Do It For Johnny

NEW UPDATE

“INDEPENDENT FILMMAKERS TURN TO EBAY FOR FUNDING”
After Denver Indie Director Haylar Garcia and Producer Darcy Grabowski systematically exhausted the small nestegg of funds that were set aside for their documentary, entitled “Do it for Johnny”, they found themselves in a pickle. The documentary had gained such popularity in the past few months that it had far surpassed their wildest expectations, and blossomed into an amazing event which has had them commuting twice to Hollywood, with more interviews booked for Texas, and Hollywood yet again. Following their first trip to Hollywood, the exponentially flourishing project had racked up over 5,000 hits on the website since October of ‘04. So, shelving a project like this due to lack of funding was unthinkable. But still, without money there was no means with which to pursue it. Then, late one night, in the hazy throes of a tedious editing session, Director Haylar Garcia had a lighting bolt strike him. In this vast world of hardline entertainment and dog eat dog, demographic driven productions, where could “the little guy” find the money to support one simple artistic vision???
Of course, Haylar thought. Where else but… Ebay!!!
So beginning on January 20th 2005, and for the following ten days, anyone on the planet can log onto the largest digital auction-house in the world and bid on a trilogy of auctions, which are designed to sell three separate “Executive Producer Credits” to anyone with the means and the will to believe in this hopeful documentary. A first in eBay history, will these Indie filmmakers meet their budget needs? *Are there at least 3 philanthropists on this planet who will believe in this project enough to step up, log on, and bid?
Over the course of the next ten days, the world is about to find out.
The auctions can be viewed at:
1st. Ebay item # 6360526857
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6360526857&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT
2nd. Ebay item # 6360528177
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6360528177&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT
3rd. Ebay item # 6360524019
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6360524019&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT
WHAT DO YOU THINK GOOD IDEA !!!!!

They're not even offering a return on the investment... they're just selling a title.

Sounds like an updated version of the selling titles idea in "How to make a feature film for under $10000, and not go to jail"

If it works, <ahem> "woo..hoo"

A first in eBay history

I don't think this is a precedent...I believe there were three auctions selling 10 shares each for one film project a couple of months ago on Ebay. Unfortunately I didn't see the result of the bidding nor could I find it on a search...Anyone know about that auction?

confirm bid

"So what kind of experience do you have?"

"I was an executive producer for a documentary about stalking Johnny Depp."

"Really? Sounds....interesting. So as executive producer what did you do? Sounds like a huge responsibility. Must have been demanding. Executive producer sounds important - like not just any Joe off the street could do it. What kind of stuff did you do?"

"I clicked on 'place bid'."

Last edited:
bird said:
I don't think this is a precedent...I believe there were three auctions selling 10 shares each for one film project a couple of months ago on Ebay. Unfortunately I didn't see the result of the bidding nor could I find it on a search...Anyone know about that auction?
I remember this. But is was almost a year ago - March 2004. There may have been more since.

I followed it all they way. Two bids for $1,000 each. I suspect it was friends or family of the filmmakers bidding and not just your average "investor".

directorik said:
I remember this. But is was almost a year ago - March 2004. There may have been more since.

I followed it all they way. Two bids for $1,000 each. I suspect it was friends or family of the filmmakers bidding and not just your average "investor".

I think the only one I've heard about was actually an auction to buy the film for distribution. The auction went up to $15,000 but then the deal fell through if I remember right.
Here is THAT story:
http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_040325ebay.html

There was the guy on Ebay who was offering advertising space on his forehead, for a month.

He was going to have some kind of long-lasting, durable (temporary) tattoo put on his noggin.

He ended up with just over $30 000 from an e-company (forgot the name).

Sometimes the gimmicky things really do pay off. :cool:

I wish I would have thought of the 'ghost in a cane' bit. What, was that like a 60,000 dollar bid? I'm just too stupid.

bird said:
I wish I would have thought of the 'ghost in a cane' bit. What, was that like a 60,000 dollar bid? I'm just too stupid.

That was kind of creepy. I'm surprised it hasn't been made into a movie yet.

bird said:

I'm serious. Some dude orders a ghost in a can over the Internet as a joke, then it turns out to be real and starts killing people. He has to track the dude down who sold it to him... it's kind of like the Ring.

Maybe I'll write that next.

T, that does sound cool. Your previous post made me smile ...it was like opening up a new auction for 'Ghost Cane' or something...hummmm...hey...mayyyyybeeee.

Actually, can't wait to read what you'd do with it:)

skywilson said:
NEW UPDATE

“INDEPENDENT FILMMAKERS TURN TO EBAY FOR FUNDING”
After Denver Indie Director Haylar Garcia and Producer Darcy Grabowski systematically exhausted the small nestegg of funds that were set aside for their documentary, entitled “Do it for Johnny”, they found themselves in a pickle. The documentary had gained such popularity in the past few months that it had far surpassed their wildest expectations, and blossomed into an amazing event which has had them commuting twice to Hollywood, with more interviews booked for Texas, and Hollywood yet again. Following their first trip to Hollywood, the exponentially flourishing project had racked up over 5,000 hits on the website since October of ‘04. So, shelving a project like this due to lack of funding was unthinkable. But still, without money there was no means with which to pursue it. Then, late one night, in the hazy throes of a tedious editing session, Director Haylar Garcia had a lighting bolt strike him. In this vast world of hardline entertainment and dog eat dog, demographic driven productions, where could “the little guy” find the money to support one simple artistic vision???
Of course, Haylar thought. Where else but… Ebay!!!
So beginning on January 20th 2005, and for the following ten days, anyone on the planet can log onto the largest digital auction-house in the world and bid on a trilogy of auctions, which are designed to sell three separate “Executive Producer Credits” to anyone with the means and the will to believe in this hopeful documentary. A first in eBay history, will these Indie filmmakers meet their budget needs? *Are there at least 3 philanthropists on this planet who will believe in this project enough to step up, log on, and bid?
Over the course of the next ten days, the world is about to find out.
The auctions can be viewed at:
1st. Ebay item # 6360526857
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6360526857&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT
2nd. Ebay item # 6360528177
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6360528177&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT
3rd. Ebay item # 6360524019
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6360524019&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT
WHAT DO YOU THINK GOOD IDEA !!!!!

Filmmakers have been doing this for YEARS on eBay... LOL. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I think it has more of a chance to succeed if you really have a great "hook" for your project i.e., stalking Johnny Depp.

Hmmmm. They promise to finish the film but no promises of getting a copy. :lol:

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back