Directors Calling Directions

I'm not sure where to post this, but...

Hello. While watching behind-the-scenes footages of movies during shooting, I've noticed (especially after I bought the Life Aquatic DVD) that directors tend to call out directions to the actors or camerapersons whilst acting is occuring. Being a filmmaker myself, I thought "Gee, that would be really convienent!". But, I came to a haunting question: what about what the director says? I guess my question is: Do they take out the callouts from the director in post, and if so how do they still maintain the original audio? Or do the mics just not pick up on the callouts? I'm quite confused :huh:

As long as the director doesn't step on any dialogue, removing his voice is simply a matter of editing it out and replacing it with room tone and sound effects. Almost all of the production sound is replaced in post anyway.

Hello. While watching behind-the-scenes footages of movies during shooting, I've noticed (especially after I bought the Life Aquatic DVD) that directors tend to call out directions to the actors or camerapersons whilst acting is occuring.

Are you sure that the director was giving direction during an actual take or was it just footage from a camera rehearsal?

Personally I can't imagine any thing more likely to result in poor, unbelieveable performances from an actor than shouting in directions during a take. I mean, you might as well work with glove puppets. :lol:

If that really did happen as directorial style on The Life Aquatic, I hope that Bill Murray took the director out and beat him senseless with a big lump of 2"by 4" at the end of the shoot.

I did a bit of "during the shot direction" during this previous weekend of shooting to great effect. It was after the dialogue of the scene had ended though. It was one of those happy coincidence moments, and the timing on it ended up being perfect, but had I not called it out during the shot it wouldn't have happened, as it was a totally unscripted addition. Also, had we done it as an afterthought that, I believe, is when the poor performance aspect would have come into it. It was a totally improv directing decision that I think really turned out great. :)

(My actress thanked me for it too, she also noticed the chance for the action when I did and was glad I told her to do it. Must have been in the zone on that take...)

Clive, shouting out direction to the actors was the norm back in the silent era. And as far as I know, it hasn't really changed that much over the years, although it's not usually actual shouting unless maybe it's an action scene.

It seems to me that you have a strong belief in the effectiveness of talking at actors during takes. I wish you all the best with it. We each come to directing with a unique perspective and I guess this is yours.

clive said:
It seems to me that you have a strong belief in the effectiveness of talking at actors during takes.

I don't have a particularly strong belief in it either way. I'm just saying that it's a very common practice and has been around since the dawn of filmmaking.

Personally, I'm for whatever works.

As long as you are not stepping on dialogue you can give verbal cues. I hade to do this for an answering machine message. I read the script where the message would play, knowing it was going to be inserted over this, to help the actors with timing and their reactions to the message. Other times, when you don't want to use verbal cues, you can use hand signals, or have the actors count in their head. It all depends on the situation and what you are trying to achieve.

OK. I didn't think this point needed much explaination but it seems I was wrong.

Firstly, like indie just said there are times when things need to be read in from off camera for timing purposes. He gave a perfect example.

Cues for timing in sequences, where that timing is vital to make the action work, and the actors can't cue off each other, can be done verbally or with hand signals.

None of the above instances constitute the director "calling in direction" during a take. In fact, on every set I've ever worked on it's the 1st AD that puts in the verbal cues. Simply because the 1st AD is usually relaying the second cue to the rest of the crew via his/her handset.

But, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about whether giving an actor direction about performance during a take is good directorial practice or not.

In my opinion it's not. It doesn't get the job done. In fact, I'll go further than that, it's a sign of a poor and egotistical director.

There are very good reasons for this and they are primarily to do with focus and attention. More than any other kind of acting, film acting is about focus. In close ups, in particular, we are so on top of the actor that we are aware of changes in their thinking. If an actor mentally changes their atention from the person in front of them to the sound they hear behind them, even if they don't turn round, we are aware of the shift. This is true of every moment within a piece of drama. Every actor on set is on their own personal journey through the story. Their attention is supposed to be within that world. If you have two characters interacting and the director starts calling in direction then their attention isn't on each other, it is on the director. This changes the quality of the acting from deep inner truth to a superficial puppet show and in film that is immediately obvious.

