Do You Need Permission to Film Inside of a Home You're Renting?

I'm new to this. Can someone tell me if you need the owner's permission if you're filming inside of a home and you're renting the home? Do you need any sort of special permit as well?

Thank you!

Yes. But how will they know?

We ve never asked for permission, we got caught once and pretended we didn't know ....but we live in Hollywood where the landlords are v savy about these things.

Best bet... Don't mention anything unless u get caught. Otherwise they will make u buy insurance and you'll blow your whole budget

Technically, you should get a location release from the landlord and/or whoever else controls the property.

But I guess it depends if you think your landlord is the type of person who would sue you. And also your intended distribution method for your film.

This does have some complexities to it, doesn't it?

My non-lawyer viewpoint tells me there are two issues: copyright, and privacy.

Copyright applies if the house itself is a work of art. It doesn't apply to functional things like walls and roof, but embellishments could affect it. If the particular location is both artistic and adds to the work, it could be considered a derivative. At least, that's what they'll try to say.

Invasion of privacy can occur if it's someone else's living space, and they feel it makes them look *insert arbitrary legal claim here*, such as "made me look dumb" or even "made it look like I live in a dirty house." This type of libel suit is a bit tough to prove, but definitely happens.

A release will solve all these issues. The biggest value for a release is peace of mind. It's unlikely anyone will cause you trouble, but some people live for doing that.

Unless it's a particularly unique location that your film relies on heavily I don't think it's something to worry about. I live and shoot in Los Angeles, and you can shoot most anywhere if you're clever and cautious. :)

Inside? No. Outside? Maybe, if it's a house, no permission, apt building, likely.

You paid for usage of the space. Landlords will be at a disadvantage in court -- having taken money from a tenant for usage of the space. They might argue the space wasn't for business use, but your lawyer can easily debunk that.

However, for instance, in an apartment building, additional traffic, noise, disruptions, the scale may tip towards the landlord's favor.

Remember though, all legal advice on the internet isn't worth a dime off the internet.

Good luck.

I shot guerrilla a scene from my upcoming feature.

It was a bank robbery and we shot it in the bank .

You just need to have committed actors.

:lol: How did this go?

Surely it wasn't ..

"Everybody be cool, this is a robbery! If no one loses their head, then no one will lose their head"

/Yes I just combined two robbery lines from Pulp Fiction and Thelma and Louise

Thank you all for the answers. i didn't realize I had received replies. I haven't rented the place yet, but wondered what the protocol was if you were renting. This really helps a lot!

Back