Covering up those walls!

sfoster

Staff Member
Turn plain white walls into a background at a real house!
Lets hear some ideas.

I'll begin..

1) A photo of the character and or/his friends framed on the wall.

2) An end table with a lamp. Or just a tall floor lamp.

I might use an American Flag.. takes up a lot of space. Says something strong about a character to have a flag hanging up on their wall.

Definitely photos of friends and family, and an end table w/lamp as well.

If an American flag fits the character, I think that's great - just make sure that you pick one that's an appropriate size for where you're putting it.

If you have a friend who's a decent artist, see if you can borrow a painting or two of theirs in exchange for a credit.

A wall calendar is good too, as long as you're ok with setting the movie at a specific date/year.

Start with the characters financial situation. What reflects that? Then consider the emotional state of the character; add that into their financial situation. What about the characters profession, relationship/marital/familial status, etc.? All these should figure into your choices. After that, of course, budget will dictate most of those choices, so you will have to work much harder at dressing your set.

Meet someone. We live in 2016, make a post on craigslist or something.

A production designer can easily be one of the biggest differences in the final product that seperates you from an "indie" short and a quality short.

That's bullshit. If you're not a quality short to begin with, no one is going to give a rats ass about your set design.

Hm? You can't begin as a quality short. A lot of things go into making a short of quality work. A good production designer can be a large step towards that.

A good director alone can't make a good short, filmmaking is a collective.

Hm? You can't begin as a quality short. A lot of things go into making a short of quality work. A good production designer can be a large step towards that.

A good director alone can't make a good short, filmmaking is a collective.

Please name one film where set design was the "biggest difference" between being a quality film or not.
I can think of very few .. like the cabinet of dr caligari. almost 100 years old.

Sky… Foster… Behave yourselves!!!

98f0a5d7c85e1692a65de33765d5cfb7.jpg

Please name one film where set design was the "biggest difference" between being a quality film or not.
I can think of very few .. like the cabinet of dr caligari. almost 100 years old.

You realize that's impossible, right? The film would have had to been made twice, once with a production designer and one without to point it out for you.

I can point out The Grand Budapest Hotel that was perhaps the most recently acknowledged masterpiece set.

How many indie films have you seen? Are you saying every single one of them had perfect set design? You've never seen one where the set design was so good it improved the film?

Perhaps it's a difference I know because I've worked with and without production designers. I promise you, the ones with production designers look significant better.

Or it's the fact you don't notice good set design, you just notice the bad ones.

You realize that's impossible, right?

If it is so impossible how did you come to this conclusion?

"A production designer can easily be one of the biggest differences in the final product that seperates you from an "indie" short and a quality short."

Budapest is a good example - however - As I expected your example is is a film entirely centered around the set. It's about a hotel. That's a pretty specific niche in terms of production design and naturally it's more important than in a typical film.

Last edited:
Back