• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch DEPART FROM ME (sci-fi)

That was amazing! Great look and feel of the whole thing, and the eerie soundtrack added a lot. Great vfx work too. What kind of budget did you have?

Very cool!
smiley_science.gif

Excellent.
Everything.
Very impressive.

I though people were only allowed to make light sabers and fireballs shoot from between their hands using AfterEffects.
Who knew it could be used for so much more.

Great movie! I went to your site and checked out the vampire sculptures, etc. I am uber-impressed with your talent.

Is there a way I could get a DVD of your short, to show at IndieMeet? I can trade you for one of my silly sci-fi movies.

thanks

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm going to try an post the original footage so people can get an idea of what it looked like when I shot it. So no Visual effects or color correction. I'll try and do that tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know.

Thanks again everyone! Here is a new video. This is a video of the original footage (no visual effects, no color correction). Some of the shots are missing, but i think it's kinda fun to see all the blue screens and such.

http://vimeo.com/23619850

Ah, man, why ya'll got make me be the bad guy?

Dmathen1, from a technical perspective, this film is freaking incredible. The stellar VFX work are most obvious, but it's just flat out terrific, in so many ways -- the lighting, your shot-selection, editing, lots of cool stuff I could point out. Like everyone else, I really dig your style.

HOWEVER, if you intend this to be anything more than a demo reel, it's falling far short. I'm a strong believer in the wisdom that story trumps all else, and I see no story here. None, whatsoever. I don't know what you intended with this -- was it supposed to be an experimental kinda thing, in which you use heavy metaphor to allow your audience to draw their own conclusions? Except, you put it in the narrative section, so I have to wonder if you think this has a narrative (it really doesn't).

The relative awesomeness of this short depends very much on what your intents were. If it was pretty much just your intent to show your technical prowess, then you have FAR exceeded expectations. But if straight-up storytelling was your intent, then I think your story/eye-candy ratio is way too low.

Ok, so now that I put that honest critique on the table, let me say ditto to what Opus said -- How do we work together?

No, really. My next feature is going to require some SFX like this. I hope you stick around these forums. Cheers!

I think CrackerFunk has a point. I don't know if I understand the story beyond, say, some people are doing some evil experiment on someone that they shouldn't be doing. But I was satisfied with it. Believe me, I've seen quite a few shorts where I didn't know WHAT the hell was going on.

In terms of VFX work, I think anybody who spends enough time on Andrew Kramer's site can pull it off. It was great, but I didn't really see anything new.

What I found REALLY impressive, was the way you put everything together. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, this film is an example of just HOW much work needs to go into planning for a proper execution. Execution was so spot on, that I could see you doing all the planning by yourself, while everybody else was having a good time, and you are planning and you are planning and you are planning, probably by yourself. So I just thought that was simply awesome. I think that kind of dedication needs to be patted on the back every time there is a chance to do it.

CF you ain't a bad guy ;). It was a good critique.

Thanks, trueindie. :)

As for the VFX, no, I didn't see anything new, but like you alluded to in the following paragraph, it's all about the excecution. We don't always need to re-invent the wheel; just make a really good wheel. And that's what Dmathen1 has done -- he pulled it off with near-perfection, and that's very admirable.

I see no story here. None, whatsoever.

Sure, it might be experimental (and evolved from something else)... but this story has been told since the dawn of recorded history... even with a nod to a particular publication from 1818.

Maybe I'm just reading more into the OP's work than is there, but there's a lot more happening there than a VFX showcase.

Back