Director Styles - the Clint v the Gee

Ahem. I meant, old-school style. I mean, well... if we're going to relate it to sex with pooches... I mean, just sex...

In his day- tecnique was early. You pointed the camera and let the actors do thier thing. Now-a-days with smaller cameras and advanced gear, you get to be more concious of what you CAN do. Clint still has the old fashioned style though.
And it's not SPECTACULAR in that respect. It's still good- but I don't think he brings anything new to the table. But he sets it nicely, that's for sure.
Not a BAD director, but just a traditional one. And traditional is ok, but I guess I just prefer seeing things that tinker with old ideas, rather than enforcing them.

Am I making sense? I think I just had an aneurism....

-Log...,,,

I think that made sense to me! :)

As for the "new style" directors... Well, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something!

I think Clint is boring and Logan thinks Kubrick is boring... I consider that to be a fair confrontation so far!

I feel that when we get down to the technical aspects of these two directors we'll come to a conclusion on who is technically better. If not... We won't.

-HAWKEYE

Well, that's where I agree whole-heartedly, about Kubrick.
To me, he was brilliant and demented. Gee, I'm using the word brilliant a lot today...

I agree- just because you can, doesn't mean you should, but just because you shouldn't have to because you can, doesn't mean you shouldn't.... er... If it suits the story and style, go for it.

I just saw Sin City, and it was brilliant (there I go again....). The camera moves were original, comic-bookish and well... brilliant.

It's all a matter of specifics. But in a very simple world- if you compare Strangelove to Mystic River, it's defintely Strangelove that takes the cake as classic. Kubrick had pizzaz. He had scope. He was brilliant.

Someone stop me....

-Logan-

HAWKEYE said:
Logan,

Did you just compare Eastwood to Kubrick?!
Are you serious?!

I have to believe that you were just joking and trying to make a point.
You are correct... Eastwood is not a cinematogapher... Kubrick WAS!
Eastwood is not an artist... Kubrick WAS!
Kubrick made art... Eastwood makes "movies"!
Kubrick made art... Eastwood makes money!

The last few Eastwood films required editors to remove the first 20 minutes of Clint's eye
looking through the wrong end of the camera! If only he looked into the .44 Magnum that way we wouldn't have to deal with his infantile crap!

I suppose you could always be a "producer". 'cause making art with film or video is obviously NOT what you can do!

Kubrick's work was "intolerable" to you?! Be honest... You just didn't understand it!
Genius is often misunderstood by hack filmmakers like you!
Just go back to filming your girlfriend wiggling her ass for your next internet "production"!

Please do note that the majority of this posting board didn't even bother responding to your ridiculous comparison between Eastwoody and KUBRICK! Face it... You stepped out of your league on this one!

I'm responding because you cited me in your tirade in comparing genuine artistic filmmaking to hack shit.

You knew you would get this kind of response from me... And I won't let you drag the rest of the genuine artistic filmmakers on this board down to your crappy level.

Just a hint for you... Don't knock KUBRICK... People might just figure out that you don't know shit about what you are doing!

-HAWKEYE
Well, I'm sorry if my post read as mean spirited...you really took offense there. I was just stating my opinion. YOU are the one who compared Kubrick to Eastwood first...remember?!

I think that Kubrick's films are too self indulgent. I can see that he made the films he wanted to see. With little or no compromising. There's nothing wrong with that except that Kubrick and I don't want to see the same film. I want to be enthralled in the film I'm watching. That doesn't mean fast cuts or even a short movie, but it just means that his films are too drawn out for my taste.

Do you think I don't know that Kubrick is known to most filmmakers as a god? I know that. I just disagree. I know that most on this board probably love his films. Does that mean I have to agree or I'm not an artist?!

...and one of my pet peeves is when someone says something isn't art that clearly is. It may be bad art in your opinion, but as long as it is the physical expression of an idea...I consider it art. Eastwood and Kubrick are completely different, and I will never try to say that Eastwood works half as hard as Kubrick did on his films...I just prefer to watch Eastwood.

I am of the school of thought that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm also pretty sure you made yourself look like a jackass by flying off the handle there.

It doesn't matter. You can call me a hack all you want. It doesn't bother me...maybe you're right, but the hatred you have I don't understand.

What's happening and where am I?! :scared:

...I just want to add two things while I'm at my computer.

First of all, while I'm a huge fan of Eastwood, I actually agree that he is a little bit overrated. A little bit. I think he actually knows this himself as well. Judging from his Oscar acceptance speech ("Some great movies win Oscars, and some great movies don't"), I'd say that even he thought the Oscar should have gone to his pal, Scorsese. I haven't seen The Aviator, so I don't know. When it comes to dealing with actors, i think Eastwood is one of the best, though.

