Deferred Payment, People vs. George Lucas

Interesting...
I saw the film when the Island was in the Phoenix film festival with it. Good film
Why can't people just communicate honestly with each other. This dustup sure seems like it could have been avoided with some better communication.

The founder of Twitch's subsequent note is also very telling and he's absolutely right, it's not a journalist's place to start attacking a production on the basis of a few rumours.

I think Alexandre Philippe's reply shows that he has far, far too much time on his hands but he is, for the most part, correct.

Interesting stuff though, will there be a People vs Alexandre Philippe?

Moral of the story? Don't be a crappy journalist who writes a story based on what your friend told you. Someone whose job it is to report accurate information has absolutely no ground to stand on to discuss ethics when they make biased, uninformed assertions.

Pfffff......artwork.....I have seen better...

Agreed, If this artist is holding on to this 12 minutes of beginner photoshop work for 4 years, maybe he's too stupid or lazy to deserve payment.

I throw away stuff better than this on a daily basis, and just write off anyone that hasn't payed me after 45 days. (unless I'm owed some real cash)

ConanB-poster.jpg

army-of-darkness-arms-in-air-poster-c10100244.jpeg

movie-poster-star-wars-5-the-empire-strikes-back.jpg

You know....this is artwork where you can see that some time and love went into it.

And here are some samples.....of....euuuuu.....difrent artwork.

peoplevsgeorge.jpg

star-wars-phantom-menace-3d-poster-debuts.jpg

Last edited:
This was a really cool sequence of events illustrating the problems with pursuing film as a career without studio backing.

In response to the filmmaker's time... he had to respond, as the initial statement could negatively impact his name personally as a brand for doing business in the future... potentially making it more difficult for the artist to get paid ever... specifically if he was trying to get more distribution deals figured out and the distributors felt there was a risk on their investment due to the negative "press", they would move their money onto someone who didn't have the risk. Staunching that leaky wound became an absolutely necessary business move.

As for the quality of the art work, the perceived worth of the product is irrelevant to the conversation... and I guarantee that the designer who made the phantom menace poster spent as much time doing paper and pencil sketches before collecting the pieces of artwork for the poster as the initial artists for the other posters did (who photoshop-wise did nothing more than slap some premade artwork and text onto a poster ;) )... the difference between them is that the ones you like use a single hand painted element whereas the others use delicately masked elements to get them to sit in the poster without showing any of the backgrounds from the source material, they are then colored to make them seem as if they live in the same space rather than being a bunch of separate elements. It's not just slapping some elements on a document and saying "DONE!"

First:

I have no idea how your personal taste in poster art has anything
to do with the two issues at hand here. Deferred payment and
online journalism.

Second:
I think Alexandre Philippe's reply shows that he has far, far too much time on his hands but he is, for the most part, correct.
I’m in agreement with knightly; Philippe has the obligation to
take his valuable time to set the record straight. That open
letter by Todd Brown was in poor taste. As we now know it was
written and posted in public without fully understanding the issue
at hand. I believe a person accused of being unethical should
defend themselves; especially if the accusation is so far off the
truth and reality.

I do not see this as an indication he has too much time on his
hands.

Not saying he's wrong to reply, just that engaging with the article in that manner indicates that he's got a fair bit of time on his hands. I think there's something a little bit sad about Directors who comment on articles about their movie (if this was Kris Hulpert we'd be singing to a different tune) but I respect that he can reply to an open letter and, indeed, I think he should. But that's a really excessive reply. I, as much as anyone, can see the sloppy journalism in the first article (not by Todd Brown, by the way) but I think there was a simple and concise way to reply and there was a bloated 2000 word way to reply.

Not saying he's wrong to reply, just that engaging with the article in that manner indicates that he's got a fair bit of time on his hands.
I get ya. Especially since you altered your wording from "far, far
too much time" to "a fair bit". I just don't feel that defending
yourself against this kind of on line journalism indicates having
too much time on your hands. I'm sorry you got the impression
from my post that I thought you felt he was wrong to reply. Not
my intent at all. I only though you felt he had far, far too much
time on his hands. Sorry about the misimpression.

I, as much as anyone, can see the sloppy journalism in the first article (not by Todd Brown, by the way) but I think there was a simple and concise way to reply and there was a bloated 2000 word way to reply.
You're right about my citing Brown. He did not write the open letter,
that was Dave Canfield.

I liked Philippe's reply and didn't find it bloated at all. I guess that's why
I do not feel this shows he has too much time on his hands. I thought
is was strong and forceful without being rude. I liked the rather sarcastic
humor he used and felt he needed the time to help others understand
how these types of payment deals work. Many people do not fully
understand - Mr. Canfield didn't - and this long post explained that process
well.

But I think it was just the wording; if you had said you think there was a
simple and concise way to reply I would have had no comment. It was the
"far, far too much time" comment that sparked my comment.

I understand your point better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back