Do you decide the market / distribution channel before completion?

I think the title says everything:
Do you decide the market and distribution channels before or after the completion of your film?

(I am new here, feel free to advice me for any improper use)

The OP asked if he should consider the Market / distribution channel before completion of film

APE responded, in so many words, that if the filmmaker is considering distribution channels other than "self" or youtube/vimeo pro, s/he should consider the technical thresholds / limitations of the distributor. That's a perfectly reasonable answer. The Weinstein Co will not want to be associated with my technically flawed product even if they like my story. Their QC will disqualify my movie from consideration if they cannot fix the problems in my film. That's perfectly sensible, and APE was pointing out this consideration, as most "independent" filmmakers overlook these things.

It's fantastic, Gorilla, that you've been involved with product launches that apparently were launched without market and legal considerations, and in one instance you mention US$ 50mm was authorized in R&D spending without any market analysis. That is just difficult to believe. If it's true, it's negligence. You're asserting that some CEO would authorize 50mm in spending without at minimum, looking at a basic comparables analysis? What does it take? Just get a subscription to Thomson Research and have an underling do a summary of the already existing market research? Companies do it all the time. But according to you, and your 20+ years of experience, this is too much. Everybody is just driving blind and lucking out.

Unlike APE, I don't have any film industry experience. But I can follow APE's logic. I'm not sure what you are suggesting Gorilla, that a filmmaker should do. S/he should just make a movie and then throw it out there? What is the plan? What are the considerations, technical or market or otherwise? Or are we just supposed to go with your 20+ years of experience and leave it to the wind, because that's what all the successful billionaire CEOs do? I'm not trying to be facetious. But your commentary does not provide direction.

You should have a framework but it doesn't have to be set in stone.

I knew for example before production began that I'd be independently distributing to local and secondary theaters and the prices I'd have to pay.

However depending on how well productions was going and the preliminary feedback, I did end up tweaking some things. In the end, if you don't have much of a reputation you'll be doing it yourself.

OK, I've decided you're all correct and I must be wrong.

In terms of answering the OP's original question... I have no idea. I don't have experience but am trying to make marketing as organic a part of the final product as possible (my first 'commercial' attempt is coming out next year. This might not work but am seeing if this could work.

Last edited:
OK, I've decided you're all correct and I must be wrong.

In terms of answering the OP's original question... I have no idea. I don't have experience but am trying to make marketing as organic a part of the final product as possible (my first 'commercial' attempt is coming out next year. This might not work but am seeing if this could work.

Nobody is saying you're wrong. You're saying other people are wrong, to think about technical considerations.

I'm curious what your organic marketing strategy is. Can you elaborate? Just use us as your sounding board. We've all got things coming out. We would all like to know the flaws in our plans. I myself am trying my own marketing. I don't know if I can call it organic, but I'm targeting the market for which I'm making my film.

I also think facebook is bullshit (I know I'm in the minority) and a waste of time as a marketing tool. Twitter is fine if you actually have followers and I don't. So for me it's useless at the moment.

These are my thoughts.

Just relax. People are going to do whatever they're going to do, no use worrying about who's right and who's wrong. We're all going to use different combinations of strategies, partly wrong, partly right.
Cheers,
Aveek

Nobody is saying you're wrong. You're saying other people are wrong, to think about technical considerations.

I'm curious what your organic marketing strategy is. Can you elaborate? Just use us as your sounding board. We've all got things coming out. We would all like to know the flaws in our plans. I myself am trying my own marketing. I don't know if I can call it organic, but I'm targeting the market for which I'm making my film.

I also think facebook is bullshit (I know I'm in the minority) and a waste of time as a marketing tool. Twitter is fine if you actually have followers and I don't. So for me it's useless at the moment.

These are my thoughts.

Just relax. People are going to do whatever they're going to do, no use worrying about who's right and who's wrong. We're all going to use different combinations of strategies, partly wrong, partly right.
Cheers,
Aveek

Already did your suggest - there's a whole thread with my marketing plan on it under 'distribution.' There was a setback and am now plugging away again but that's only to be expected.

Also, in terms of technical considerations, what I am saying is that in my 20+ years experience of my field which is not film making, for the majority of products, technical considerations and market analysis are not conducted the way that has been laid out here and gave specific examples. Nobody actually asked me how it works for the companies I have worked for (including my own consultancy), they just said I am wrong and they are right. I put forward what I know and they can take it or leave it.

Incidentally, I worked out what I want to do with the channel but what I want to do and what is reality could be entirely different. Don't know if it will work and no idea if the product will be good enough, for example. Will have to see next year...

Last edited:
Back