• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

D&D fans in screenwriting/filmmaking - helpful or disaster?

I've been told there are many writers who write stories/fanfics for D&D, which means they are some kind of writers, and perhaps have connections. Good example - Win Diesel. But all the D&D fans I know are complete geeks, stereotypical nerds.

1) - They say they watch a lot of movies, know which one is good and which is not, and there are only two types of opinions - theirs and the wrong one.

2) - If you take 2 random D&D fans, their opinions will likely be the same. About everything. Of course they take it as an advantage over none D&D fans, saying it's because D&D fans are more "intelligent and creative".

3) - D&D fans are more likely to follow D&D rules when creating card/table games, even if they don't need to spend money on development, distribution, actors, employees and have no deadlines... like in movies.

4) - They watch with pity on people who are not D&D fans.

5) - They give crappy advices if you show them a script and offer partnership. But somehow, those crappy advices are supported by other D&D fans (see #2).

6) - They don't care if you fail BECAUSE of their co-writing and advices, and they don't care if they fail themselves. They are simply NOT ambitious.

7) - They know every damn creature and every bit of its physiology in the D&D world. Sometimes they know the real world animal anatomy, fauna. Some know real world physics very well. But they do nothing with all their vast knowledge.

8) - They say "you can write whatever you want and create your own laws for D&D", but when you do, you get so many critics for "against the rules" content... Well, yeah! You said "write whatever you want and create your own laws!"

9) - They can't stand any disagreement. If you are disagree, you're unintelligent caveman, who should never try to be a writer.

10) - Some of them can say that Earth is a cube, and everybody will believe them. Metaphoric, but still...

11) - The thing they love to do most is criticizing. What is funny, that they can talk about things they don't know, but everybody believes them.

Were all these advantages or disadvantages? I don't know, you decide. But the question is, how many such (or similar) geeks work in filmmaking industry? Luckily I have seen none yet. But when I do, will I have to go through them? And should I accept help from such geeks as I've described them above? Once I've heard a producer saying that internet geeks (like D&D fans) are what makes the 80% of distribution. If this is true, I can't just ignore this society.

Okay, this thread seems tailor made for me, so let's take a look...

1) - They say they watch a lot of movies, know which one is good and which is not, and there are only two types of opinions - theirs and the wrong one.
No, I think most D&D fans know the difference between taste and opinion. In that we know many of the movies we love kinda suck.

2) - If you take 2 random D&D fans, their opinions will likely be the same. About everything. Of course they take it as an advantage over none D&D fans, saying it's because D&D fans are more "intelligent and creative".
Not at all. Hell, we can't even agree over what D&D rules are the best (I like 3e, but with a homebrew magic system)

3) - D&D fans are more likely to follow D&D rules when creating card/table games, even if they don't need to spend money on development, distribution, actors, employees and have no deadlines... like in movies.
No, D&D fans are more likely to write their own set of rules. But we are more prone to making sure the game/movie/story holds to a consistent set of rules.

4) - They watch with pity on people who are not D&D fans.
Not at all. We know we're outsiders, and socially speaking, losers. We just don't care.

5) - They give crappy advices if you show them a script and offer partnership. But somehow, those crappy advices are supported by other D&D fans (see #2).
I don't think I understand that at all. Again, #2 is false, so maybe if you ask the person's friends, they might feel the same way. But odds are not.

6) - They don't care if you fail BECAUSE of their co-writing and advices, and they don't care if they fail themselves. They are simply NOT ambitious.
This just seems sour grapes on your part. Many D&D fans go on to make creative works. And most of us strive to achieve more than we have.

7) - They know every damn creature and every bit of its physiology in the D&D world. Sometimes they know the real world animal anatomy, fauna. Some know real world physics very well. But they do nothing with all their vast knowledge.
This one is probably true. There are more people who know game physiology than know real world physiology. Which indicates nothing more than they CAN know more about the real world, but choose not to. Most of the D&D folks I know are IT professionals, so know more about computers than you or I ever will.

