• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do feature-film scripts get critiqued?

Hi, all. :)

Is it a common practice for the screenplays of high-budget feature films to be edited by anyone other than the people way on top? For example, is there a process of having people pick apart line-by-line issues, with a red pen, and/or running a screenplay by a group of random people, for a detailed critique?

More specific questions:
- Does market research involve red-pen screenplay critique? If so, is this a common thing?

- Does the production staff often have a say in pointing out screenplay flaws? (I know they CAN, but is this a part of how movies are *usually* made?)

When you answer, please point out if you *know*, or just have a reasonable assumption. :)
Thanks!

If you're talking about a studio assembling a focus group of non-writers/non-filmmakers to critique a screenplay prior to production, I've certainly never heard of that. For one thing, your average Joe likely wouldn't know how to interpret a screenplay, any more than someone who isn't in construction would know how to properly interpret a blueprint.

At any rate, it isn't necessary because by the time a script reaches that level of development it's gone through dozens of expert hands, including writers, agents, producers, more writers, directors, etc. And that isn't always a good thing.

they certainly don't do it the way that you presented, but often (and i mean VERY OFTEN) studios will pay other writers to write another draft, often mostly revision... these writers usually receive no credit, for example Judd Apatow (WAY before his success) wrote the majority of the film "The Cable Guy." Good luck finding his name in the credits

Is it a common practice for the screenplays of high-budget feature films to be edited by anyone other than the people way on top? For example, is there a process of having people pick apart line-by-line issues, with a red pen, and/or running a screenplay by a group of random people, for a detailed critique?

More specific questions:
- Does market research involve red-pen screenplay critique? If so, is this a common thing?

- Does the production staff often have a say in pointing out screenplay flaws? (I know they CAN, but is this a part of how movies are *usually* made?)

When you answer, please point out if you *know*, or just have a reasonable assumption. :)
Thanks!
The coverage report will take into account the potential audience, how the genre of the script fits into the current market, as well as the actual story and script elements, so yes, there is some market consideration although it is not in great detail at this stage.

Feedback from cast and crew does play a part but later on, in prep. Cast will have some level of input depending on their status and the director. From the crew it is usually story time and logical/continuity stuff that comes to light from their breakdowns. If you mean to ask if crew can suggest story ideas, then no, it would be out of line, unless the director invites it. They can suggest limitations that their dept. puts on certain scenes and that will affect how the scene is shot. For example, I worked on a shoot where the make-up artist told the director that the scene could full SFX injury so not all of the actor's face could be shown. This is okay. She then went on to tell him how the scene had to be re-written and where he needed to put the camera. Not okay. After they finished the scene, the AD sacked her.

Yes to the first part. No to your example.

When you say, "way on top" I assume you mean the studio heads.
In that case, yes, most scripts are rewritten by other, highly paid,
writers. Sometime the studio hires script doctors who work for hire
and receive no on screen credit. Sometimes the other writers are
given credit.

A group of random people are never allowed to critique, pick apart
line-by-line or rewrite a script written for a studio under the WGA
agreement.

More specific questions:
Not at the script level.

No. The production staff has no say at all in the screenplay.

Thanks!
I *know*.

Thanks a lot, all. :)

I'm trying to figure out why so many movies have such obvious issues, that everyone in the audience can easily spot. The example I always have in mind is any movie where a monster is chasing someone, then traps them, and, instead of killing them, roars in victory for like 5 seconds, giving time for someone to come make a last-second rescue.

There's an assortment of common movie mistakes like this that you would THINK someone points out, when they read the screenplay. I'm trying to figure out what happens, and why these things slip through the cracks.

Last edited:
The example that jumps to my mind is any movie where a monster is chasing someone, then traps them, and, instead of killing them, roars in victory for like 5 seconds, giving time for someone to come make a last-second rescue.

"When you enjoy something, you must never let logic get too much in the way. Like the villains in all the James Bond movies. Whenever Bond breaks into the complex: 'Ah, Mr. Bond, welcome, come in. Let me show you my entire evil plan and then put you in a death machine that doesn't work'."

-- Jerry Seinfeld, "Sein Language"

:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, all. :)

I'm trying to figure out why so many movies have such obvious issues, that everyone in the audience can easily spot. The example that jumps to my mind is any movie where a monster is chasing someone, then traps them, and, instead of killing them, roars in victory for like 5 seconds, giving time for someone to come make a last-second rescue.
Most often your example is not an issue or mistake but the decision
of the filmmaker. You may not like it and you may believe that others
don't like it and you may be right. But in your example if the monster
killed the person at that moment the movie is over. So for the sake of
continuing a story the writer gives that moment where the person can
escape or be rescued and the story continues.

Yes there are better ways and you may see them, but just keep in mind
that it might be no more than a creative decision you disagree with.

There's an assortment of common movie mistakes like this that you would THINK someone points out, when they read the screenplay. I'm trying to figure out what happens, and why these things slip through the cracks.
I think the most common reason things slip through the crack is because
movies are made by people who make mistakes. Filmmakers are only
human and often miss little things. Sometimes the original writer wrote
it without any mistakes, but the new writer made a change that created
a different mistake. Sometimes it honestly doesn't seem like a problem
until the movie is finished and then it simply costs too much to go back
and fix it.

There are many, many reasons why common movie mistakes like this that
you would THINK someone would point out but everyone misses happen.
One of those reasons is that some writers just aren't that competent.

Making a movie is extraordinarily complex - I am often amazed that there
aren't MORE mistakes that make it to the screen.

Back