the gig.

...taco fest... :lol:

Last edited:
Quick question:

What's everyone's opinion on the frame-rate I should shoot this at. You don't typically see sketch comedy on the big screen, but rather on TV, so I'm leaning more towards 29.97. But what do you think? Would 24p still be better or would it make it all feel 'weird' for sketch comedy?

edit:

Just to update, and on a side note, I'm still without an actor for the sketch I'm shooting on Monday. Nicole is still trying to find me someone and as a last resort I may have her play the male role (hey why not, men play women all the time in sketch comedy, why not the other way around?). But I did post a CL ad today and have gotten a few responses from some people with nice resumes. I don't have time to audition anymore, and I was totally comfortable with casting someone without an audition based on recommendations. But what are your thoughts on casting someone without audition or references but simply based on picture/resume?

Last edited:
I don't have time to audition anymore, and I was totally comfortable with casting someone without an audition based on recommendations. But what are your thoughts on casting someone without audition or references but simply based on picture/resume?

You could "Skypedition" or "Videodition" (Send them a section of the script to recite, and ask them to record it)

On a personal note about hiring without auditions/references (I'm assuming without reels, too). It's a risk. Aslong as you accept that it can go either way, then it's a simple decision.

It's certainly not ideal, and it's incredibly difficult to judge from their resume. You could draw the conclusion that they've gotten work, but then on the flipside, why isn't that work included in their reels?

Explore every option in the time you have left, and give yourself every chance before you have to take the risk.

I don't have any easy answers for the recent set of questions:

...but I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Go get 'em, Dready! :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I just emailed one of the actors who has played the Second City mainstage, which is not an easy task. I've asked him to do a skype-dition or videodition. We'll see what pans out. No one else really stood out to me from the responses I got.

On a complete side note, it's interesting to notice that pretty much every actor in Chicago has already had an extra or featured extra role on The Chicago Code and/or Ron Howard's The Dilemma. Small town, huh?

I love ALDI!!! I just got a bunch of snacks, plasticware and some cold sides I'll prepare today and left there having spent 25 bucks! Then another 25 at the local grocery store for the kinds of things you don't want to buy generic: cold cuts and pop.

I think I've got enough real food plus munchies to last both days. I'm also gonna pick up a dozen donuts tomorrow (I think that's only a few bucks) and should still have a little bit of savings left in case we run out of anything. W00t w00t!

Casting update: heard back from the actor, he's gonna be sending me a recording of him doing a comedic monologue this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Gaah. Exciting!

We don't shoot for another week and a half. Majorly jealous.

Get a guy to take some snap shots of the shoot. Onset photographers capture the moments you forget. "I really look like that when I direct...?"

Back