Copyright for skateboard dvd

Hello indie forum

I have a chance to make a dvd for release through
My distributor of a skateboard dvd.

I have been involved in the extreme sports industry a long time here in the uk
And we have talked about making a dvd for years

We have a really talented band that are prepared to write the score

But I worried about basic copyright infringements

Ie. some of these guys where nike trainers, Levi's jeans, use iPods, drink Pepsi etc etc

I can get permissions from parks and wavers from people in the shots but do I need to worry about
What brands may glance on screen every now and then

This may be trivial but I wanted to ask before I start

Many thanks in advance

You may as well pay attention to details like that, sure.

chance to make a dvd for release through
My distributor of a skateboard dvd

I'm not 100% certain of how this is supposed to be read - who is the distributor? Skateshop? DVD distributor? At any rate, why not get ahold of some skate clothing companies, explain your amazing plan for your vid, and hit them up for skating clothes for your stars to wear? Exposure for them, and of course you'd have to end up with their permission. Time to sell out to The Man, maaaaaan. :cool:

You may as well pay attention to details like that, sure.

I'm not 100% certain of how this is supposed to be read - who is the distributor? Skateshop? DVD distributor? At any rate, why not get ahold of some skate clothing companies, explain your amazing plan for your vid, and hit them up for skating clothes for your stars to wear? Exposure for them, and of course you'd have to end up with their permission. Time to sell out to The Man, maaaaaan. :cool:

Hi thanks
Yes I guess in the edit process I can blur out any potential branding issues
And a good shout on other brands.
My main line of business is in sports products
My distributor has worked with us for years and we have a large network of
Skate shops we can supply to.
I don't want to miss the chance while it's on the table. Things like copyright cause me great
Concerns.

dude skate IS A FASHION industry, every brand name should be paying you a premium to be in your video! IF THEY DONT PAY THEY DONT GET THE HONOR OF BEING IN YOUR VIDEO. (or at least give you some free stuff :) )

Your thinking is so last century though.. DVD, physical distribution.. meh..

Leverage your "distribution" channel as a direct INCOME source. Meaning, that rather then make a physical DVD to sell in stores, you make free online branded content that is in effect ADVERTISEMENTS for those same stores.

You charge money for creating the videos directly from those stores. In addition you own the youtube channel hosting the vids and generate revenue from that.

Just a thought there certainly is still a place for DVD sales for niche markets, but you gotta see its fading fast ....

dude skate IS A FASHION industry, every brand name should be paying you a premium to be in your video! IF THEY DONT PAY THEY DONT GET THE HONOR OF BEING IN YOUR VIDEO. (or at least give you some free stuff :) )

Your thinking is so last century though.. DVD, physical distribution.. meh..

Leverage your "distribution" channel as a direct INCOME source. Meaning, that rather then make a physical DVD to sell in stores, you make free online branded content that is in effect ADVERTISEMENTS for those same stores.

You charge money for creating the videos directly from those stores. In addition you own the youtube channel hosting the vids and generate revenue from that.

Just a thought there certainly is still a place for DVD sales for niche markets, but you gotta see its fading fast ....

That's a really good idea, on all counts.
It didn't even cross my mind to do it that way round. Benefits to the consumers because they can watch for free
Many thanks

Ie. some of these guys where nike trainers, Levi's jeans, use iPods, drink Pepsi etc etc

I can get permissions from parks and wavers from people in the shots but do I need to worry about
What brands may glance on screen every now and then

This may be trivial but I wanted to ask before I start

Many thanks in advance
When I'm doing TV production, I have to cover up all brand marks and wear clothes without obvious brand names. My understanding is that this is for two reasons - the station does not want to "endorse" a particular brand by displaying it, and they don't want the brand having any claim.

This last part is what you're worried about, and I believe if the brand can present an argument that you derive value by using that brand, you're liable for damages. However, this is a skate show, not a "best nike shoes" show, and I really don't think it would matter.

You should do as wheatgrinder suggested, too. Think about monetization first, then do the same stuff you would, but with that set up poised to help you in the long run.

When I'm doing TV production, I have to cover up all brand marks and wear clothes without obvious brand names. My understanding is that this is for two reasons - the station does not want to "endorse" a particular brand by displaying it, and they don't want the brand having any claim.

This last part is what you're worried about, and I believe if the brand can present an argument that you derive value by using that brand, you're liable for damages. However, this is a skate show, not a "best nike shoes" show, and I really don't think it would matter.

You should do as wheatgrinder suggested, too. Think about monetization first, then do the same stuff you would, but with that set up poised to help you in the long run.

Makes good sense,
I do worry as I like to do things the right way.
I think I will do as you suggested certainly with drink bottles etc.
A lot can also be done in post.
its going to take months to gather the right footage so I will probably log potential copyright problems as I go.
Many thanks

there are small brands that make EVERYTHING.. I bet you can find a small energy drink or boutique soda company that will donate product to your production in exchange for FEATURING it in your production or at least give you permission to show it!

Back