Directors: What are your goals?

As a director what are your main goals? What are your main objectives?

For me (granted, I have zero experience), the most important thing is creating a good working environment. That means everyone on set is comfortable and having a good time, stress is kept to a minimum (as much as it can be), and both cast and crew trust me and my judgement (while at the same time feeling like they can make suggestions to me and that I'll seriously consider what they say).

I figure that if the working environment is good, people are going to put more effort into their work, and the end result will be a lot better. Of course, this starts in pre-production, making sure that the people you hire are going to be easy to work with. Talent is important, but I don't care how talented someone is, if they're impossible to work with, they're not worth it.

But, as I have zero experience, I'd like to know what the main goals and objectives of others are.

A lot of the best directors that inspired your film career have been insufferable pricks and control freaks.

That might be true. However, I have first-hand accounts from many reliable sources who all say that Spielberg is a really nice guy. One such source even went so far as to say that Spielberg is the nicest director he's ever worked with (and the actor who said this has a very long and distinguished IMDB page). I figure if it works for Spielberg...

:)

Interesting reading the replies to this question. I'm not a director (and don 't want to be one thanks!) but I have worked with many directors on professional projects. I use the word professional because there seems to be quite a big difference between the answers I've seen here and the answers as I've seen them in professional practice. Here are the goals as I've seen them:

1. Create a finished product compliant with the distributor's/broadcaster's specifications.
2. Deliver on time and on budget.
3. Aim to artistically satisfy as many of the following as practical:
  • The investors.
  • The distributor/broadcaster.
  • The target audience.
  • The critics.
  • The Director's own artistic integrity.

Everything else, for example the atmosphere on set, are just the methods chosen to arrive at the above goals, not the goals in themselves. As an amateur you can decide whatever goals you want and if a pleasant working atmosphere and a fun experience is your goal that's absolutely fine but as a professional, the atmosphere, fun or anything else you can think of is always secondary to the above goals.

Everyone would like to have a pleasant and fun experience but given that fun is not the highest priority and given that there are both personal egos and professional reputations at stake, as well as (almost always) unrealistic time constraints and therefore a huge amount of pressure, it's not at all uncommon to have problems and for the atmosphere to not be as pleasant as one would like. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but this is just one of a number of harsh realities of making a living as a professional film maker.

G

Last edited:
Interesting reading the replies to this question. I'm not a director (and don 't want to be one thanks!) but I have worked with many directors on professional projects. I use the word professional because there seems to be quite a big difference between the answers I've seen here and the answers as I've seen them in professional practice. Here are the goals as I've seen them:

1. Create a finished product compliant with the distributor's/broadcaster's specifications.
2. Deliver on time and on budget.
3. Aim to artistically satisfy as many of the following as practical:
  • The investors.
  • The distributor/broadcaster.
  • The target audience.
  • The critics.
  • The Director's own artistic integrity.

Everything else, for example the atmosphere on set, are just the methods chosen to arrive at the above goals, not the goals in themselves. As an amateur you can decide whatever goals you want and if a pleasant working atmosphere and a fun experience is your goal that's absolutely fine but as a professional, the atmosphere, fun or anything else you can think of is always secondary to the above goals.

Everyone would like to have a pleasant and fun experience but given that fun is not the highest priority and given that there are both personal egos and professional reputations at stake, as well as (almost always) unrealistic time constraints and therefore a huge amount of pressure, it's not at all uncommon to have problems and for the atmosphere to not be as pleasant as one would like. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but this is just one of a number of harsh realities of making a living as a professional film maker.

G

I appreciate what you're saying, no doubt. And none of this sounds surprising to me, honestly, I think you've done a great job relaying what sounds like very good business practice.

This website has a handful of regulars who make a living at this, but most of us are on the outside, looking in. I would expect the two different perspectives to have two very different outlooks. Needless to say, the following is just my personal perspective:

I am a professional restaurant worker. I'm good at what I do. Within this industry, I have a good job. And if/when I ever decide to give up "serious" pursuit of filmmaking, there is no question that I can get an even better restaurant job, and make a legit career out of it.

