• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

determining what size lens to use for a shot

How does one determine what size lens to use for a single shot and for the whole film?

Couldn't it be jarring to go from lets say a 14mm to an 85mm back down to a 35mm?

I was an extra on a TV show recently. I noticed they didn't really ever change lens. When they did, they were drastic changes like 14mm to 100mm. Most of the time they used a 24-290mm zoom. Also, what about filters and the matte box?

thanks in advance

A lot of basics to cover here.

I would recommend you study the basics ad watch some video tutorials on youtube. There are plenty that explain focal lengths, when to use them, what to use them for and general theory and practice behind them.

Check them out :)

It's not the focal length per se (though different ones have different effects on the image) as much as what is framed in the shot (which might different focal lengths on different cameras). You have wide shots, medium shots, medium close up shots, close up shots, extreme close up shots, etc... You use a combination of focal length and camera position to get it framed they way you want it.

What order you edit those together does have "rules", and done wrong it can be jarring.

to OP.
it will all come with experience. What do you want to show in your scene? do you want shallower depth of field so the viewer isnt distracted by the background, and focused on the actor's face? then you can use 50mm, and 2.8f stop. Bang!
do you want to show atmosphere where the action takes place? switch to wide angle 24mm, and get your fstop to 18. bang bang! done!

im slowly getting comfortable with figuring out what lense i want to use for what scene, but it will take many years of practice..

good luck!

Iv been thinking lately that maybe a directors eye piece is not so pretentious as I thought. (Might have to get that iPhone App) Do any of you pros use them for this kinda thing?

Thanks

Calling myself a "pro" is a bit of a stretch, but I use the Artemis iphone app, and If I had $300 to $500 to spend on a "real" director's viewfinder I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

You're on a location scout, hmmmm... how much of the room do I get from this angle with a 17mm on a 7D...

I want the camera right here, should I use an 85 or a 105 to get that MCU I have in mind...

Very handy.

Use a directing viewfinder:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Micro-Professional-Directors-Viewfinder/dp/B0021E2FII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318184383&sr=8-1

This one has a range from 18mm to 200mm and can be used in many aspect ratios (1:1.37, 1:1.66, 1:2.35, 1:1.37, 1:1.3). You can use them to frame your shot before ever having to put a lens on the camera. This can tell you what focal length you want to use. It is also much easier than lugging around a tripod and camera from spot to spot to set up framing. Instead you can determine where you need to shoot from on your specific lens and then move your camera only once.

I use the director's viewfinder app often. It was $7 when I bought it. Not sure what it costs now but it doth come in handy.

I too will get the real deal eventually. After supplemental lighting and grip equipment. A trailer to keep it in. A generator. Few thou worth of audio equipment. And an Epic or two... so eventually probably isn't tomorrow haha.

I use the director's viewfinder app often. It was $7 when I bought it. Not sure what it costs now but it doth come in handy.

I too will get the real deal eventually. After supplemental lighting and grip equipment. A trailer to keep it in. A generator. Few thou worth of audio equipment. And an Epic or two... so eventually probably isn't tomorrow haha.

Yeah, something I want, but a little down the priority list. Artemis was pricey when I got it maybe 18 months ago, like $39.

Thanks for all the responses!
I've been looking up some videos on youtube to get a better understanding and also considering renting some lens.

to OP.
it will all come with experience. What do you want to show in your scene? do you want shallower depth of field so the viewer isnt distracted by the background, and focused on the actor's face? then you can use 50mm, and 2.8f stop. Bang!
do you want to show atmosphere where the action takes place? switch to wide angle 24mm, and get your fstop to 18. bang bang! done!

im slowly getting comfortable with figuring out what lense i want to use for what scene, but it will take many years of practice..

good luck!

I'm filming in a large 1800's, Spanish style mall with very beautiful architecture. I knew I wanted some wide angle lenses to capture the mall and its size. Then I wanted a tighter lens focusing on the two characters conversing. the next part is knowing the rules to editing shots of different focal lengths.

Thanks for your response!

try and storyboard the action out.

also, the rules that you DO follow enable you to cut between the shots in any creative way you like.

Continuity and Coverage are the search terms your after

Some of it depends on the script, not just some visual rules. Longer lenses will give the audience a more claustrophobic feeling. You'll generally want more distance between the subject and the background to show off what the lens does as well. Wider lenses are good for showing off environments and for getting taller frames in tight spaces. They also keep the backgrounds farther away form the subject... therefore less "internal"

The blurry claustrophobic backgrounds tend to suggest that a character is being more "internal" with a line or a moment where the wider lensed background with more focus will show them "externally" interacting and being aware of their environment..

You can also manage relationship changes during a dialog by changing lenses to reflect the characters getting closer together or farther apart with the same framing for the main subject.

The thing about director's vf is that for a little more money you can get a dslr, which is what most people here use any way. dslr+zoom lens=director's vf.

I've only personally known a few people that use them, and they don't actually "Use" them, they wear them. They just dangle there...

The thing about director's vf is that for a little more money you can get a dslr, which is what most people here use any way. dslr+zoom lens=director's vf.

I've only personally known a few people that use them, and they don't actually "Use" them, they wear them. They just dangle there...

I shoot primarily with DSLRs and I love having a director's VF. When I'm walking around figuring out shots it's annoying taking my camera off its rig to have a DVF. Having a lightweight DVF around my neck is extremely convenient and saves time. I didn't realize just how much time until mine broke and I was on a shoot without one.

I shoot primarily with DSLRs and I love having a director's VF. When I'm walking around figuring out shots it's annoying taking my camera off its rig to have a DVF. Having a lightweight DVF around my neck is extremely convenient and saves time. I didn't realize just how much time until mine broke and I was on a shoot without one.

Yeah, I do it with the iphone app, but the real deal is on the shopping list. I'd rather not have to pull the phone out, open the application, etc...

Thanks again for all the responses. I guess practice will make perfect!

As far as story boarding goes I was thinking, couldn't I just take photos of the shots I want? If I had access to the location, I could use a stand-in and take multiple shots, make a note of camera direction/movement at the bottom of the picture, then compose those in the order I want and I"ll have a storyboard. Just a thought (probably been done before).

Thanks again for all the responses. I guess practice will make perfect!

As far as story boarding goes I was thinking, couldn't I just take photos of the shots I want? If I had access to the location, I could use a stand-in and take multiple shots, make a note of camera direction/movement at the bottom of the picture, then compose those in the order I want and I"ll have a storyboard. Just a thought (probably been done before).

People do it for sure. I don't think it's worth the effort myself. I just use stick figures, but that's just me. If it works for you (and as I said a lot of people do it) then go for it.

Notes on lighting or actually shading the images the way you want them to look help too. The best storyboards are ideally for the whole crew. Camera, Lighting, Audio, Set, props, costume, makeup etc.. Helps everyone know what needs to be done.

Back