8) - They say "you can write whatever you want and create your own laws for D&D", but when you do, you get so many critics for "against the rules" content... Well, yeah! You said "write whatever you want and create your own laws!"
Only if your rules are consistent. If you say a blue diamond gives you one chance to know someone else's thoughts, and you use it twice, then yes, you are going against your own rules. But as long as you are internally consistent, then I can't imagine anyone having any gripe with you.

9) - They can't stand any disagreement. If you are disagree, you're unintelligent caveman, who should never try to be a writer.
Again, sour grapes. Not saying there aren't folks like this, but it's definitely the minority.

10) - Some of them can say that Earth is a cube, and everybody will believe them. Metaphoric, but still...
WTF? Even metaphor-wise, no one listens to D&D fans other than other D&D fans....and we disagree with each other ALL THE TIME.

11) - The thing they love to do most is criticizing. What is funny, that they can talk about things they don't know, but everybody believes them.
Again, D&D fans are, by definition, outsiders and losers. NO ONE listens to our word as gospel. There certainly are people on the internet that like to bitch about everything, including things they like, but don't think anyone believes them. We know who we are.

So, are you writing a fantasy or sci-fi script? In that case, D&D fans might be good to go through for criticism. And not all criticism is created equally, of course. But someone who is focused on world building and narrative might be able to point out where you're dropping the ball. And if you are, it's probably not a good idea to dismiss their feedback out of hand (even if they aren't correct).

I've played D&D only twice (though I love the books and video-games) and absolutely loved it as an experience and wished it was more popular in my area. Since I'm a comedian, I mostly used the opportunity to get a bunch of laughs and joke around, but I still stayed true to the heart of the game. The one thing that I kept thinking was "this is an amazing creative exercise and this makes me want to write something"

I think if you use the old 80's stereotype of nerds and fantasy fans then you can be turned off to that type of person entirely, but it's such an inaccurate description of nerds and nerd culture, and even if it were true at one point in time, there is no shame in being a nerd today. Every form of media champions nerds these days. Nerds are proud comedians, writers, musicians, and movie stars. I don't need to create a list, in fact, it'd be easier to create a list of people who aren't nerds in this era.

And, if the discussion is against D&D fans in particular... Mike Myers is a huge D&D fan (no surprise that I tried it out, huh?) He's definitely one of the best screenwriters in history (and IMO the best comedian)

Last edited:
I am comfortable with this. By the by, mussonman, if you do decide to do a D&D parody series, I'm in for music. Would recommend watching the ones out there first (The Gamers/JourneyQuest, Monday Knights, Standard Action, etc)

So, are you writing a fantasy or sci-fi script? In that case, D&D fans might be good to go through for criticism. And not all criticism is created equally, of course. But someone who is focused on world building and narrative might be able to point out where you're dropping the ball. And if you are, it's probably not a good idea to dismiss their feedback out of hand (even if they aren't correct).

Then maybe we've met different D&D fans.

Yeah, I wrote a sci-fi script, but it's currently "on the shelf", because I'm writing a different script now.
I've 5 D&D criticizing my sci-fi script. Out of all of them I learned that they probably don't know what means, - "Don't tell it, show it!". They demanded my Sci-Fi world physics to be explained through at least 30 pages of the script, which should not exceed 120 pages as a spec. If I had moments when an artifact was causing an anti-gravity anomaly, they wanted me to find a science proof that such an anomaly is possible in the real world. Especially when my sci-fi is more like fantasy - a very, very soft sci-fi.

Secondly, in my sci-fi world, superpowers are not weapons of mass destruction, not capable of destroying cities. There are mainly for support, because most of confrontations are melee fights. A bit like Mortal Combat. But one of the fans told me that powers should be divine, they should ruin cities, otherwise they are meaningless. I had to explain him that my story is not what he wants to see.