But that's not what I want to do. Yes, I want to get paid to make movies, but my #1 reason for wanting to become a professional filmmaker is not financial. I simply want to get paid to do something that I love. I want to get paid to have fun.

Maybe I'm just being naive. Maybe I just haven't yet had a chance to have my rose-colored-glasses shattered. Of course I understand that filmmaking is a business. But if I can't enjoy the business, then what's the point? I might as well just stick with a career that I'm pretty comfortable with. And maybe I'm just a hopeless dreamer, but I have to think that those whom I idolize the most are having fun on their productions, because to me, the proof is in the products they make.

EDIT: Oh, and one afterthought -- a lot of us are speaking from the perspective of the zero-budget filmmaker, which means that maintaining a fun atmosphere actually IS a strategy for success, because it makes people want to work with you again. There are lots of people at this level who just don't seem to care, so when you finally get to work with talented and dependable people who are passionate about their work, you need to hold on to them. And since you're not paying them, you need to 1) deliver a product that they're proud to be part of, and 2) make sure they have enjoy working with you.

Last edited:
Maybe I can chime in here. I don't really have film directing experience,yet.:) But I do work as

a plant manager in a production environment (printing/finishing). So, from a production stand

point, read - getting stuff done, I find it is better to give assignments with very clear objectives

without micromanaging. It will usually go something like this: "I need X amount, by Y date, and

ABC are the criteria we need to meet. Get it done however you feel is best." Then I get out of

the way. The only time I step in to "micromanage" is when something isn't happening that

needs to be. But even then I never show anger or malice. It's business and we need to get it

done, period. We can discuss what went wrong later and decide what changes need to be

made, and what not to do again. If the same things go wrong time after time with he same

person, then it might be time to make a change. So, I guess I'm trying to say that this is the

approach I would take in dealing with "work stuff" on set. Now, how do you deal with a

temperamental actor/actress that you would really like for a certain part??? Beats me?:)

my #1 reason for wanting to become a professional filmmaker is not financial. I simply want to get paid to do something that I love. I want to get paid to have fun.

Maybe I'm just being naive.

With all due respect, I think you are being naive. No one is just going to give you money and tell you to go and have fun making a film and deliver it when it's finished. Someone is either going to invest in your film or employ you, either way they are going to want something in return for their money and that means a contract with delivery dates and specifications for which ever distributor or broadcaster the investor/employer is hoping to make their money back from. Like it or not, you are now back to the goals which I listed.

If you take the words "to get paid" out of your sentences above, then yes, by all means make fun your priority but if you want to get paid and be a professional filmmaker then it is financial by definition. You can still try to have some fun but the terms of your contract define your priorities and I've never seen a film/tv contract with any clauses prioritising having fun.

G

With all due respect, I think you are being naive. No one is just going to give you money and tell you to go and have fun making a film and deliver it when it's finished. Someone is either going to invest in your film or employ you, either way they are going to want something in return for their money and that means a contract with delivery dates and specifications for which ever distributor or broadcaster the investor/employer is hoping to make their money back from. Like it or not, you are now back to the goals which I listed.

If you take the words "to get paid" out of your sentences above, then yes, by all means make fun your priority but if you want to get paid and be a professional filmmaker then it is financial by definition. You can still try to have some fun but the terms of your contract define your priorities and I've never seen a film/tv contract with any clauses prioritising having fun.

G

Yeah, we're just really not on the same page. We're kind of hung up on this phrase "have fun", and I don't think we're envisioning even slightly the same thing when that phrase is mentioned.

It was pure rhetoric when I said, "maybe I'm naive, but...". I'm a very long way from naive. The key word in that phrase was, "but". Am I comparatively inexperienced in this field? Yes. Naive? Absolutely not.

I think the fact that you're not a director has at least a little bit to do with our disparity in understanding each other. I also think you're not fully taking into consideration the context of this conversation. Although it's not specifically stated in the title of the thread, most of the conversation has been about our goals on the set. In order to understand the importance of that distinction, consider this comparison.

