Do you own a view finder?

Was on a shoot and our DP owned a small view finder which he could wear around his neck. Was pretty cool, and wanted to purchase one. You guys recommend any sites where I can get a descent one that isnt too expensive?

I use an index card with a 3x4 rectangle cut out of it with an exacto knife. I have a 16x9 one as well. I've got my thirds marked off on the sides. If I hold it at arms length, it's a telephoto shot and if I hold it right up to my face, it's a wide angle frame... cost: US$0.03!

Knightly, can you tell us how you make the 16 x 9 one ...I mean the dimensions of the card and the dimensions of the hole... in inches or centimeters or whatever? Thanks.

An index card is 3x5" (according to the package I have in front of me. I'd like to leave at least a half inch border so my 16 becomes 4" and the 9 then becomes ( 4 / 16 ) x 9 = 2.25" ( 2.25 / 2 = 1.125" from center top to bottom). You can use the same math on any sized card. The 16 x 9 is a ratio, so it's 8th grade-ish math (if you remember that stuff - I do, I'm a geek).

x / 16 = y / 9 (/ is divided by)
Since we have X in this case 4"
4/16 = .25
Multiply both sides of the equation by 9 to get rid of it from the Y side and you have your total height.
.25 x 9 = y
2.25 = y

Find the center of your card, and you want half of that distance each way.

2.25 / 2 = 1.125 ( 1-1/8")

The math is the same in metric for all you foreigners and sciency folks ;)

Then you can mark your thirds lines if you like to help visualize framing, just divide the height by 3 and the width by 3 and make marks along all 4 sides of the hole you've cut out (I used an xacto knife and cutting mat to cut the hole out).

Have fun!

Back