Distribution Glossary?

After hearing about the nightmares of self-distribution, my company decided to go with a distributor for our indie DVD. We sent out press kits and tried to get someone to bite. The only real interest we got was from distributors who would require US to pay to have the discs replicated & packaged upfront. We signed with the company that offered a non-exclusive deal.

Now I'm not sure how hard they'll be working for us, so I'm looking into doing as much legwork as possible. Perhaps signing with someone else in addition to our first distributor.

But I can't quite follow the food chain of the video distribution business.

What's the difference between a distributor, a sub-distributor, a wholesaler, and a fulfillment house?

I need some sort of glossary or road map to figure out who handles what, takes it to whom, and how many middlemen you need to get stuff to retailers.

Hey,
just saw this topic.

If it's any help there's an awesome book called "Hollywood Distributors" I'm pretty sure that's the name. I read it every time I go to Borders. (Not familiar with NY but if there aren't any Borders around, you could probably find it, I'm sure they have a website.

Anyways the book lists every distributor you could think of, what they're looking for, their budgets, contact info, etc. It even lists companies like Film Threat (which I believe is a non-exclusive on demand policy, if they decide to sign your movie aboard). The book has so much info on all that I'm sure there's a spot in there that describes the 4 terms you wanted definitions for. Plus, if a distribution co. catches your eye, there's 99.9% chance they have a website that decribes all the details. If they don't have a website then u should probably be careful.

So, not sure if this helps, but if it does, good, if not, hope you find out what you're looking for, and best luck!

Alter Ego Cinema
www.alteregocinema.com

christdrinkspee said:
mad dog mike, are u the same mad dog mike who does booking for american distress?

Not that I know of. I'm Mike Boas, animator with Animatus Studio and webmaster of maddogmovies.com.

Mad Dog Mike said:
Okay, this is either one huge coincidence, or someone at CustomFlix has been reading my posts.

They just started a 10 Tips for Distribution newsletter, similar to their DVD authoring one.

Subscribe here:
http://www.customflix.com/DistributionTips

Great reference. I'm sending this on to the director of my short. His last short's a bit "fringe" (his word, not mine), so he's not really sure how to pursue a distributor for it....I think it's great and it just won BEST OF FESTIVAL AWARD - SHORT FEATURE at The Berkeley Video & Film Festival 2004, so there must be a distributor out there somewhere for it.

pronnes

Back