An old coworker of mine is quite literally a rockstar. His band blew up, they're on the radio nation-wide, selling out every single venue they play. Last time he came to town, I had the opportunity to pick his brain on the experience. Needless to say, there are upsides and downsides. Overall, he loves it, but yes, there are drawbacks (constant traveling, for example). But when he's on stage, performing, he's having an absolute blast. It's fun! And if he weren't having fun, I'm pretty sure the performance would suffer.

Okay, now back to movies. Same logic above applies to actors and actresses. Production is their equivalent of being on stage. They are, quite literally, performing. Acting is fun for them. They are basically reverting back to childhood, and playing make-believe. If they aren't having fun, you can rest assured that their performance will suffer.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this -- who works with actors and actresses? The director. Who is right there beside them, reverting back to childhood, playing make-believe? The director. Are there downsides to both jobs? Of course, nothing is all cheery roses all the time. But at the end of the day directing is fun (for me). And acting is fun (for actors and actresses).

And I repeat, this isn't some silly idea of putting fun before everything else:

I want to be filthy-stinking-rich.

Oh, wait, you're talking about my goals on the set? Obviously, priority #1 is to make an awesome movie. But I also just want to have fun, and I don't see those as contradictory to each other. I make okay money, bartending. I'm not spending all this time in filmmaking so that I can make more money. I'm doing it because I want a career in which I truly enjoy my work, every single day. So, I don't ever want to forget that we should all be enjoying ourselves.

Conveniently, I also think having fun is the best way to make an awesome movie. It's an absolute joy for me to see my ideas come to shape, and they don't always take shape the way I originally imagined. Those surprises can be exhilarating, and they only happen when everyone feels free to let their creative juices flow. To me, the best way to make an awesome movie is to create an environment in which everyone stays on task, but feels uninhibited to revert back to childhood and just play pretend.

In addition to all that, I'd really like to be filthy-stinking-rich! :D

I'm sure it's not the same for every director and every movie. But there's no way in hell I could ever believe that Spielberg, Ford and Connery didn't have an absolute blast, making "Last Crusade". By the way, I think it's no coincidence that the two worst movies I've ever made are the two that I had the least fun making. As far as I'm concerned, for someone in my position (and I don't care how big or small the budget), if production is a chore to get through, you've done something wrong and you're probably making a lousy movie (I'm talking to you, McG).

I know how to meet a deadline, and everything isn't always fun, all the time. True story -- I once put in 100 hours of editing, in a span of 5-days, in order to meet a deadline. That's not an exaggeration, and I promise -- it was not fun.

But production? Pure. Unadulterated. Fun. Hard work, yes. But fun.

Last edited:
Am I comparatively inexperienced in this field? Yes. Naive? Absolutely not.

I would say that almost by definition, Naivete is a direct result of inexperience and that many of those who profess not to be naive only realise how naive they were after many years experience. 15 years ago I was earning a very good living from TV and film and did not consider myself at all naive but now I look back and cringe, I should imagine in 15 years time I'll look back to this point in time and feel the same again.

Working professionally there are so many more people involved, so many more things to go wrong, so much more expectation, so much more pressure and so little time. It takes a very unusual type of person to cope with the pressure and still produce high quality work, an even rarer type of person to come back for more punishment and rarer still is the type of person who actually enjoys it and can live their life that way! I see huge numbers of amateurs (particularly in music) fall by the wayside, not because of any lack of desire or talent but because the profession turns out to be quite different from their expectations, even with many years of experience as an amateur.

...there's no way in hell I could ever believe that Spielberg, Ford and Connery didn't have an absolute blast, making "Last Crusade".

The "Last Crusade" had a guaranteed market, a huge budget and a cast and crew about as talented and experienced as exists. If you're basing your expectations of the world of professional film making on films like "The Last Crusade", I believe you're in for a nasty shock.

I don't think we are going to get any closer to agreeing on this point. All I can say is that I hope you get the opportunity to gain years of experience as a professional director.

G

I would say that almost by definition, Naivete is a direct result of inexperience and that many of those who profess not to be naive only realise how naive they were after many years experience. 15 years ago I was earning a very good living from TV and film and did not consider myself at all naive but now I look back and cringe, I should imagine in 15 years time I'll look back to this point in time and feel the same again.

