Contest Ideas s2s2

Visual storytelling and filmmaking going hand in hand...

What was the last script with no dialogue that was produced by a major studio...?

It's fine and fun to make contests with all sorts of keyholes to fit through, and sure any writing exercise is a way to build the writing muscle, and etc. - but really, how many scripts are any of us going to write or produce that have no dialogue?

Again, I'm just asking. I can write pretty much anything.

This isn't a major studio though Steve, it's indietalk. ;)

But, to answer your question, I believe it was Legong: Dance of the Virgins

I understand the reason Filmy suggested it, as it would force the writer (AND director) to focus on the visual aspect of the story, not rely on dialogue to tell the story, which sadly seems to happen entirely too often.

I would love to get a short silent script to work with.. I've got some B&W Super 8 film stock that's been sitting in my fridge for a couple years waiting for the right project. Silent would be great, as currently only one of my two super 8 cameras is functioning, and it'll only do 18fps, which would be less than ideal for a talky.. :D

I would be for writing a script without dialogue -- simply because it is the hardest part of writing for me. But it would be an interesting challenge.

I understand that the contest can and will be whatever is eventually chosen, and I know this isn't Hollywood, it's Indietalk ("It's Chinatown, Marge!"), but....

Wouldn't it be better if we were working the muscles that might get us further ahead in the studio movie game? I mean, we can write fan movies, one page scripts, scripts where the lead character had to work a type of fruit into every sentence of his/her conversation....but will that experience benefit those who participate?

Not saying that everything has to be made/written/shot with purpose, but if people are going to invest the time, energy, money, creativity, whatever to participate, an appreciable benefit or practical angle to improving skill sets might not be so bad.

While I can certainly understand your concern, I think you're focusing on the wrong thing Steve..

The suggestion is to eliminate dialogue. So, yes, from a certain point of view it is limiting, but in the broader sense, it would force the writer to focus on writing visually, as filmy stated.. which is ultimately the essence of the film medium anyway. Telling a story with pictures.

This was done successfully for many years prior to the advent of synchronized sound tracks. I honestly think it's a good idea because it directly addresses an issue that rears its head time and again in small (and often not so small) indie projects.

By eliminating dialogue, you can not use it as a means of exposition. This is something that happens far too often. There are many examples, both on this forum and around the net, that clearly illustrate this point -- characters telling us what's going on, rather than showing us visually through actions, expressions, etc.

Once the visual part is solid, the dialogue supports it, rather than replaces it. So, in effect it's the same as telling people just starting out in film making to shoot a bunch of shorts, rather than jump into a feature project. Practice the basics, hone your skills, and then move on to projects with a new element.

Example: Shoot a bunch of shorts with locked down static camera shots. Work on blocking with the actors within that constraint. Then, move on to moving camera shots, using what you've learned/practiced of blocking, and adding the movement of the camera to further enhance the scene. Then move on to something else, over and over, ad infinitum.

Here, it would be the same thing, tell a compelling story visually, without relying on dialogue (which, lets be honest here... more often than not becomes a crutch that writers lean on). Perfect that, and you'll have something more compelling, watchable, and worth your "time, energy, money, creativity, whatever" than a mediocre script with dialogue. Then, you take what you learned from that and move on.

I'm not saying anyone in particular is a horrible writer, it's not my place to say, not being a writer myself. But fundamentals are important, and since anywhere between 55 and 90% (depending on which research you look at) of communication is non-verbal AND this is a visual medium, why wouldn't a focus on that particular fundamental element not be a worthwhile challenge? The majority of indie scripts I see, here and elsewhere more often than not is extremely dialogue heavy... Lots of talking heads and such.

So, I think perhaps that you're not seeing the whole forest, but rather are focusing on a leaf. I think if you try to look at filmy's suggestion from a different point of view you'll see that it would in fact be beneficial to improving skills that are valuable in film making -- both in writing and production.

Thanks, Will. I get the concept of the silent script as a writing challenge from all of those well-expressed angles. I'm not denying the value in filmy's suggestion.

I wrote a character into a script with the idea that he would never say more than three words at a time. It was fun and challenging to have him say everything he needed to say, in a natural manner, in three words or less.

I was basically just stating a preference in the form of a question - writing something without dialogue doesn't necessarily interest me at the moment. It might tomorrow, or when the full parameters of the contest are decided, but it doesn't at this moment. That's all.

Shooting something with no dialogue would be more interesting than writing something with no dialogue, IMO.

Back