Dallas Buyers Club

I was very reluctant to watch this movie, but now I am happy I did. Another excellent movie well acted by Matthew McConaughey, who portrays a hillbilly from the American state of Texas. The movie has many social messages, but basically, it is about desperate AIDS patients seeking any remedy to prolong their life competing with the legitimate interest of the government to protect the public from untested and unproven drugs used in medicine. Alternative treatment is an old story. Many people have in the past flocked to Mexico or to the former Soviet Union seeking alternative treatment for cancer. This movie highlights the slow nature of the American Medical Community because of tort liability which a doctor or health facility faces. MC attempts to shortcut the system by smuggling unproven drugs to the USA only to be harassed by the tax collector and a pesty FDA. Surprisingly during the movie MC gives the stiff shoulder to a young homosexual aids victim by making it clear,no money,no drugs, a very ironic twist.

One last note, the first 39 years of my life was in a harden communist country. Only by means of the BBC or VOA did anyone know anything about GRID aka as AIDS. The government was in total denial. At least, the free world reacted to the new epidemic and provided education to the general public.

Back