Your understanding of the definition of "naive" is a little off. By your definition, we're naive until the day we die, because of the fact that we're truly learning more and more about the world every day. "Not as experienced as" does not mean the same as "naive". I'm not as experienced as a director as I'd like to be; I'm not naive.

Working professionally there are so many more people involved, so many more things to go wrong, so much more expectation, so much more pressure and so little time. It takes a very unusual type of person to cope with the pressure and still produce high quality work, an even rarer type of person to come back for more punishment and rarer still is the type of person who actually enjoys it and can live their life that way! I see huge numbers of amateurs (particularly in music) fall by the wayside, not because of any lack of desire or talent but because the profession turns out to be quite different from their expectations, even with many years of experience as an amateur.

I don't think we are going to get any closer to agreeing on this point. All I can say is that I hope you get the opportunity to gain years of experience as a professional director.

The "Last Crusade" had a guaranteed market, a huge budget and a cast and crew about as talented and experienced as exists. If you're basing your expectations of the world of professional film making on films like "The Last Crusade", I believe you're in for a nasty shock.

I appreciate your kind sentiment, and I take it at face value. And you're right, we might not get any closer to agreeing on this point, because to be honest, your not really taking part in the conversation. I've tried to explain it to you, and you literally ignored the most important parts of my last post.

Back to the question of naivete. I lack experience as a professional director. And that is why you're dismissing my opinions. But I'm not completely lacking in knowledge. I do my best to emulate the best. And the only way for me to do that is to find out how they do what they do. I search for information in as many ways as possible. I read. I watch behind-the-scenes videos. I listen to DVD commentary tracks. I talk to people who've worked with them. Many of the people who worked on my debut feature also worked on Spielberg's "Lincoln". I probed every single one of them about what he was like, how he behaved. One of the leads in my feature actually has a fairly significant role in "Lincoln"; he had his own trailer!

And then what do I do with all this knowledge? I apply what I've learned on my own sets. I make mistakes, and learn from them. I have moments of brilliance, and I remember to do that again. This is what's called gaining experience.

How much experience do you have as a professional director? None. So, in that one respect, we're equal. You do have a great deal of experience working with professional directors, and that's definitely valuable knowledge. But how much experience do you have as a director, at all? Have you ever directed anything? I don't see anything on IMDB. I don't see a vimeo or youtube page. I have to assume you have zero experience as a director. So, which one of us is naive to the ways of directors?

The main thing is that your comments aren't even on-topic. And I think the reason for that is because your comments are coming from a completely different perspective, so you literally don't know what we're talking about. Read the next line carefully:

What we're talking about is the philosophy of how to pull the best performances out of people, on the set, during production. We're not talking about life-goals, in general. We're not talking about what we'd like our careers to be, in general. We're talking about one specific aspect of directing -- production (again, that's not specifically stated in the thread title, but it's definitely what the conversation has gravitated towards). We're talking about managing a creative team of artists, and for a director, a great deal of that interaction is with actors and actresses.

Do I expect my professional life to ever be like Spielberg's? Of course not (though I'd obviously like it to be). But when it comes to learning how to manage a creative team of artists, you'd better damn well believe that he is whom I most try to emulate (he happens to be my favorite, hence the constant references to him).

Take this into consideration -- do actors and actresses work a part, or do they play a part? If they don't work in movies, they work in plays. Do you think these words mean nothing? How many professional actors or actresses do you know? I know quite a few, and many have worked on my productions. And when they are doing their best work, they are truly at play.

I seriously think you have misconstrued what all this means to me. Since generalities don't seem to be working, I'll get specific. How does all of this affect my behavior, as director, during production?

- I RELISH surprises!
- I try my best to just be kind and courteous, to everyone.
- I thank people, often, for their hard work.
- I dole out sincere compliments, often, to as many people as possible.
- I always try my best to make my criticisms constructive.
- If someone cracks a funny joke, I laugh. I might joke back.
- If I think of a funny joke, I crack it.
- If someone wants to share an idea with me, I listen. In fact, I actively encourage people to share them.
- If I don't like the idea, I'm as diligent as I can possibly be (dismissive comments are a no-no).
- I RELISH surprises!

