Do Chinese filmgoers prefer local films?

I guess they do prefer Chinese films.

I don't profess to understand much about the Chinese lifestyle/culture. I'd expect local films to have a huge leg up over Hollywood films on delivering what the local populace want and what authorities will allow to be shown, so I'm not surprised.

Like Sweetie, I'm not surprised.

From the article: “ ...as opposed to Hollywood blockbusters where you have to read subtitles.” That probably just about says it all. They're just like, say American audiences, who prefer to watch films made in English with Western sensibilities. It's not chauvinism, necessarily, it's the simple fact that a film is more immediate, natural, easier to enjoy and easier to relate to that way...when its your culture being expressed on the screen.

And when Chinese films are benefitting from the latest sorts of production values, I mean things like cutting edge VFX, not to mention big money, who need's Hollywood films aimed first and foremost at the English speaking world, or I mean to say, audiences for whom English is a first language, and for whom Western culture is the norm?

And I wonder, I wouldn't want to make too much of it, this is just speculation on my part, but I'm under the impression that nationalism among many Chinese is a powerful force these days. Well, it's not really speculation on my part. I've heard it described in news reports on the TV. So anyway, I guess the speculative part is, if I'm an average citizen of the PRC, or more relevantly, if I'm an average film going citizen of the PRC, does nationalism play any part in which films I choose to buy tickets to?

But I would think that any such possible factor of nationalism likely pales in comparison to the simple pleasure of enjoying a film made for and steeped in your own language and culture.

What's a BB Chinese, may I ask?

British Born...

Means I look Chinese, Chinese people fall around laughing when I speak Chinese (imagine if you knew a white guy who spoke English with a heavy Chinese accent), I know loads of Chinese people and am always slightly sceptical about definitions of ethnicity and culture.

Back