Distribution Companies

I have a question about Distribution companies. I'm working on a low budget film and I was thinking about self distribution on places like film baby and createspace.

I wanted to find out has anyone had any success with a film distributor. I often here about people not making any money from their distributor.

Here's some companies that I looked at.

Maverick Entertainment.
York Entertainment
Image Entertainment

Does anyone know about these companies or are there others you might recommend?

Thanks

don't expect to make any money from distributors if you have a truly indie film. The they are going to buy it to make money. That means if they think they can sell it for $9.00 they will be purchasing it from you for about $3.00. Unless you have tens of thousands of copies, you will be lucky to make anything off of it.

If you are going to distribute it yourself, then tools such as filmbaby and such are great assets.

Look for some smaller online movie stores that support indie film. Send them a free copy asking them to review it and carry it if the film meets their standards. I know in a few weeks a partner and myself will be opening a movie store that reviews 100% of its inventory. We will be supporting indie film and selling it along side mainstream movies if the film meets our standards. If we are doing it, I am sure others would too.

Be very careful of York. There are a couple of threads about them
here.

Maverick is a good company. If you have what they’re looking for.
They won’t pay you up front money unless you have a name star,
but they do pay a fair percentage if your movie makes any money
for them

Image is looking for pretty high concept pictures. Once again, if
you have the type of product they are looking for, you should be
able to get distribution. They, too, are looking for names.

We usually go with Alternative Cinema (which used to be known as Pop Cinema), also under the name of Shock 'O Rama and other branches. (http://www.alternativecinema.com/)

They are always good to us. They are one of the few indie distribution companies still kicking because they have such a massive catalog of films.

If your movie has an audience, is high quality, and the budget was low, you are likely to make profit. They just picked up our last film NUN OF THAT, which had an entire budget of 8K...and since we've already began making profit on screenings alone even before it was picked up or released, you can bet we'll make a profit. Plus the movie is unique and good quality.

So if you didn't spend much on the film...and it gets picked up...you'll likely make some kind of a profit if the distro company is worth a damn.

Thanks for all the good advice.

It is a low budget feature. The budget is 10k. I just heard a few horror stories about films getting a distributor and the distributor cooks the books and the filmaker doesn't see a dime even though his movie is selling moderately well.

IndieFlix will distribute your film and only take 30% of your net profit. The other 70% goes to you. Also, we're non-exclusive. We help you market your film with targeted niche marketing. For example, we recently contacted Wrestling Magazine USA about a film we have called "Perfect Sport," which is a story about a high school wrestler. They asked us to write an article for them. A huge profile of the film will be featured in an upcoming issue of their magazine and sent to their fan base which reaches the millions.

We really strive to help you figure out where your audience is and how to reach them.

I was thinking about self distribution on places like film baby and createspace.
This site makes an argument in favor of self-distribution.
http://www.junkyardwillie.com/webpages/filmmaking.htm
Is giving away 30% to a "distributor" worth it if all they do is get you Internet distribution?
I've heard that Image is one of the few companies that will actually pay you an advance if they pick up your movie. I've heard negative stories about York, not just on this site but via word of mouth.

I work for the biggest DVD distributor in the country (Ingram Entertainment). We are a distributor in the sense that we buy from the studios and sell to the retailers (Amazon, blockbuster, etc...), but we also have a division "Monarch" that is a distributor in the sense you are talking about. You might check them out.

I'd also add, calling 10K a "Low budget" feature is the understatment of the year. 300K is "low budget". On a feature 10k is basically "no budget".

Gonzo, just like RomeoFilm I'm also currently looking for distribution. Do you suggest submitting to Ingram or Monarch?

You'd contact Monarch. I know they (like all the distributors) have cut way back on the money being thrown around, and they get a lot of titles to look at, BUT if they picked you up it would then open the Ingram distribution network which is basically everywhere. Best Buy, Kmart, Drug stores, Amazon, etc... It's not the area of the company I work in, so no real pull there, I just know rthey exist and pick up a couple titles a month.

Thanks for all the good advice.

It is a low budget feature. The budget is 10k. I just heard a few horror stories about films getting a distributor and the distributor cooks the books and the filmaker doesn't see a dime even though his movie is selling moderately well.
Realistically you aren't going to see enough of a profit
on a 10k feature for you to worry about a distributor
"cooking the books." There is almost no market for
the movie you have.

So if you can get even York to put your movie on DVD
and in distribution for no up front money you should
be very grateful. And if they sell 300/500 units and you
don't see any money you can at least say your movie
is in general distribution. And that's a good thing.

I'd also add, calling 10K a "Low budget" feature is the understatment of the year. 300K is "low budget". On a feature 10k is basically "no budget".

Hey hey hey! You just watch your mouth Mr! ;) lol.

It's called a 'micro budget'...not 'no budget.'

:)

Oh and my two cents: on films with 20K and under budget, it's not about making a ton of cash...your goal should be to make enough money to shoot your next micro budget feature. Once your catalog of features increases, so does your recognition. In time you should be able to slowly start amping up your production values, and hopefully get more attention from larger companies/audiences.

Last edited:
Hey hey hey! You just watch your mouth Mr! ;) lol.

It's called a 'micro budget'...not 'no budget.'

:)

Oh and my two cents: on films with 20K and under budget, it's not about making a ton of cash...your goal should be to make enough money to shoot your next micro budget feature. Once your catalog of features increases, so does your recognition. In time you should be able to slowly start amping up your production values, and hopefully get more attention from larger companies/audiences.

Haha! You are correct, and I made one ($7000 movie), but it's only 33 minutes long. Trying to make a movie 300% that long with only 50% more money. I shudder to even think about it. The PAs would have to work 8 hours on set then a mandatory 2 hours dumpster diving for tomorrow's craft services.

hey indieflix, I have 8 movies for DVD and tv distribution. They are in Hindi (Indian language) subtitled in English. could you be of some help in my case? if yes, send me your address and I'll send you the DVD of my movies.

regards,
Ace.inc1

I have a question about Distribution companies. I'm working on a low budget film and I was thinking about self distribution on places like film baby and createspace.

I wanted to find out has anyone had any success with a film distributor. I often here about people not making any money from their distributor.

Here's some companies that I looked at.

Maverick Entertainment.
York Entertainment
Image Entertainment

Does anyone know about these companies or are there others you might recommend?

Thanks

Hard to answer the question. Every districts, every country has their own distributors and their policy for release.
You will hardly shout along street like a paper boy. you have to melt into local associaltion or apply to local film authority. in order that to release and replay.

Back