Generally speaking, I try to keep a fairly playful attitude. And you know what? None of this comes at the cost of production, because a playful attitude does not have anything to do with whether or not you stay on task. Compared to other people in my shoes, I actually keep a rather tightly-paced schedule. And more importantly, in my opinion, this playful nature creates an environment in which my players feel free to play, and for me, that produces the best results. These are my experiences, not my lack-of-experiences.

Again, I'm not at all commenting on what happens after I say those beautiful words, "that's a wrap". That's when you come in, and that's when you see directors in an entirely different light. How could you possibly think that you see a director the same way that their actors do? I'm also not saying that I expect everything to be happy-cheery all the time (or even most of the time). But during production? It's a very high priority, and for damned good reason.

In my opinion and it is just my opinion of course, virtually everything you said in your last post confirms what I said in my last post, so I've nothing further to add.

That's kind of a lame thing to say, if you're not going to elaborate on how anything I've said confirms your point. It's sort of a cop-out, seeing as how everything I've said is in complete contradiction to what you've said. So, basically, you're just going to stick with the "you're-naive" argument, without explaining how, and in what ways you think I'm naive. I repeat, yet again, that none of my comments have had to do with the professional life of a director, in general. I have only commented on my philosophies on how to get the best performances from people I'm working with, during production (specifically, my talent). You really haven't replied to any of my most important comments, except by just saying I'm naive. That's weak.

You should take it at face value, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Nor was I. No hard feelings on my end. A huge disagreement in philosophy (and even in what it is that we're talking about). But no hard feelings.

That's kind of a lame thing to say, if you're not going to elaborate on how anything I've said confirms your point.

Lame, yes it is. I wish I were able to explain exactly what it's like to be a career professional in film/tv but I don't know how to. IMHO there is nothing I can say that's going to make much difference, you've got to experience the professional world for yourself, over a period of time.

I understand you've gone off-topic and are discussing how to pull the best performances out of actors on set. My point is that it doesn't matter what specific area of filmmaking you're talking about, the same goals I mentioned are still always the overriding consideration. Getting a great performance out of your actors is a waste of time if the performance is destroyed by ADR or worse, if no one ever gets to see the performance because the film is shelved, runs out of money, misses it's deadline, fails quality control, etc. If any of these (or various other serious problems) occur, neither the actors, investors, networks or distributors will give a damn how much fun you were to work with on set or how good you were at coaxing a good performance out of the actors, they'll just see you as professionally unreliable and in all likelihood your career is at an end.

Being a professional artist in any field, is at least as much (if not more) about your mistakes and weakenesses than it is about your strengths and flashes of genius. Whereas for an amateur the expectation is lower and the focus is more on the strengths and flashes of genius. Doesn't sound like much of a difference but wait till you have to live with it.

Everything I've said in this post you could probably have worked out from my previous posts, which is why I said that I've nothing really to add in my last post. It still doesn't communicate a fraction of what I would like it to though. Maybe I should make a film?! :)

G

Oddly enough, I think we've found common-ground, in that we both agree that we're having entirely different conversations. :lol:

In your opinion, I've gone off-topic, and in my opinion, you've done the same. Which one of us went off-topic? Doesn't really matter, so we can just leave that one behind. Point is, this entire conversation between has almost been a moot point, because we're actually talking about two different things (and thus, we've never actually disagreed with each other).

I can honestly say that I was only ever talking about how to pull great performances out of people on set, during production (primarily actors/actresses, but not exclusively). And you have been talking about the professional life of a director, in general. I believe every word you've said about the business-practices that exist in professional filmmaking, and I was never even talking about that. So, I guess we can agree to not disagree.

And, yes, you should make a movie! It's ridiculously fun. My latest short is 30-seconds long, and I spent about 2 hours on it, total, so that's something you can do on a weekend afternoon, just for fun. :)

Back