And my friend, who connected me to those guys, gave me the most hilarious advice. One of my characters is capable of launching a shock wave. He told me to write in the script how many decibels is the power of the wave, instead of describing its outcome (how far it goes and what does it do). Suppose my script goes to a producer, and he reads, - "Bob unleashes a shock wave of X decibels ahead. He said that the producer should count himself, how far and how much damage a sound wave of X decibels should go. :lol::lol: C'mon! :lol::lol:

So, I don't know, I'm kinda afraid listenning to D&D fans criticism. They may be good in D&D, but they can't offer much without actual experience in cinema. About one thing I certainly disagree with you - people DO listen to D&D fans. When the amount of so called "outsiders" grows large, they are not outsiders anymore. And they usually greatly help distribution in a way.

I am comfortable with this. By the by, mussonman, if you do decide to do a D&D parody series, I'm in for music. Would recommend watching the ones out there first (The Gamers/JourneyQuest, Monday Knights, Standard Action, etc)

Wow, I didn't know any existed. Definitely gotta check them out.

I'm a big fan of the movie Your Highness. I wish they'd make some damn sequels to that movie. But, Danny McBride's got other stuff going on I guess, and that turd James Franco publicly said the movie sucks (Cuz he's such a great filmmaker, isn't he?)

Seeing this list of shows you've provided me, Josh, has turned me off from ever doing a fantasy comedy. :(

I don't like doing stuff that's been done a lot (I'd like to be the first person to make a comedy about a school shooting, for example)

WHY'D YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE ME WITH THAT LIST!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZAehEiP74

Yeah, sounds like your experiences are very specific to the crowd you've met. I've been playing d&d for about 25 years now, and have met a wide variety of people doing it. It's impossible to lump them in to a single group, other than liking d&d!

But still, they might have had a point. If you had an anti-gravity anomaly with absolutely no context, it would seem like a deus ex machina. You don't need to explain the mechanics in detail (though there SHOULD be mechanics, even if the audience never sees them; interal consistency and all), but if in Star Wars they didn't talk about the Force before showing Vader USING the Force, it wouldn't have made any sense.

I would like to see evidence that anyone listens to d&d fans other than themselves. The theatrical d&d movie certainly contradicts that point ;) Anyway, the number of people who play is still way in the minority, even here in the US (and I'd wager the proportion here is probably greater). I would say that they do not influence distribution in the least. I think the current resurgence in fantasy owes more to Harry Potter than D&D being popular (though I'd suggest many of the HP crowd has grown into D&D players)

Also, mussonman, don't give up on an idea because it's been done before. EVERYTHING has been done before. I'd rather see good productions than "unique" productions. And I like all of those things and would like to see more of it, so there's still a market! Learn from what others have done and use it to grow!

Also, mussonman, don't give up on an idea because it's been done before. EVERYTHING has been done before. I'd rather see good productions than "unique" productions. And I like all of those things and would like to see more of it, so there's still a market! Learn from what others have done and use it to grow!

I won't do it until I have a good idea. All I had was "I'd like to make this kind of thing" That's not how I start projects

I'm not so sure about that though... Your Highness grossed less than half of its budget.

What else has been done like that in Hollywood? Could it be because they don't think there's a market for it?

But still, they might have had a point. If you had an anti-gravity anomaly with absolutely no context, it would seem like a deus ex machina. You don't need to explain the mechanics in detail (though there SHOULD be mechanics, even if the audience never sees them; interal consistency and all), but if in Star Wars they didn't talk about the Force before showing Vader USING the Force, it wouldn't have made any sense.

I agree about internal logic, and I DO work on that. There is a brief explanation about the antigravity from one of the characters. But I don't see it necessary to write articles within (or attached to) the screenplay or stick to the real world physical rules. The real world doesn't have anti-gravity... well I do. It happens under certain circumstances. There is a parallel dimension, an unstable one. There is a device which stabilizes the gravity. When the device is under attack, the gravity fails in some places. If the device is destroyed, everything blows up. I thinks that's enough for the audience to know :)

Back