The other reason that it is bad directorial practice is because actors are part of the creative process and by putting their own interpretation onto a piece they add new dimensions to the story. A good director understands this and keeps quiet, because 99% of the magical moments on screen happen by accident or chance, when an actor trancends the role and does something unexpected. The director's job is to nuture that process and the best way to do that is to shut up, watch and listen. There isn't anything that a director can say to an actor when they're working that can't wait. There is always another take.

Another problem with giving direction during a take is that it is broadcast to everyone on the set and that's just not good practice either, good communication with an actor about their role should be done one to one, away from everyone else. It particularly shouldn't be done within the hearing of other actors on set. They shouldn't be aware of the inner processes of any role but their own.

The problem with many directors is that they have no real understanding of acting as a process or of actors. This leads them to give poor quality direction. Calling in direction during a take is demonstration of poor directorial skills. It leads to bad work. It does not get the job done. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what the job is and I don't care if everyone in Hollywood does it, it is poor practice and no subsititue for real direction.

clive said:
Firstly, like indie just said there are times when things need to be read in from off camera for timing purposes.

Um, (tap tap tap) is this thing on? Here's my comment from earlier:

It's really not that unusual, particularly with scenes involving very specific timing.

I didn't give a specific example, but like you say, I didn't think any further explanation was necessary.

But, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about whether giving an actor direction about performance during a take is good directorial practice or not.

Are we? Gopher only said he thought it was odd to see a director shouting out directions to the actors or camerapersons during a take because it seemed like it would affect the audio. Since the shouting was also directed at a cameraperson, it's more than likely a verbal cue by the director or the AD, which we've all now acknowledged is not an uncommon practice.

So the question was about production sound, not about how the relationship between the director and actor should manifest itself on the set.

Last edited:
that directors tend to call out directions to the actors or camerapersons whilst acting is occuring

I see what the problem is. It's a language thing.

You're talking about cueing and I'm talking about direction. If you'd written "Directors sometimes need to cue actors or cameras during a take and the sound is taken out in post" I would have understood the point you were making.

Is this a USA/UK production language thing? On a UK set "calling out direction" would mean exactly that "The director working on the actor's performance, blocking or talking to the DOP about composition or framing"

The process you're talking about we'd call cueing.

If you use "direction" to mean both and that's a USA thing I apologise. I've learnt something.

Oh, and I'm not convinced that your interpretation of the original question is right. I understand that Gopher was asking how it would work techically, which had been answered. But, I felt that linked into that question was another about whether it was OK to give actors DIRECTION whilst the camera was rolling. I maybe wrong about that, but as this thread has proven language is tricky. Words don't have set meanings but usages and different people's perspectives on language give different interpretations. One of the key skills of a director is a ability to see the mulitplicity of usages of the same words.

If you use "direction" to mean both and that's a USA thing I apologise. I've learnt something.

In the US, direction is any kind of instruction the director gives the actors. If I tell them "Okay, wait until you get the news to pick up the phone," that's as much a direction as if I say, "Your mother just died but you're happy about it instead of sad."

That said, it's also not uncommon for directors to shout out performance direction. "Faster." "More intense." "Bigger." And so on. And if that process works for them, then it works for them. The director in Gopher's original question was Wes Anderson, and I don't think anyone would really criticize his methods given the consistently high performances of the actors in his movies.

That said, it's also not uncommon for directors to shout out performance direction. "Faster." "More intense." "Bigger." And so on. And if that process works for them, then it works for them. The director in Gopher's original question was Wes Anderson, and I don't think anyone would really criticize his methods given the consistently high performances of the actors in his movies.

I think every director finds their own way into the work and comes to it with a different agenda. If a director wants to work in that way, God Bless them. I still think it's a poor practice and nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise. And I still hope that Bill Murray beat Wes Anderson half to death with a 2x4 for doing it. In my book it's just so disrespectful and egotisical.

Back