David Slade + 28 Days later film style ...

After watching David Slade's "Hard Candy" , I noticed there are scenes in there (usually with a lot of motion) where the film looks choppy, but still extremely sharp.

I see this in 28 Days Later during some parts as well

If anyone has any insight, that would be great.
:hmm:

I haven't seen Hard Candy and saw 28 days later awhile ago, but I assume its just a fast shutter speed, ala Saving Private Ryan.

Fast shutter speeds like 1/125th or 1/250th produces a razor sharp sequence of pictures, but it can be somewhat stuttering to watch compared to typical (1/48th or 1/60th) or slower shutter speeds, which tend to appear to blur in a more traditional cinema-like way.

Sure, it depends on how much controls you have, but a very common setting on even the most basic consumer video cameras allows you to adjust the shutter speed.

I should also add, for anyone thinking of increasing the shutter speed that doing so reduces the time that light is striking the ccd (1/125th of a second is roughly half of the length of time as 1/60th), therefore you will need about a stop more light every time you raise the shutter, and the opposite is true when you lower the shutter speed (this is a real secret many don't pick up on. You can achieve an EASY 1 stop gain in light by simply changing to 1/24th or 1/30th (depending on whether you are shooting 24p or 60i), however, don't go any further than that or you will get blurring, and on those shutters, only use on scenes without much movement.

Back