Deceased Actors and their likenesses being used...

With CG constantly improving each year and photo-realism being much more apparent do you think that if a story requires a character to appear, and that character was played by a now deceased actor - is there a major ethical dilemma at work here in using their likenesses? If the family of the deceased actor gives permission for this do you think it makes it okay?

I wonder what sort of red tape they had to go through in order to legally do this. I wonder if it was permission from her estate or the rights to a certain film Audrey appeared in are secured for use in this...

The rights were acquired from her sons, who control her estate.

Good article on the re-creation of a dead film star:

http://www.framestore.com/work/galaxy-chauffeur

her son appears with her in the film 'they all laughed'
unfortunately it was a bad movie with hardly any audrey hepburn..

She was my favorite actress for a while, before barbara stanwyck.
She's still the most alluring and classy in my eyes.
I've seen 16 of her films.

I don't see it as an ethical problem so much, if the estate gives permission. On the other hand, when you consider that the dead person cannot give or withhold consent themselves, then maybe it could be. But the dead can no longer speak for themselves.

Now there's an interesting thought. If this becomes prevalent, maybe people -and their lawyers- who are concerned about it will start expressing their wishes in their wills(?).

I don't think I'll be too concerned about it until the Ministry of Truth starts utilizing it to rewrite history.

But then, what if Warner Bros., for example, should use it to rewrite history?

If you are a fan of Doctor Who, you will have seen the 50th anniversary special, The Day of the Doctor. In that movie length episode, they allude that the producers will be doing this after the 13th Doctor has run his course. As it stands now, once 13 is finished, The Doctor will return to the likenesses of previous incarnations. The creators used CGI to create almost all of the Doctors in the final scene. The behind the scenes was very informative.

I thought you could use a CGI creation of a deceased actor, as long as you don't use the actor's name. Cause then you could just argue it was a fluke or unintentional. But that's what I was told before, and I really don't know for sure.

Back