Copyrighted Music

So, what's the deal with copyrighted music? I've heard many theories/rumors so I'm not quite sure what the exceptions/restrictions are on it. Is it just that you can't publicize your film in any way or make any money off of it?

That brings up another question: in your films, do you use royalty free music, compose your own, or use copyrighted and use it for private use only?

Yes. When you obtain the rights to a song for use in ANY motion picture, you have to obtain TWO sets of rights.

#1. The publishing rights - meaning the owner of the "music & lyrics", which can be obtained via ASCAP or BMI. The cost is not that bad for these rights (depending on your negotiations & also the popularity of the music).

That's the one that concerns you.

#2. SYNCHRONIZATION RIGHTS, which is the specific recording of the song you use. So if you wanted a specific recording (studio or live), you have to purchase the rights to "synchonize" it to your picture. The costs will vary on ho wmuch of the song is used.

So even with CLASSICAL music, you don't have to pay for #1, but you will have to pay for #2, as someone owns the recording. You can have a cover band or another group record the music specifically for your movie and alleviate the expensive costs of #2.

I use royalty-free tunes (many from boardmembers such as the above SonnyBoo, LoganL and Ed Marchetti)

I'm nicking a tune from my brother's band for my latest misadventure, too :cool:

You can odten find people to write original scores for your shorts just by asking around the board... it's always nice to get paid for them, but some are looking to pad their resume as well. Don't ask, don't get.

It's just not worth it to get busted at some future point, by using unliscened tunes.

:)

Elite3CCD said:
So, what's the deal with copyrighted music? I've heard many theories/rumors so I'm not quite sure what the exceptions/restrictions are on it. Is it just that you can't publicize your film in any way or make any money off of it?
You cannot use other writers work without getting permission. If you don't get permission you cannot publicize your movie and you cannot even show it in public.
That brings up another question: in your films, do you use royalty free music, compose your own, or use copyrighted and use it for private use only?
There are so many composers out there willing to work for very little money on indie films I almost always hire a composer.

Or make friends with the bands. I have 16 tunes in You Are Alone...7 of which are original to the film, and all of the artists (except one) have recording deals. Offer to make a music video. Or talk to local bands. Most have demos, and would like nothing better than to get a little exposure. Give links...they're free. There are lots of places for music...just don't be unrealistic and think you MUST have this song by the Rolling Stones in your film.

And don't EVER let anyone sell you "festival rights" only...that's the same as holding you hostage. (We'll negotiate the real price when you get a distribution deal...yeah, right!)

I actually had the rep of one of my bands offer me festival rights. I passed, then went right back to the band, who gave me what I needed.

ALWAYS try to deal with the band. A lot of time they have reps who are looking for nothing but $$$ and are not thinking about the bigger picture.

If the band agrees, then their rep says something else...go back to the band.

You Are Alone site

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:
And don't EVER let anyone sell you "festival rights" only...that's the same as holding you hostage.You Are Alone site
That's funny because I've read many "success" stories of indie films where the director says that he had gotten festival rights, and only festival rights, from a local musician. I thought, wouldn't that be a bad thing? That sounds like great advice. I'll keep that in mind.

directorik said:
There are so many composers out there willing to work for very little money on indie films I almost always hire a composer.

Where do you find these composers? Or do you just mean local bands?

Elite3CCD said:
That's funny because I've read many "success" stories of indie films where the director says that he had gotten festival rights, and only festival rights, from a local musician. I thought, wouldn't that be a bad thing? That sounds like great advice. I'll keep that in mind.

Look at it this way...you get "festival rights'...you finally get a distributor for your film...they give you a small but decent advance...but you still have to deliver the music...and guess where that advance goes? For the music!

As for finding composers/bands...start with some cool indie cd...you'll be surprised how many bands want the exposure.

I called Tywanna Jo Baskette for my film. Loved her first cd, Fancy Blue. Next thing, I had 6 original tunes for YOU ARE ALONE.

Never be afraid to ask...worst anyone can say is no.

Elite3CCD said:
Where do you find these composers? Or do you just mean local bands?
There’s been a few on these boards http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=5850
is the only one I could find quickly - but I know I've seen others.

There are hundreds of messageboards all over the net dealing with movies and most of them attract composers. Universities and colleges that have a music department (especially with a degree program) are filled with composers looking for their first gig. And you'd be surprised how many members of local bands are composers - and not just songs for the band. A lot of post sound people are composers - check out places like craigslist and mandy for recordists and mixers. Many of them will give you a good deal on post sound if they can get a composer credit.

A good source of music is magnatune, http://www.magnatune.com . They have quality artists and a streamlined licensing mechanism. Most tracks are $44 each for film fests and art houses. You can preview all of their tracks for free because the low-fi tracks are availble under the Creative Commons noncommercial license.

If you have more bucks to spend I can recommend Downtown Composer Collective, at http://www.composercollective.com . Bill Ronan represents artists such as Kronos Quartet and Wayne Horvitz. Bill was the music supervisor for my last short film . He's a great guy.

Last edited:
That Magnatune has some awesome heavy-metal bands!
smiley_rock.gif

just checked magnatune out. your right zen, good headbanging. I dont know about the punk they have.... sounds pretty ordinary. btw, where do all these smilies come from? half off them i cant find in the list. do i have to become a premiere member to get more?

Back