I'd also like to say to you Kubrick fans out there that simplicity can be as beautiful or even more beautiful than complexity sometimes. Many people, myself included, are fans of painters like Picasso and Van Gough. Now, as a person who used to paint a lot, I know that those painters didn't have to work very long or hard to get the result they wanted (not compared to classic artists like DaVinci). Infact, I think Van Gough may have been a pretty bad painter. His use of colors (and odd perspectives) more than makes up for this, because his paintings are pleasing to the eye. Now, I think Eastwood is more diligent than those painters, but compared to kubrick it may seem like he just glides through it. To me, the end result is what matters...and i like Eastwood movies.

Hey... Don't confuse my comparison with my respect for you!
It can be said that I am a Kubrick "fanatic"!
Maybe I got a little worked up about discussing my diety... KUBRICK.

I can shoot four hours of film/video and use ten seconds for screentime!
Your description of painters is an excellent analogy. I share my birthday with Michelangelo, and we all know his obsession with attention to detail!

Bro, please don't let my opinion of Clint reflect on or upset you.
It's just different styles! I do it my way and you do it your's...
Who can say who is right and who is wrong, I think we're both right!

There is no reason why you should like what I like or I should like what you like.
If we all liked the same thing we would all be making the same type of films, and that would be no fun at all!

Keep liking Clint, and I'll keep liking Stanley!
That's what keeps what we both do interesting!
Just as long as we both keep doing it!

"Fellow Filmmaker"
-HAWKEYE

You are too funny "Spatula"!
The name cracks me up too! :)

Hey! Who do you like as a director? Hmmmm?

Uh oh... Here it comes! LMAO!

-HAWKEYE

HAWKEYE said:
Bro, please don't let my opinion of Clint reflect on or upset you.
It's just different styles! I do it my way and you do it your's...
Who can say who is right and who is wrong, I think we're both right!
I totally agree! The only thing that was uncalled for was when you insulted me, said I was a hack, I didn't understand Kubrick, I shouldn't try to be a director, I don't know shit, etc.

I can handle someone who hates Eastwood movies...even my movies...just don't start insulting and disrespecting me because of my opinion which I didn't feel was offensive.

Alright. We've hijacked this thread enough. No hard feelings.

Fair enough... I apologize.

No hard feelings.

Other than Spatula, who else has been paying attention anyway?!
And we know about that guy LOL!

-HAWKEYE

I like YOU!
No, seriously... it;s so hard to pick just ONE director.. so I will pick many.

Sam Raimi (for Evil Dead 2, baby... and the way he tortures Bruce)
Quentin (Pulp is funny)
Rodriguez/Miller (saw Sin City last night... WOW)
Don Coscarelli (he's pretty good now, but I see him getting better.. Bubba Ho Tep was great)
Spike Jonze
Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale... elegant, yet brutal)
David Fincher
Kubrick (oh you love me now, don't you?)
Tim Burton (GENIUS!)
Jim Jarmusch
Kevin Smith

Honorable mentions:
Ed Wood (for pure hilarity)
Scorseseses
Dennis Hopper

You set your expectations to high. I refuse to be funny. It's just impossible to please you!!!
That's it, I'm leaving....
No I'm not, who am I kidding? For some reason my girlfriend gets home from work and makes a pot of coffee, and gives me two cups.. well, she's asleep and I'm awake, and I'm starting to see those little squiggly lines, and it feels like there are cobwebs everywhere, and I can't stop giggling at EVERYTHING.
I'll probably write something soon- would be nice to put my insanity to work for me once in a while.. I'm filming a short in two days for the contest here, and I should PROBABLY fix those story-boards up and do some tests in premiere... this will be my first real try at editing... (the only other time I edited was in Video Wave 3... ugh... and I just amused myself by taking random clips and putting stupid effects on them to make the editor think he got really tired and did it himself {he was sleeping at the time} and it was funny, but made no sense)

Can you tell anything about my state of mind? I mean, not only was that the biggest run on sentance EVER, but I used parenthesis within parenthesis, and I never use parenthesis within parenthesis unless I'm trying to confuse a cunning foe... are you a foe?
heheheheeehehehehe

-Smlogan-

Oh crap! I have to compete against this guy?!

Note to self... Avoid comedy and very gory horror!

People named Logan will be the bane of my very existence!
Help me Stanley!

My wife is telling me to come to bed... I better listen, she feeds me!
And changes my Depends when I am editing!

Goo Night!

-HAWKEYE

Night night.
:no:
Am I the only one left?
Is everyone else to bed?

Tune in tomorrow, when the normal world wakes up and wonders what strange going-ons transpired here in this strange cyber playground.

And as a note: My movie will probably not be funny or gorey. It will probably suck. But I will still burden you all with it. It is about a sandwich. A grilled cheese sandwich.
That is all I will reveal.

And people named Logan will be the bane of everyone's existence.
I think. That, or Balthazar.

-Logan-

And those of us who just woke up will just scratch our heads and marvel at the strange goings-on that occur while the rest of us slumber...

Back