>> Creature Feature Monsters: How Do You Like Yours?

No ghosts or psycho killers. Just good ol' Man vs. Beast creatures.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/2011/06/top-10-modern-creature-feature-movies/

Do you guys have a preferencefor the size of your creature?

There are the over-sized monsters that pit human ingenuity and/or community against brawn. Godzilla, King Kong, 'Cloverfield' monster, 'Tremors' worms (or 'Graboids', Ha!), 'Jurassic Park' dinos, 'Starship Trooper' bugs, 'War of the Worlds' tripods, Anaconda/Jaws/Croc/Octopus/Sharktopus/etc.

Swarm mosters are kinda like over-sized monsters since they represent more like a force of nature, like fire or a tornado, where there's not "a single heart to stop." Zombies en masse, 'Arachnophobia' spiders, Piranhas, Gremlins & Critters, hormone aggravated 'Snakes on a Plane', etc.

Then there's the human-sized monsters which basically boil down to a boxing max or 'Mortal Combat' video game mentality of attribute vs. attribute. Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies (mano a zombo), Alien, Predator, 'Splice' girl, 'Descent' creatures, 'Terminator' T-800, etc. (There's a sh!tload of these. Probably at least 70% of the creature feature genre.)

The there's 'other', something that doesn't really fit into either category. JC's 'The Thing' creature, 'Splinter'... thing, 'The Ruins' plant, and the goo from 'Prometheus'. Very few of these.

For me, I love over-sized monsters, am neutral to negative about swarm monsters, loathe human-sized monsters, and am intrigued by entries in the too neglected 'other' category.

monster.gif
4.gif
MonsterSpiderPreview.gif
coffins.gif
Monster-09.gif

I like over-sized monsters, but not too big, then it gets stupid.

My favourite monster and favourite monster film is Gwoemul, or The Host.

hostndvd1b.jpg

Just watched that the other week!
The Weta animation was great.
The story, Asian-->American cultural differences aside, was.. odd, and not in a good way.

And I agree. If they're too big the concept does get kinda stupid. :yes:

Creature features aren't my favorite, but I think I lean towards "human-sized" or "other". Not really into daikaiju (godzilla, etc). A swarm movie can be fun (Arachnaphobia, as you mentioned, is a good time), though a good zombie film shouldn't be about the monsters.

But at the end of the day, I'll watch almost anything once, and you can't go wrong with classics like the Creature From The Black Lagoon or Them! (the opening of which is one of my favorite scenes)

Interesting leads, Josh! Thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikaiju --> Kaiju (怪獣 kaijū?, literally "mysterious beast") & Kaijin
Kaijin (怪人?, literally "mysterious person")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokusatsu

Yeah, I really enjoyed the first 'The Mummy' remake, (the second's fair, the third tripe). Vampires and werewolves I'm sick of. So the development hell entombed remake of 'Creature From the Black Lagoon' will hopefully not suck.
http://www.the-reelgillman.com/news/remake.html

I think I have a preference for 'human-sized' monsters, with the Xenomorph probably being my all-time favorite.

Not sure about giant monsters. The old B-Movies (like 'Them!' or 'The Blob') are a lot of fun to watch. Do the JP dinos really count towards this? Sure, T-Rex is big, but the raptors are man-sized... Either way, gotta love a good Dinosaur! I'm certainly intrigued by 'Pacific Rim' too. And the new 'Godzilla' should be worth a watch.

Do 'slashers' count towards this? Surely Freddy Kruger counts as a monster?

Do 'slashers' count towards this? Surely Freddy Kruger counts as a monster?
FK's kinduva supernatural-monster-slasher hybrid, I suppose.
Could consult 'Hoyle's' if you want!
1254640.jpg

He kinda does lean toward making for the third leg of the modern classic Jason/Michael/Freddy triumvirate, though - generally considered to be slashers. But not strictly so since he bridges the gap between nightmares and reality.

I Have 4 fer right now........all good storylines.

the-monster-that-challenged-the-world-poster2.jpg

220px-BlackScorpion1957movie.jpg

51PGm2INOYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This last one is from the great director who gave us Godzilla...a verry unknown kaiju movie but enjoyable..hope you watch and enjoy it!
space_amoeba02.jpg

yog-monster-from-space-movie-poster-1971-1010704510.jpg

Last edited:
I have no preference.

I will say, however, that the most underrated Creature Feature is The Mist. I love that movie, think I might watch it tonight!

The Monster that Challenged the World

Challenged? What a great word choice to get horror fans excited.

Don't know that I have a preference. My inner child who loved dinosaurs says you can't hardly beat the T-Rex. Raptors are scary because they're like little T-Rexs with the intelligence of pack animals, as portrayed by JP, anyway.

A lot of the scariest monsters have been human sized. Maybe that's because our ancestors (and that would include us too) had to fear predators -real world monsters- that were around our own size to a little larger: leopards, bears, tigers, lions, possibly canines, etc.

But the creepiest, nastiest monsters may be the ones that are like parasites like the xenomorphs or the slither creatures and also creatures like the Blob remake that digest people alive etc. Eek.

Huge creatures may not be the best type to build an entire film around, but it can be cool to give them cameos. I'm thinking of creatures like that one near the end of The Mist which is skyscraper sized. Or, on the audio commentary of Pitch Black, David Twohy speaks ruefully of how had they had the budget for it, there was a scene in which a living example of what those huge bones in the bone field belonged to would have crossed the camera's view. I think that would have been sweet.

After reviwing many of the animated GIFs at the following site I really don't care for gross and disgusting effects.

http://spidersexx.tumblr.com/

I've spent too much of my life in a medical setting/environment to be entertained by skull popping and delimbing the living.

I'm definitely in the spooks and monsters camp.

Is what it is.

Good Lorrrrrrd.
Were viewers daft enough to actually enjoy that back then or did they think it was pure cheese, too?
Looks like what SyFy currently commissions for their block filler.

I think I actually watched that as a kid back in the 70's.

Nice find, PM!
Thank you.

The YT linked period films are great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltNMWNjB8GE
Goodness. Gracious. It's CRAP-TASTIC!!!

Yeah, I'm like a dog. :}

T-Rex%20jurassic%20park.jpg

I hate big rubber suit Godzillas, but loved JURASSIC's T-Rex. It's not really the size of something, as even small children, knife wielding dwarves and rapist aliens can scare me.

alienpeek.jpg

Big spiders and worms can be scary, especially if you saw what this beastie did in GALAXY OF TERROR.

GalaxyOfTerror%2B%252830%2529.jpg

If I have a preference of scary size, it would be a creature the size of Shaquille O'Neal - big and threatening, but can chase you into your house and car. Aliens, werewolves and Predators fit in that category.

howling.jpg

Great White sharks scare me more than anything. They're big and they chew on you, all the while you are drowning in murky depths. They might just take a leg and leave you.

Jaws6.jpg

Back