DIY Craft services on location

Ok all,
I need some practical advise on feeding 20 or so people, cheaply, with food that can be delivered on location with minimum of prep. Im a good cook, so DIY is a must.

Thanks

Lots of coffee (I have 60-cup percs)

Lots & lots of water (Bottled 16's is convenient, but also expensive & wasteful)

Cup-a-soup packages (just add hot water)

For something more substantial, you can pick up massive frozen lasagna trays for about $9 at a Smart & Final (both vege & meat) and toss into an oven for a few hours. (Also other italian-wannabe frozen trays of food)

People get easily pissed off when it comes to food. If they are working hard for you for low pay, it may seem like a small thing, but they will be looking forward to good food, and that will keep them happy. Good food brings comfort. If you try to cut corners and think it's just a meal all they need is something in their belly you will not be popular. A dozen bagels and a carton of Tropicana is not breakfast.

A good meal is going to really help you get help for the next project. That is why it is critical to try to make them happy. Like if you promise pizza make sure it shows up on time and is not cold. My as well get some good pizza since Pizza Hut has $10 pizzas now. I think having some one that is not an actor or in the crew that is dedicated to make sure there is food and beverage on time. Make your own sandwiches is a good idea. I know some people are vegatarians or are on diets that make it more difficult to guess what they would want. So maybe ask a head of time if they have special needs.

My suggestion is to ask a mother to help maintain the food for the actors and crew. Someone that can be trusted to take care of the food/beverages for everyones well being. I am sure there would be someone willing to help out in that regard as long as you helped provide money for food and beverages.

I agree on keeping snacks and beverages to help fuel the crew is a good idea.

Last edited:
right, but on limited budget, over spending by 100% on food is a waste of money that could have gone to renting a jib for the day or something else. Though, nothing went to waste, I brought most the leftovers home, we ate the last of the leftover fresh packaged lettuce this evening. So I guess it all works out.

I'm in New Mexico, warm burritos are the best. Making them, however, is laborious and perhaps better left to your favorite restaurant who will give you a group discount. Clean up is throwing away the wrapper.

I shot my film in January here, so the red chile went down niiiiiiice....:yes:

Back